ME IS ANGRY ANGRY! Belly dancing is NO lap dancing!!!

trang1808

my parents don't allow me to study this dancing. they think it's sexy and blablabla... I can't change their mind but I will still learn about it.:dance::clap:

lizaj

my parents don't allow me to study this dancing. they think it's sexy and blablabla... I can't change their mind but I will still learn about it.:dance::clap:

I am afraid they are right...whatever way you turn it this is a sensual dance if not downright sexy.
I am also afraid you have to respect your parents wishes until you can put togther a good enough case you show them it can be beautiful and tasteful and classy as well .

da Sage

You could always move here to my home town! Hey! Then we could be in the same class together! :D Oh, wait, maybe not; you're a much better dancer than I am. :confused: :(

That would be fun! And while I've been dancing a little longer than you, honestly, that's no guarantee that I'm a better dancer. If only it were that simple! :pray:

Caroline_afifi

I think it is not really about the church but the people who run/organise the buildings. I have had rented offices in churches (for work). The vicars have been gorgous whilst the volunteers have been like little Hitlers.
It is probably a personal decision made by the woman based on her own morals.
However, when usuing a building connected to any religon, we have to consider sensitivities, and wearing a bra top for class maybe crossing someones sensitive line.

Moon

Lizaj said:
I am afraid they are right...whatever way you turn it this is a sensual dance if not downright sexy.
I am also afraid you have to respect your parents wishes until you can put togther a good enough case you show them it can be beautiful and tasteful and classy as well .
I think her parents mean sexy as like "sleazy". And "learning about" can orfoucse also mean reading about, watching videos, discuss things with the members of this forum... ;-)
I think it's great when teens try to learn about our dance instead of just copying Shakira and think they can dance.

jonquil

What a strange experience. It is curious to know that some people have very twisted perceptions of bellydance. I bet the people that criticize bellydancing for being too "sexy" or sinful simply ADORE ballet, even though ballerinas also wear skimpy costumes, and - even worse - the movements are not natural and can cause damage to the dancer.

Many churches offer areas for community activities; but since they do own the building they have the right to kick out whoever they want. Very Christian-like. :rolleyes:

Reen.Blom

Many churches offer areas for community activities; but since they do own the building they have the right to kick out whoever they want. Very Christian-like. :rolleyes:

Well suppose if someone did something you did not approve of in YOUR building, you would also kick out? LOL:think:

lizaj

What a strange experience. It is curious to know that some people have very twisted perceptions of bellydance. I bet the people that criticize bellydancing for being too "sexy" or sinful simply ADORE ballet, even though ballerinas also wear skimpy costumes, and - even worse - the movements are not natural and can cause damage to the dancer.

I think you can safely put a belly dancer in her bedlah or two piece alongsid a ballerina in her simpy tutu and there being no contest as to the sexier of the two.:D

lizaj

I think her parents mean sexy as like "sleazy". And "learning about" can orfoucse also mean reading about, watching videos, discuss things with the members of this forum... ;-)
I think it's great when teens try to learn about our dance instead of just copying Shakira and think they can dance.

I have no daughters but I do not have grand daughters and no way do I want them exposing to the sexual side of life before they have had a childhood. I am afraid this happens all too readily now. Parents are driven by desire to keep their children safe and this sometimes means covering their eyes to life. If a girl appears to look too sexy ( and I don't mean sleazy) many dads get very worried about their safety and in religious families a modest daughter is essentail, isn't it? Christian, Muslim or Jewish.

Moon

Well, in the countries of origin kids also dance. It doesn't have to be "too sexy", the more social and folkoric styles can also be done, in a belly covering costume even.
I don't know how old Trang is, but most teens already are more are less exposed to the sexual side of life long before they are 18. If only by watching mtv...
I agree Trang can better not perform publicly before her parents agree with it, but I don't see what's wrong with watching dance videos, trying out some moves in your own bedroom and reading about it as much as you like.

Reen.Blom

Well, in the countries of origin kids also dance. It doesn't have to be "too sexy", the more social and folkoric styles can also be done, in a belly covering costume even.
I don't know how old Trang is, but most teens already are more are less exposed to the sexual side of life long before they are 18. If only by watching mtv...
I agree Trang can better not perform publicly before her parents agree with it, but I don't see what's wrong with watching dance videos, trying out some moves in your own bedroom and reading about it as much as you like.

Well as long as parents dont mind the 'bedroom' learning.... Will they mind you trying with a DVD?