Thread: Hullo Hullo!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hullo Hullo!

I'm absolutely terrible at introductions, so bear with me. I'm Claire, 17 (bit of a baby, I know :<), and I'm living in the countryside in the South-West of England. I've toyed with the idea of going to bellydancing classes for at least three years now, and I've been practicing and teaching myself a few moves and exercises, and generally improvising at home. I'm not exactly the most confident person, so it's taken me a lot of oomph to finally get up and go to classes. I started a few months ago, and, so far, it seems fun.

The only problem is, I've been enthralled by the Tribal style of dance for as long as I've been interested in bellydance itself; it was seeing it the first time that got me hooked in the first place. The class I attend is very much focused on the Egyptian style of dance which, I've come to learn, is very different indeed! I've got no plans to leave, however, since I need to build a repitoire of moves before I can branch off, and my classmates are a nice bunch of ladies. It's just a shame that, living in the middle of nowhere, the nearest stylized classes are hours away. I'd attend them all if I could!

I'm very much into the sewing and crafty side of things too, and I've had a lot of fun putting together some costumes of my own.

I was hoping I could pick up some advice on different styles, since I'd love to broaden my horizons, and get to know the global bellydancing community better, since, I'll admit, it's become my new obsession.

Hoping you're not all going to beat me off with sticks now!

~Claire

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think beating with sticks is likley.This forum has all kinds of info and a wide variety of people,all of whom will be happy to share thier knowledge.

Welcome

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Kuchi Cookie and happy posting!

Good for you for getting up the nerve to go to classes, it's definitely worth having a teacher to give you feedback and encouragement, and classmates to learn alongside.

Now why should anyone want to beat you with sticks?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome !!!
    Dont be discouraged !!!
    You got to stick in your class, egyptian style can give your great isolations also and other basic movements that can help you when you find a teacher on the style you like (Tribal, yes?)

Enjoy reading and posting

Maria Aya Greece

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Claire! And no-one will beat you with sticks (what an odd expression? completely English I guess?), especially as you seem so eager to learn! I agree with Maria, you can make a most of the class you have now and build a basis for the day you will finally get the opportunity to take tribal classes. Best of luck!!!
    Maariku

Post Thanks / Like

You will find that you need the moves you are learning now to be drilled so hard into your muscle memory that you can do them 2 automatically so that you can move on to layering - or 2 movements at a time. For tribal you may find that you need to practice chest and arm movements more than you do for egyptian, and you can do this at home. Anyway learning with an egyptian style teacher for the first year will set you up for any style - particularly if you practice at home. I am in the opposite situation. It is hard to find a local egyptian teacher, but I still go to whatever classes I can find to maintain my standards and also to get that all important feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou for such a warm welcome! You all seem like lovely people, and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it here! And I agree, it's a good idea to stick with my classes until I have a solid grounding. Besides, I doubt I'll be going to tribal classes until I completely move out of the area (I live in the middle of a giant forest :P).

Quote Originally Posted by maariku View Post
    And no-one will beat you with sticks (what an odd expression? completely English I guess?)
    May be completely English, may just be completely my dad's. When I was little, he used to tell me he'd have to beat the boys off me with a stick when I grew up. I've yet to see that happen though (Thank god!).