Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I really, really hate "bad dancing" comedy. It's not funny. And you risk being in a lineup with people whose best dancing is like that, as well, because where I come from there are virtually no professional belly dancers and the shows we put together are mostly for the lower-level dancers to show off what they've accomplished to their families, and feel good about themselves.

As Mirah says, broad comedy is actually really difficult to pull off - the imitation you do of Dancer X for ten seconds, that makes your friends laugh, generally won't hold up on stage. Plus it's mean.

The funniest deliberate comedy belly dance routine I have seen was a tape of Dr Mo Geddawi's troupe. The piece started off as a well executed but po faced and deeply boring Pharonic number. (I can't stand Pharonic as a rule.) Then, the music went haywire, a bunch of dancers in flapper outfits came racing on to join the Pharonics, and the lot of them (including Dr Mo looking paunchy as the Pharoah) broke into a really hot Charleston, complete with fake "temple painting" walking. To "I'm Looking Over a Four Leafed Clover."

Post Thanks / Like

Most comedy pieces I have seen have simply not amused me. I have often noticed also that the dancers doing the comedy number often think they are hilariously funny when in fact most of the audience does not.

Being a good comedian is a rare gift. Being a good dancer and a good comedian and being able to combine the two even rarer.

On the other hand, I have seen many dancers who spontaneously do funny things during their perforances.

Sedonia

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234