Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

It is said on their web pages that workshops cannot be booked in advance. So, I have a question for those of you who visited the previous event in 2007: Was it difficult to enrol to those workshops you preferred? In other words, were you forced to queue for a long time before the workshop chosen started?

I also have a silly question referring to event in 2009: Are all the evening shows included to the weekend pass price or do you have to pay any extras for them?

Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem for me was that there was no control on the numbers. So, some workshops were absolutely heaving. The one I did with Randa was crazy; at one point she asked why we weren't using our arms, we simply couldn't lift them without hitting the person next to us! Not extend the, just lift them from our sides. The room as crazily hot too.

I wish you had been able to queue for ages and then they would have said when they got to capacity and turned people away. I turned up early with that in mind but everyone who wanted to was let in. And it was no good thinking you could go early and get a more spacious spot, there was no such thing.

By the end of the weekend, I'd given up. If it got crowded I'd then just leave as I'd lost patience with it. Maybe they will have learnt and do things differently, but from what I've heard of Fantasia on here (never been though) maybe not.

I'm sticking to JoY on that basis.

And in 2007 the shows were included in the cost. Don't know about 2009.

Post Thanks / Like

Ticket does include shows by the looks of things

The International Bellydance Congress | Ticket information

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the same as Karena about that Randa workshop, more like a sauna. They should have had a maximum capacity and stuck to it (and not put someone like Randa in a small room. Duh!!!). JimBoz was crowded out too...

But the ones in the big rooms were fine - just turn up. I really liked the flexibility of not having a rigid timetable of pre-booked workshops.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a real problem with over loading worshops. I think the problem has a sort of chicken and egg situation attached to it. A teacher quotes a price, she attends and see's the workshop is packed out and calculates the profit made, so next time the fee goes up.

Some teachers command ridiculous fee's. Now unless they have a magic wand to wave over everyone, how can it be worth it?
    I only once stood in a hot room with a famous teacher with one hundred fellow students and decided it would be my first and last.

Paul McCartney comes at a high price because of his fame and occasionaly he teaches at the academy of performing arts in Liverpool.
    The seminars and workshops are for gifted and talented musicians and he attempts to move them forward and pass on his knowledge and experience.
    Now tell me how this applies to a 100 plus in a hot room with mixed ability?
    magic wand?

Post Thanks / Like

The good thing i found with the congress is that you can leave the workshop if you want to and as there was no end of excellent teachers so this was not a problem. I would not of stayed in a packed workshop, I agree with Caroline- you cannot learn much in that environment may as well watch a dvd instead!

Post Thanks / Like

Oooh, I dont like the idea of 'revolving door' teaching.
    You could run in and out of every class for five mins.
    Your 'training' with 100 of the top international teachers will be on your dazzling website.
    Mona Said hit the roof when this happend at Ahlan, she shouted at the top of her voice 'SHUT THAT F$%%$££ DOOR!'
    I thought I was back in Liverpool for one brief moment.

In Ahlan they were in and out of the workshop doors like flies.

I personally think this sort of thing is a joke.

If anyone wants to leave, it should be quietly crawling on their hands and knees and out through a cat flap.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    Oooh, I dont like the idea of 'revolving door' teaching.
    You could run in and out of every class for five mins.
    Your 'training' with 100 of the top international teachers will be on your dazzling website.
    Mona Said hit the roof when this happend at Ahlan, she shouted at the top of her voice 'SHUT THAT F$%%$££ DOOR!'
    I thought I was back in Liverpool for one brief moment.

In Ahlan they were in and out of the workshop doors like flies.

I personally think this sort of thing is a joke.

If anyone wants to leave, it should be quietly crawling on their hands and knees and out through a cat flap.
    I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Mona!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suheir View Post
    I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Mona!
    Nah me either!
    Honestly it wasnt like a revolving door.. i didnt see people choppng and changing workshops and walking out halfway through etc.. or maybe i was too engrossed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taheya View Post
    Nah me either!
    Honestly it wasnt like a revolving door.. i didnt see people choppng and changing workshops and walking out halfway through etc.. or maybe i was too engrossed.
    Or maybe it was just at Ahlan?
    which festival are you talking about, Belly dance congress?
    I imagine it would be different to the chaos I witnessed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast