Post Thanks / Like

Default Saiidi / Assaya DVDs?

Can anyone recommend some good Saiidi / Raks Assaya instruction dvds? Have seen good reviews of the Nourhan Sharif one, but are there other good (& perhaps cheaper ones out there?

Post Thanks / Like

Hadia has one that is chiftitelli and saiidi/assaya. its a very nice DVD and very informative. It may be what you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Can anyone recommend some good Saiidi / Raks Assaya instruction dvds? Have seen good reviews of the Nourhan Sharif one, but are there other good (& perhaps cheaper ones out there?
    I like:
    Lubna Eman – Saidi Workshop – Dallas, Texas – March 2005 (Little Egypt)
    Saidi Dance with Metkal Kenawe
    Aida Nour: Cane

I am not sure you can get them cheaply though.

Amarise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saidi/assaya

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post

Dear Hyacinth,
    Shareen el Safy has a great video on which she teaches Saidi. You should be prepared to hear her speak on the subject as well, and she is long winded, but the info is well worth hearing.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Hyacinth,
    Shareen el Safy has a great video on which she teaches Saidi. You should be prepared to hear her speak on the subject as well, and she is long winded, but the info is well worth hearing.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    I'll second this. The video is called "saiidi for the stage" and while it doesn't include cane moves, it has alot of steps and interesting combinations that I have culled out and incorporated into my dancing. The video loosely teaches a choreography, but I generally just use Shareen's videos for the "parts".

I will also second Nourhan Sharif's cane video as being good. This video starts from the beginning with respect to cane, showing how to hold it, spin it, etc. Then progresses to fundamental Saiidi dance steps, then puts it all together in some interesting combinations. She does a very short performance at the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the speedy suggestions everyone - I'll have a look for some of these.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to third Shareen's "Saidi for the Stage". She does a choreography to Ala Nar using movements by Mona, Dina, and fifi. She is excellent for history and technique. VHS used to be $50 on her website but now she is selling them for $335 each or 3 vhs for $99.