Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Brea; 05-15-2009 at 08:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Australia we have community centres, where all sorts of classes are held, painting, mosaics, weightwatchers, computer courses, bollywood and bellydance etc, etc. The community centres are cheap and meant to be so, so that people of all socio-economic levels can afford to join a class of interest. I don't know whether UK has such centres, but maybe your teacher could look into it. Community centres are not attched to any religious affiliation, but to one's local council.

It is such a shame that some people are so prudish and can't see beyond the flesh, to a group of people having fun.

Most church halls here seem to be OK about BD or other type of dance classes, but I am sure there are some people who think it is "not seemly".

Don't give up, get your teacher to get in touch with the local council, or does anyone in the class have a rumpus room or large room that could be used for classes, even an unused garage that could be tissied up. Another thought is an unused wharehouse somewhere. An owner may be happy to have a bit of rent for such a place, and all the students could get together to paint and primp the place, cheaply.
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

*sigh* I'm still struggling with the issue, but I think part of it for me, personally, is that I've always regarded my church as a spiritual haven from the regular world. Kind of like how I feel about camping and hiking: I go camping to get away from technology (at least as much as possible). I love being in the peaceful outdoors, away from telephones (I bring the cell only in case something bad happens, like a breakdown or if we get in an accident), away from microwaves, TV, video games, and all the distracting noise-makers (okay, we bring the kids). I just like keeping certain aspects of my life separate, so I can rejuvenate.

I'll tell you what IS a sin though: that gosh-awful, hideODEOUS dance studio where my poor teacher holds her classes. The building is black and pink, and is dripping with fur boas in hideous colors all over the walls, zebra patterns, Pepto-Bismol pink decor, and...and...well, you'd just have to see it to believe it. It looks like the girls from the movie "Clueless" were the interior decorators, and they just threw up all over the place.

Post Thanks / Like

Cant you ladies and your teacher wrte to them? Maybe try to explain? I know that prolly wont help but maybe worth trying? It does sound like that lady freaked out cos of her bra... ( my teacher was always wearing a sleeveless top , and show stomach only when needed to demonstrate certain moves)...

I wish you best of luck with finding a new studio. And as for me- dancing expresses joy of living, that in my mind CAN be a form of worship. I would always consider other people's feelings (mmmm I have been to churches where you cant go with your head uncovered, forget about pants or short sleeves)...

And HEY did not Alexandros dance in a Catholic church????? I think whatever his grieves were with the music system, I personally think it is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they need time to get used to the idea, and perhaps writing them a letter explaining just what middle eastern dance is, as Reen.Blom suggested might be a good idea.
    I can remember when I was a teenager in the early 70's and our (catholic) church decided to have a "guitar" mass just for the younger church goers rather than with the traditional pipe organ. They brought in two or three acoustic guitars, a tambourine and a couple of other instruments that I can't remember right now. Right up there next to the altar. You would not believe the rucus that caused. Guitars in church?? We were heathen. Only the devil could be behind such a thing.
    The more closed minded people avoided the 9 o'clock mass like the plague...and complained for years afterwards that it was a sin to play a guitar in church. But curiously enough, it was the only mass that had every single pew filled to overflowing and people even standing in the back and on the sides.

Regards
    Priscilla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PriscillaAdum View Post
    Maybe they need time to get used to the idea, and perhaps writing them a letter explaining just what middle eastern dance is, as Reen.Blom suggested might be a good idea.
    I can remember when I was a teenager in the early 70's and our (catholic) church decided to have a "guitar" mass just for the younger church goers rather than with the traditional pipe organ. They brought in two or three acoustic guitars, a tambourine and a couple of other instruments that I can't remember right now. Right up there next to the altar. You would not believe the rucus that caused. Guitars in church?? We were heathen. Only the devil could be behind such a thing.
    The more closed minded people avoided the 9 o'clock mass like the plague...and complained for years afterwards that it was a sin to play a guitar in church. But curiously enough, it was the only mass that had every single pew filled to overflowing and people even standing in the back and on the sides.

Regards
    Priscilla
    Hey hey How about organ+trumpet+guitar+tambourine+bongo drums.... LOL Actually THAT sounded awesome and still rather traditional, but well the pastor was on the bongo's.... ha ha

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PriscillaAdum View Post
    Well, what with Jesus being from the Middle East I would've thought an oud would be more appropriate!

Post Thanks / Like

Default No comment.. i'm angry 2

I'm angry to.. orcourse its not a lap dancing.. people get serious..
    I need some advice, I want to practice belly dance at home.. can someone help me?
    Thx..
    Malena

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    *sigh* I'm still struggling with the issue, but I think part of it for me, personally, is that I've always regarded my church as a spiritual haven from the regular world. Kind of like how I feel about camping and hiking: I go camping to get away from technology (at least as much as possible). I love being in the peaceful outdoors, away from telephones (I bring the cell only in case something bad happens, like a breakdown or if we get in an accident), away from microwaves, TV, video games, and all the distracting noise-makers (okay, we bring the kids). I just like keeping certain aspects of my life separate, so I can rejuvenate.

I'll tell you what IS a sin though: that gosh-awful, hideODEOUS dance studio where my poor teacher holds her classes. The building is black and pink, and is dripping with fur boas in hideous colors all over the walls, zebra patterns, Pepto-Bismol pink decor, and...and...well, you'd just have to see it to believe it. It looks like the girls from the movie "Clueless" were the interior decorators, and they just threw up all over the place.
    I would dig classes in a studio like that. In fact, I'd be happy to LIVE in a place like that (minus the fur boas, of course).

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    I would dig classes in a studio like that. In fact, I'd be happy to LIVE in a place like that (minus the fur boas, of course).
    You could always move here to my home town! Hey! Then we could be in the same class together! Oh, wait, maybe not; you're a much better dancer than I am.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast