Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsyroze
    think there is a time and place for it, but most importantly comedy is difficult to pull off, even for actors. So I would think that the dancer would have to be talented and know exactly what he/she is doing.
    Very true. I also think general audience wouldn't get it, so performing for people who actually KNOW the dance and know what is going on is best IMO. As is stating that it is comedy from the start.

I liked the second clip best by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer comedy in little snips rather than an all-out "comedy" routine, in belly dance. Some of the funniest things I've ever seen have been dancers' lightning quick reactions to something gone wrong during their performance. Kashmir, a pal of mine in this town, once did a rather energetic cane (possibly a bit too energetic, if I'm honest), and caught her hook in the back slit of her dress, pulling her skirt up (she was facing front). She just did this hilarious double take of shock and mock embarrassment, unhooked and carried on. Another time - the best ever! - I saw Cassandra Shore dancing close to a light bulb, where there was a fluttering moth. The moth kept fluttering and fluttering in front of her so she grabbed it mid routine and tossed it away. God it was funny. Cassandra is actually very funny, in a highly subtle, arch sort of way.

The times I have laughed most at BD though have tended to be when watching friends poking fun at themselves. They'll be dancing perfectly straight, but they have this *expression*.

I don't think comedy dance is well done as a rule. I was really disappointed when I saw some comedians whose act revolved around themselves as flamenco dancers. Thing is, I don't think they actually knew any flamenco at all. They just stomped about and fluttered fans. To me, even with my minimal knowledge of flamenco, there were things they could have done that would have been clever and, you know, related to flamenco in some real way.

Post Thanks / Like

Slightly off topic, but I think many belly dancers take themselves and the dance too serious. That's why I like comedy, it makes things a bit lighter.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to take yourself too seriously and survive the inevitable mishaps of performing.

Once upon a time in a performance long long ago, I managed to slip on my veil and come crashing down onto my dear little bottom. I smiled naughtily (once I got my teeth out of my tongue), spun around on said bottom while wafting my recalcitrant veil overhead, and undulated my way back to my feet. The world did not end, I did not die of embarrassment, and the audience laughed and applauded like I'd done something clever.

I love the story of the lifted skirt! It's not the mistake that's important- it's the recovery.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading in the memoirs of a very famous Russian clown and actor Yuri Nikulin that when he was about 7 he saw a clown in a circus stumble and fall down several times in the ring. Everyone found it hilarious. So Yuri decided to repeat the same trick at his friend's Birthday party. Suddenly he began stumbling and falling. His friends and their parents were very concerned and felt sorry for him but no one found it funny. So where, how and who is performing makes all the difference!

Post Thanks / Like

Marisha,
    That is a great story, and is very very apt! Context is important!

I think what helps is when a dancer shows that they *know* how to dance, but *choose* to do something funny. Most comedy, sadly, is done to mask bad dancing, or to replace good dancing. To be really funny, you have to show that skill, and the conscious choice at humor. Otherwise, like in Yuri's story, it makes everyone shake their heads...

Post Thanks / Like

It's really a bad sign if you *think* something's a comedy routine, and it turns out to just be bad dancing (or bad presentation).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    It's really a bad sign if you *think* something's a comedy routine, and it turns out to just be bad dancing (or bad presentation).
    OMG, I had that once with a famous German dancer, till today I still do not know if it was comedy or serious. Back then, me and my friends were trying very hard not to laugh our heads off during the show, and we were extremely surprised we were the only ones who thought it was so funny. Must be the BOB in us
    What he was doing? He was doing everything in extremes, doing a stick dance just way too fast, belly dancing in a jumpy clowny way. It was all very exaggerated so it seemed logical that it was comedy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliment! I try to make sure that my technique can back it up, so no one can say it is just a gimmick.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default comedy performances

yes i agree Amulya for a bellydancers audiance it,s great i think ,to have fun about things that can go wrong enz...i think its nice why not? but not for your normal audiance i think aswell it will not be understood...about .Dondy ,she told me some years ago when she visited me that she did not realy wanted to be a bellydancer at first ,but she wanted to be an actress..specialy in comedy .so i geuss her wish came treu ! that is what i was thinking when i saw this part of marilyn...and to make your audiance smile yes i am aaaaal for it ....lydia

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast