First Zills (And Problems That Come With)

jenc

Hear hear!! some US dancers have suggested that they ar essential. I wasn't going to learn cos I don't think it is. However, I'm considering learning to beef up my brain to stave off the dreaded dementia!!
signed "Who am I again"

Ankebuzz

Hehehe, there are about 6 of us all clattering away at zills in class now... and we're so terribly out of time with eachother, hehehehe....

We'll get there I guess!

I do believe there are some songs that can be "zilled" to... but it will always sound most in place in a live band :)

da Sage

To throw a brass spanner in the works. Is there anyone else who like me doesn't actually like listening to the dancer who clatters away to "canned music" with her zills?
I have no problem with a dancer playing them skilfully along with an Egyptian band..this seems somehow correct..They are musical instruments and she is one of the musicians as well as dancing.
But oh my... if I listen and watch the dancer who bangs away at her favourite pattern and drowns out the music she is dancing to, I get rather .......:mad:
At least few European dancers seem to do it!But I recently watched a US dancer and just wanted to see if I could see her "connection to the music" ..as you do! But couldn't hear the pieces through the godawful racket of her zills.:rolleyes:

I certainly don't like it if the dancer is "just clattering away". But if she chooses her patterns carefully, I don't see a problem with zilling along with recorded music.

And poor zilling (or over-zilling) happens with live music, too.:shok:

LeylaLanty

To throw a brass spanner in the works. Is there anyone else who like me doesn't actually like listening to the dancer who clatters away to "canned music" with her zills?
I have no problem with a dancer playing them skilfully along with an Egyptian band..this seems somehow correct..They are musical instruments and she is one of the musicians as well as dancing.
But oh my... if I listen and watch the dancer who bangs away at her favourite pattern and drowns out the music she is dancing to, I get rather .......:mad:
At least few European dancers seem to do it!But I recently watched a US dancer and just wanted to see if I could see her "connection to the music" ..as you do! But couldn't hear the pieces through the godawful racket of her zills.:rolleyes:
You are definitely not alone in not liking to listen to a dancer "clattering away" on zills with little or no regard to the music. When I teach zills I emphasize that when you play them you are essentially a member of the band whether the band is in the room with you or on a recording. Dancers who overplay the zills and dominate or cover up the music usually annoy the audience whether playing with a live band (who get even MORE annoyed than the audience) or with a recording. When you're a member of the band (live or recorded) you should have the courtesy to play *with* them not drown them out!

nightdancer

Renny,

They were some cheap things I got at a little shop in Seattle. I think I paid $8 for them. This was, of course, before I knew better. I havent bought a new pair yet, I was waiting for payday, since both sites were being stupid, I decided someone somewhere was telling me that it wasnt the day to buy zils.
Thoughts on what I should get?

Zorba,

LOL Oh my...I was about that frustrated, yes.

Jen,

Great idea, I will try that.

Have a good night, all,

Robynne

Radhiya_Taj

New Zills

My favorite pairs of zills are the larger ones, 1 silver the other brass. I do notice that the brass will tarnish sooner....if kept clean they play wonderful. Since both are larger zills I play them both ways, striking on the edge and center claps. I think it depends upon the sound you like or your music. For Tribal, I will play louder than using Egyptian music. I have not went back to the smaller size zills since, I've experienced the larger size. My zills are Sorayan, they have the best sound quality to me.

I have used an instructional DVD by FCBD and the "Zills on Fire" CD. I wish that would have started playing the zills sooner. I do enjoy playing them and encourage my students to start playing as soon as possible.

ShiroiOji

I actually had my first zill instruction today, and it was SUPER fun. I picked up a cheapie set of zills to practice with at Barnes & Noble, since there's a book with an instructional DVD and CD that come with it. I figured that for $6.49, I couldn't go wrong. The book's by Carolena Nericcio, if anyone's heard of that setup. It came with a tacky bindi too, but that won't see a whole heck of a lot of light! :naghty:

The zill instruction I have gotten so far has been a lot of fun, and I am working on coordinating finger movements with anything else at this point. At this point, when I start moving another part of my body in concert with the zills, my timing vanishes on my fingers. Of course, I am planning on really working it as much as I can tomorrow, (as much as I can fit in with ten pages of dissertation to write this upcoming week!) and then see what I can also fit in on Saturday night and Dunday before class again on Tuesday. I want to be able to at least walk and use the zills by next week. :shok:

da Sage

I actually had my first zill instruction today, and it was SUPER fun. I picked up a cheapie set of zills to practice with at Barnes & Noble, since there's a book with an instructional DVD and CD that come with it. I figured that for $6.49, I couldn't go wrong. The book's by Carolena Nericcio, if anyone's heard of that setup. It came with a tacky bindi too, but that won't see a whole heck of a lot of light! :naghty:

The zill instruction I have gotten so far has been a lot of fun, and I am working on coordinating finger movements with anything else at this point. At this point, when I start moving another part of my body in concert with the zills, my timing vanishes on my fingers. Of course, I am planning on really working it as much as I can tomorrow, (as much as I can fit in with ten pages of dissertation to write this upcoming week!) and then see what I can also fit in on Saturday night and Dunday before class again on Tuesday. I want to be able to at least walk and use the zills by next week. :shok:

I actually think that book/CD/DVD set is one of the best deals out there, even at "full price" ($20). The production quality on the DVD is not great, but it's an excellent setup for tribal basics. :think:*wondering where mine disappeared to*

ShiroiOji

I am so glad to have read this. We did zills yesterday and I was so frustrated, I was almost in tears. First of all, my zills suck. Second, I cant hear the rhythms for anything. My teacher said if you cant hear it, or lose it, to stop and let your feet or your hip pick it up, then go back. "The hip hears when the ear cannot".

I need new zills. I think perhaps if I had a different pair, I'd not despise zills so much.

**edit** trying to buys zills. Both Saroyan and Turquoise checkout processes are being harder than it should be. Making me stabby!

While I plan on getting another set eventually, as I will want a silver pair, (I am ALWAYS more attracted to silver than gold,) I have to say that I have been very happy with the practice set I bought for $6.49 at Barnes & Noble in the bargain books section; it came with an instructional book, a DVD, and a CD of performance music to practice to. I'd recommend them, should you be looking for a set to play with and get used to before making a real purchase. :D

I do know what you mean about getting frustrated though. In class, it was my first time on Thursday, and I felt like a MORON with them at first; trying to alternate hands was a pain in the bum, especially when my teacher had me try to step along with the beat I was trying to make. It was like learning to rub my tummy and pat my head, but to a beat! However, I have been practicing for the past three days, and I think I'm getting it. :dance:

Durrah

**edit** trying to buys zills. Both Saroyan and Turquoise checkout processes are being harder than it should be. Making me stabby!

You can buy Saroyan zils from The Belly Dance Shop out of North Carolina. Harry Saroyan doesn't keep his shop open every day. Shayda at the BDS is really sweet and helpful, I always go nuts at her booth at the East Coast Classic. Her husband is really nice too.

I have several sets of zils, all Saroyan:
Nefertitis. I've had these zils for 12 years and they still sound great. Just a small pair of student zils, I paid about $14 for them at the time. They're like $16 or 17 now.
Persians. Adorable and beautiful-sounding little zils. These are my current favorite.
Ghawazees. I loved these at the time I bought them but like them less now. I rarely play these anymore.
Tutankhamuns. I love these! I have small hands so these are about the biggest I can comfortably play. They have a great sound.

The silver isn't my favorite tone, it's too high-pitched. Shayda works closely with Harry Saroyan and says he takes the brass zils and dips them in silver. The next set I want to buy is the Mini-Grecians. BDS had them at the ECC and they are adorable! About the size of the Nefertitis and sound great.

My dance partner has Arabesques, Afghanis, both in brass, and a set of oddly-shaped Turquoise silver-coated zils. Those are the only Turquoise zils I have any experience with, and I'm not fond of them. I love Saroyan zils.

nightdancer

yay!! I have new zils! I got the Persian zils from the Bellydance Shop. They were literally here in 24 hours, I kid you not. I talked to Venus? about 3pm yesterday, I just got them.

I love the slightly lower pitch, too.

Darbla

Ansuya teaches a very brief zils pattern in one of her DVDs of RLR RLR RLR etc. But some of you also mentioned RLR LRL RLR LRL. So there is really no correct way when it comes to that gallop pattern? I know there are many other patterns, but just I just want to make sure I'm doing that triple gallop the best way from the start.