Spreading it about: I don't wanna!!

Eshta

Heyas,

Does anyone know how far I have to spread myself about a bit on the reputation front before I can re-rep the people I actually WANT to give reputation to? Seems a little unfair, as the same greedy people keep coming up with all the clever comments. If only they'd spread it about a bit...!

Seems this way that the rep is a bit skewed. I understand we're not all supposed to vote for our mates, but this way seems biased against those who make more than their fair share of intelligent comments!

Please put an end to my agony before I go on a massive rep orgy?!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I am having the same issues:( Actually I just tried to give rep to someone that I haven't even given rep to and it says I can't give it to the same person. Also I have had the little message say I can't give to the same post?? ... Sometimes someone makes a great point and you want to give recognition and can't therefore.... formal protest :protest:
~Mosaic

Salome

Administrator
Hmmm I dunno what can be altered, I will need to talk to Anatoliy about that. I know that it is set up so that you can't give negative reputation repeatedly or brownie points either. But I see your point... maybe the numbers can be adjusted a bit. I'll check.

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

thT would be cool! I understand that it is made so that buddies just did not rep each other up, but then it does not make sense- to go and rep 20 others for nothing would be silly too...

Mosaic

Super Moderator
LOL! what happened reen, seems your post wanted to be heard:lol:

Anyway Thanks for looking into the prob Salome, I just find that sometimes a person will write something I find interesting/profound etc then maybe a few posts later they may offer something else that resonates and it seems a shame that you can't acknowledge that with rep, but if it can't be altered I will just have to mention to the poster via comment in the post I suppose:)
~Mosaic

Moon

Well, there are people with extreme good posts who post very little and people who post a lot and only make extreme good posts once in a while....
So they will end up having the same amount of rep, not fair either I guess.

I think this whole reputation system should not be taken so seriously. Just telling the person through pm or post "I really like your post" is flattering enough.

I wish this reputation system just wasn't there if people really think it's so important. You can just tell people their post is good.

Shanazel

I agree with Moon- the whole rep thing is my least favorite part of the forum and has always made me a little uncomfortable. Must be some form of PTSD left over from junior high popularity contests.

I was going to give you some rep for opposing rep, Moon, but the program wouldn't let me.;)

karena

I've had this problem too. 20 seems a bit extreme with the number of people that actively post sensible stuff. I think I'd have to give rep for the sake of it to hit 20, and I have now got stuck unable to rep people I want to rep. But I do see the point of a limit for the whole not just repeatedly repping your mates thing.

My word, what I pointless post I have created, but I don't want to waste the effort now...

Aisha Azar

Rep

Dear Gang,
I think I am in favor of Rep. It is a nice compliment to those who receive it. Once or twice, it has even served to remind me that my opinions have value here, when someone pointed out how much Rep I have! I also get frustrated when I can not pass it to those who I think deserve it and I am happy that Salome is looking into perhaps getting the rules changed for how often we can "Re-rep" someone. I just looked and I suddenly have 100 points of Rep. It makes me feel loved!
Regards,
A'isha

Eshta

Well, there are people with extreme good posts who post very little and people who post a lot and only make extreme good posts once in a while....
So they will end up having the same amount of rep, not fair either I guess.

How is that not fair?

I think this whole reputation system should not be taken so seriously. Just telling the person through pm or post "I really like your post" is flattering enough.

I wish this reputation system just wasn't there if people really think it's so important. You can just tell people their post is good.

I don't think it's 'really important' nor to be taken so seriously, but it is a sweet little feature. I don't want to go to all the bother of writing a post or a pm just to give someone a thumbs up, I like quickly clicking a single icon. It doesn't make or break the forum! But it is annoying whenever I try to use it, that I always get an error message.

Salome, thank you! I would rep you but...:D ;)

Moon

Because the other person makes more great posts, relatively speaking ;)
And what's up with the latest reputation squares system? A'isha has twice the amount of green squares as me and we are only 8 reputation points apart. Now how is that fair??? :lol:

I'm also bothered with the spread around feature at times, but then again it would be a lot worse if you could give as much as you like.

adiemus

Here's a thought: what if there was an icon that you could click to send a 'bouquet' to the person - that doesn't show up to anyone else? That way you could let the person know you really enjoyed their post, but it doesn't become a love-fest (or a hate-fest) that is visible to all. You'd get the buzz of the thought from someone that they enjoyed your post, but it wouldn't be out there for everyone!

Salome

Administrator
Anatoliy and I looked into it, it is possible to change the numbers. Not to say that there are not valid points in support of altering the numbers but after talking about it we opted not to noodle with it. It is set up that way to keep it from being unfair in terms of building or taking away reputation... Sorry, I hope it's not too dissapointing. I love the flower idea, that's sweet!