Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

After communicating with vBulletin and our hosting provider it looked like there were two possible avenues the hackers used to get in. One is a hole in the vBulletin software and the other a security issue with our hosting provider. To eliminate the latter, we moved the forum to a different service provider. So we closed the board ourselves while we were doing that maneuver. It's freaking huge and takes forever to transfer.

While we do back up the forum, I'm glad they didn't delete it. It looks like they just replaced the homepage with theirs. I know they sent members a weird email, and we apologize for that! It appears that they were not able to access anyone's email address. It looks like they sent their email through the forum system mass member email feature. All passwords are encrypted. Even if someone gets Admin access they are not visible.

That's all I have to report for now.

Post Thanks / Like

I never received an email from the hackers.

Post Thanks / Like

What a pain. I've moved sites from one hosting provider to another in the past - its tedious even with a small site. And there's always "some issue" that doesn't work the same way on the new site that has to be fixed, although very careful coding will minimize (but not eliminate) that.

Good on Salome and Anatoly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arabella View Post
    I never received an email from the hackers.
    Could be because in your user cp you have that featured turned off/disabled...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    What a pain. I've moved sites from one hosting provider to another in the past - its tedious even with a small site. And there's always "some issue" that doesn't work the same way on the new site that has to be fixed, although very careful coding will minimize (but not eliminate) that.

Good on Salome and Anatoly!
    Yeah, pain in the booty! Anatoliy was up till 4 am moving all the files. I had to give it up and go to bed at around 2! Thanks for the kudos

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    Yeah, pain in the booty! Anatoliy was up till 4 am moving all the files. I had to give it up and go to bed at around 2! Thanks for the kudos
    Aw, you guys! We really appreciate all the hard work that you put into this site.

Post Thanks / Like

I second that.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question to pose to all our members. First a bit of back ground...

When there is a hole in vBulletin software, hackers use Google and other search engines to search for folks using, for example, Version 3.7.1 vBulletin forum. The search engines return results of websites using this 3.7.1 vBulletin forum. So you can be hacked at random and it's not a personal attack OR if I had a particular grudge against something I found immoral, let's just pick something at random... how about belly dance. I'm a hacker and I know of the hole in this version of vBulletin, I can do a simple search and viola. The hackers visit, enter through the hole they know exists and do their thing.

If you search in google "3.7.1 vBulletin dance forum" we are on the first page in fourth position. If you search "3.7.1 vBulletin belly dance forum" we are on the first page and occupy the first 3 positions. Suffice it to say this forum is very visible.

Aside from upgrading, patching, moving servers etc. there is one additional thing we can do to protect ourselves. And that is eliminate the text "powered by vBulletin" from this entire forum (you can find that at the bottom of every page on this forum and other forums by vBulletin).

I should say that this will not completely eliminate the possibility of being hacked but it will greatly reduce the chances. As google and other search engines will not 'see' any vBulletin text, our forum will not be returned in results when hackers search for any version of this software.

This is available from Jelsoft but it will cost us an additional 120 US dollars per year. This forum costs Anatoliy and I about 700.00 dollars a year, not including the above mentioned. That covers the license for the software, domain name, monthly hosting etc. Which we are certainly happy to pay! We were wondering though if any of the members would be up for donating a bit toward this additional 120 expense. Let us know your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    We were wondering though if any of the members would be up for donating a bit toward this additional 120 expense. Let us know your thoughts.
    I don't mind paying something, It's a great place to hangout and you and Anatoliy do a fantastic job.

Thanks heaps for the hours of upkeep you put into this

~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Well, I'm old, bitchy, and a MALE! That'll fix 'em for sure!
    Hackers beware! Zorba is here .... along with a few cranky old dames - myself included ancient and dancing and all - I'm pretty good at mixing cement and I am sure we could fashion a few sets of concrete shoes to encase young hacking whipper-snippers in. Oh what punishment to stand them in a row and all the olds gather round to dance with shimmies, zills loudly playing, landing the odd swipe with veil and cane ... now would that, do you think scare them away, never to be seen again!
    ~Mosaic

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast