Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin Excellent!! Party On!!!

*goes all Bill & Ted and starts playing air zills*

Post Thanks / Like

I have a cheapo pair that came with a cheesy BD book and they sound horrible so I ordered a pair of silver practice zills to play with and they should be arriving in a few days.

When and if I become part of a troupe I will invest in some nice Saroyan or Zilgen zills.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw a review of dvd where someone uses alternate hands - supposed to make you faster. The reason I'm interested is I'm left-handed so trying to copy a right-handed player, I end up alternating and getting confused anyway. Does anyone know which one this is and is it suitable for a beginner?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Saw a review of dvd where someone uses alternate hands - supposed to make you faster. The reason I'm interested is I'm left-handed so trying to copy a right-handed player, I end up alternating and getting confused anyway. Does anyone know which one this is and is it suitable for a beginner?
    I'm also left-handed so copying any moves from a right-hander can be difficult for me as I'm not the most coordinated person.

Post Thanks / Like

Here everyone learns Dominant lead. It is easier in the beginning, but I think it makes things harder down the line. Still, it's tough to alternate (or lead left) if your teacher is chanting Right Left Right!

Post Thanks / Like

teachers don't do zills hereabouts as so I want to learn from dvd anyway? Anyone know which one I mean?

Post Thanks / Like

I am left-handed also. Luckily my teacher gets around the handedness question by using the method of calling hands 1 for dominant or stronger hand and 2 for filler hand.

The first pattern she teaches is: 121 121 1212121

The accent is not on the first "1" but the last of the first two groups like this song:

over HILL
    1 2 1
    over DALE
    1 2 1
    we will CROSS the mighty TRAIL
    1 2 1 2 1 2 1

Then another pattern is:

1 1 121 1 121

with the dominant hand keeping a steady rhythm.

I don't have any videos on this subject.

Good luck all!

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy that's a great way to remember how to do the zills. I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference whether you lead with R or L, it's just about being consistent. As a constant air ziller ('cos otherwise the family threaten to make me swallow them!!) I love my zills!!! sooooo much fun. I also use Drills, Drills, Drills zill drills (heh! ever tried to type that or even to say it?!!) but only when the family are out.
    I think learning zills really helps with learning the rhythm and keeping time even when you're dancing without zills. And it certainly helps learn the different rhythms. I've also got Solace's Rhythm CD, which doesn't always call the rhythms exactly the same as what I've learned in class, so I wonder if someone who is more knowledgeable could check whether they are accurate names for each rhythm?

**runs off to dance air zill to annoy the family **

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adiemus View Post
    Cathy that's a great way to remember how to do the zills. I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference whether you lead with R or L, it's just about being consistent. As a constant air ziller ('cos otherwise the family threaten to make me swallow them!!) I love my zills!!! sooooo much fun. I also use Drills, Drills, Drills zill drills (heh! ever tried to type that or even to say it?!!) but only when the family are out.
    I think learning zills really helps with learning the rhythm and keeping time even when you're dancing without zills. And it certainly helps learn the different rhythms. I've also got Solace's Rhythm CD, which doesn't always call the rhythms exactly the same as what I've learned in class, so I wonder if someone who is more knowledgeable could check whether they are accurate names for each rhythm?

**runs off to dance air zill to annoy the family **
    Heeey, I'm glad I'm not the only one who annoys her family with her zill playing! Air zilling is still a bit difficult for me, but I'm still working on it.

I have 4 or 5 books on bellydance, but only a couple of them have any advice on zilling. The one that I just now looked up is from "Bellydance" by Keti Sharif. The author only gives three zill drills, and I'm changing them to the 1-2 method instead of the R-L method the book uses:

Gallop - The author suggests using this rhythm for triple steps, hip drops or hip circles, or for fast-travelling "camel walk":

121 121 121 121

Baladi style - For slow step point, or sideways-travelling figure eight:

1 1 121 1 121

Repetitive - For fast hip lifts, or Egyptian walk:

The author also gives suggestions for zilling:

Less is more
    Plan when to play zills in your routine
    Do not play during taqsim sections
    Learn at least three different rhythms
    Change tempo accordingly to music
    Do not play during shimmying
    Play during fairly easy steps
    Be expressive and vocal while zilling
    Be graceful with your arms; keep them lifted, and change positions smoothly
    "When in doubt, leave zilling out!"

Hope that's helpful.
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 06-19-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from Cairo where I taught a finger cymbal class at Ahlan Wa Sahlan in which I teach how to play and dance at the same time without losing either the dance or the music and how to practice. I teach using "1" for the dominant hand (right if you're right handed, left if you're left handed, e.g. 121 121 121 or 121 121 1212121, etc.

I've observed many zill/sagat players in bands in Egypt and notice that almost all of them are consistent in using their dominant hand for the downbeat. IOW, they do not switch hands as in RLR LRL RLR LRL.

If you're left handed and have a right handed instructor try not to listen to "right left right" if she/he uses those words, try to watch your instructor's hands while facing her/him so you can play a "mirror image" to her/his hands. If that's not possible maybe you can tactfully ask for a "121" substitution for "right left right"? or maybe schedule a private class or two where you can face her/him while practicing zills.

Oh, and if your family objects to your playing them at home, invest in a pair of infant socks (thick ones) and put one on each thumb zill, covering both your thumb and the zill. No clangs, only soft thumps!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast