Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    504
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Instrumental Pieces that had lyrics-emotion

    I know that when a song has lyrics it is important to know what the lyrics are about so as to display the correct emotions...but what about songs that originally had lyrics but are made into just instrumental pieces...can you just go by the music or should you find out about the lyrics that went with it?

  2. #2
    V.I.P. jenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colchester UK
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    IMO we sometimes try WAAY to hard to be authentic. Way more so than would be the case in country of origin. Don't forget the lyrics wre probably in Arabic. The thought of having to get translations of lyrics I don't even have makes me want to lie dow in a darkened room

  3. #3
    V.I.P. Kashmir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sstacy123 View Post
    I know that when a song has lyrics it is important to know what the lyrics are about so as to display the correct emotions...but what about songs that originally had lyrics but are made into just instrumental pieces...can you just go by the music or should you find out about the lyrics that went with it?
    If there is any chance that there'll be Middle Easterners in the audience I'd definitely try to check out the lyrics - a lot of standards are known word perfect - lyrics or not. Usually I would even if there aren't. It is another important dimension to your interpretation. If I only had time to learn the lyrics or learn some gimmacky prop, I'd go with the lyrics every time.

  4. #4
    V.I.P. Reen.Blom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Between Heaven and Earth Upside Down
    Posts
    3,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I remember that Lydia once posted that even instrumental piece can have a certain connotation that we might not be aware of... I also think that if it is safe if there is no ME people in the audience...

  5. #5
    Senior Member sedoniaraqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    cultural wasteland of the midwestern US
    Posts
    583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sstacy123 View Post
    I know that when a song has lyrics it is important to know what the lyrics are about so as to display the correct emotions...but what about songs that originally had lyrics but are made into just instrumental pieces...can you just go by the music or should you find out about the lyrics that went with it?
    Yes, you should find out in general at least what the song is about. A complete transliteration with translation is better. If it is an Oum Kalthoum song, for example, both Arabs and other dancers are going to definitely know it, and be turned off if you obviously don't. Many of her songs are of profound love, unrequited love, heartbreak, etc. Sometimes the instrumental parts sound very joyful and happy when in fact the song is not.

  6. #6
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Music/lyrics

    Dear Stacey,
    A rule of thumb when performing is to never, ever underestimate the intelligence and knowledge of your audience. After all, if you are performing in public, then you are performing for THEM.
    With that in mind, we also need to be aware that many instrumental pieces originally had lyrics, though not all. If you can possibly find out the meaning of the song before you dance, it is really good. I once saw a girl dance to a song that basically talked about a mare being a very good ride. The connotation was very sexual, and the Arabs in the audience about died laughing. I have also seen a dance troupe dance to a song that Jews sing to their Rabbi on a certain feast day, that has something to do with the Rabbi's house being broken into by thieves. Fortunately the Jewish friend that I was with found this to be highly amusing. I was more offended than he was that people who were in my profession were taking their jobs so lightly. I have heard of women dancing to songs about death, even, so it is good to know what you are dancing to, no matter who you think is or is not in the audience. Always present as if your audience knows more than you do about what you are doing and it helps to keep you honest and real with the dance!
    Regards,
    A'isha

  7. #7
    V.I.P. janaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    hong kong
    Posts
    1,217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sedoniaraqs View Post
    Sometimes the instrumental parts sound very joyful and happy when in fact the song is not.
    This is a very interesting point. Many oum kholsoum's songs have very uppy techno versions. Personally, I don't choose those versions to dance.
    My questions is how do you dance to a happy instrumental version of Lessa Fakir for example??? It bugs me cos the music says something and lyrics behind it says something else. L

  8. #8
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by janaki View Post
    This is a very interesting point. Many oum kholsoum's songs have very uppy techno versions. Personally, I don't choose those versions to dance.
    My questions is how do you dance to a happy instrumental version of Lessa Fakir for example??? It bugs me cos the music says something and lyrics behind it says something else. L


    Dear Janaki,
    I know what you mean!! There is a techno version of Zourouni out that just drives me crazy. It is not so much that the lyrics do not go with a techno theme, but the whole essence of the song is so much softer and..... I don't know.... more wistful and whimsical than the techno version feels. It just seems like it totally misses the point.
    Regards,
    A'isha

  9. #9
    Super Moderator gisela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    4,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Always present as if your audience knows more than you do about what you are doing and it helps to keep you honest and real with the dance!
    Hi A'isha,
    I have heard you say this before and I really like this take on it. It goes completely against what you usually hear from teachers,the "they don't know what it should look like anyway" or " they can't do it better" comment, usually said to calm nervous performers. I will remember and try to practice your version of it. I agree it reminds you of the honesty, humbleness and ambitiousness it takes to be a good dancer. Thank's for good advice.
    gisela
    immer glimmer

  10. #10
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Dance, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    Hi A'isha,
    I have heard you say this before and I really like this take on it. It goes completely against what you usually hear from teachers,the "they don't know what it should look like anyway" or " they can't do it better" comment, usually said to calm nervous performers. I will remember and try to practice your version of it. I agree it reminds you of the honesty, humbleness and ambitiousness it takes to be a good dancer. Thank's for good advice.
    gisela


    Dear Gisela,
    Thanks for understanding and appreciating the meaning behind the message! I think it is those very teachers you are talking about who very little respect for what they are supposed to be doing, and clearly none at all for the people they are supposed to be dancing for. It's all about THEIR needs and nothing more. I think this goes hand in hand with being very clear with our students and our audiences about what exactly we are teaching and presenting.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •