Beladi Comment/Compliment Question

Mouse

I wasn't sure where to post this question, but since it is in relation to a performance I thought this forum might be the place to put it.

Anyways, last night I performed at a 50th birthday party and afterwards I got a few comments and compliments which is always nice, but there was one that confused me a little. One guy was smiling and nodding (so it was obviously positive) and kept repeating "Beladi". My dancing was more Turkish than anything else, and there no beladi drum rhythm

I was wondering if anyone here might have any ideas as to what he may have been meaning?

Maria_Aya

The people were arabs?
Beledi, or baladi could mean in a way that your style was more near to baladi in the sense of everyday people (dont take it wrong, its a compliment from arabs). Plus you are in Australia right? well many of the people that live abroad (so if they were arab's living abroad for years) dont know many things about their dance back then, and they keep a feeling, so maybe you gave them a beledi feeling?

maria aya :)

Mouse

Thanks for answering Maria - very much appreciated. Yes, he did appear to be arab and I am in Australia, so what you say makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Aisha Azar

BEledi, etc.

I wasn't sure where to post this question, but since it is in relation to a performance I thought this forum might be the place to put it.

Anyways, last night I performed at a 50th birthday party and afterwards I got a few comments and compliments which is always nice, but there was one that confused me a little. One guy was smiling and nodding (so it was obviously positive) and kept repeating "Beladi". My dancing was more Turkish than anything else, and there no beladi drum rhythm

I was wondering if anyone here might have any ideas as to what he may have been meaning?

Dear Mouse,
Often Arabs with limited English will not have the right words to make you understand what they mean exactly, or they may think you do not have enough Arabic to understand them, so they go with words that they hope will suffice. For an Arab, the word "Beledi" does not necessarily attach to a musical rhythm or a dance style as it does for us, but instead it might mean that you remind him of something "back home", so to speak. Beledi, as Aya said, is attached to a feeling or idea rather than the things that a dancer attaches them to. I would say you got a good compliment!
Regards,
A'isha

Mouse

Thank you for helping to explain A'isha. I knew it was a compliment by the way it was said, and after hearing yours and Maria's interpretations of the comment, I have to agree its a great compliment to get. For me dancing is much more than just technique (which is of course very important), its also feeling, an emotional connection and if I can I try to draw my audience in and share that with part with them a little, so a comment like that is indeed a very good compliment. I may not be explaining myself very well, but hopefully you know what I am meaning.

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Compliment, etc.

Thank you for helping to explain A'isha. I knew it was a compliment by the way it was said, and after hearing yours and Maria's interpretations of the comment, I have to agree its a great compliment to get. For me dancing is much more than just technique (which is of course very important), its also feeling, an emotional connection and if I can I try to draw my audience in and share that with part with them a little, so a comment like that is indeed a very good compliment. I may not be explaining myself very well, but hopefully you know what I am meaning.

Dear Mouse,
I think that it is wonderful that you care enough to give your audience more than a few fancy movements!! The dance, as you have stated very well, is so much more than that!!
With respect,
A'isha