Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem is I had no choice but to stay at the Randa one, or else no Randa. The only one at my level was on the first day, there were higher level ones on the other days but not for me. I think there were a good few people there who could have gone to the higher level one, but as it was the first day there was Randa-fever! So sure, if you're top level you can pick and choose, but not if you're not. Mind you that's a whole other can of worms...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    Or maybe it was just at Ahlan?
    which festival are you talking about, Belly dance congress?
    I imagine it would be different to the chaos I witnessed.
    Im talking about the congress. Unfortunately havent been to Ahlan yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    The problem is I had no choice but to stay at the Randa one, or else no Randa. The only one at my level was on the first day, there were higher level ones on the other days but not for me.
    Me too!
    All they needed to do was close the doors at a sensible number and turn away the rest, like they said they were going to do, and it would have been great. Instead everyone got a pretty rubbish deal on that one, and they didn't got a penny more money for it - just a load of frustrated and annoyed punters.

It wasn't even as if there was queueing from dawn. I got there only about half an hour early, and was one of the first in. IMO people turning up later should have expected to find it full and the class closed... but instead they just kept coming in.....

Post Thanks / Like

I know the Randa class you're talking about and I was turned away because it was too full. I heard it happened with a couple of other workshops as well.

I also attended two workshops where there was very little room, however towards the end people either sat out or left, leaving a few dancers remaining on the floor.

The other Raqia/Randa workshops were held in much larger spaces, which I could understand because of the floor space used in the choreographies, however they were aimed at higher level dancers there were less people so could have fitted in a smaller room.

As for the revloving door situation, I didn't mind it too much, it does allow people who may be finding a class too hard to sneak out without feeling they've blown their money on a class they couldn't do....possibly the only advantage?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suheir View Post
    International Bellydance Congress | Home

Dates, but no venue. "Just outside London" could be anywhere! I was thinking maybe they'd follow the Salsa Congress to Bournemouth. We shall see.

"Chill out area and menís zone!" - how nice, somewhere for them to arm-wrestle and rip open beer cans with their teeth.
    Now, that kinda sexist. Men's Zone? Why should they have a zone to themselves?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kharis View Post
    Now, that kinda sexist. Men's Zone? Why should they have a zone to themselves?
    Baffling, isn't it?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suheir View Post
    Baffling, isn't it?
    Mmmm. Perhaps they have a fart lounge, or belching nook. A cozy little area to discuss their Pull a Pig antics, or perhaps the beer is just cheaper in that area. The toilets will have no seats and there will be Porkinsons Pasty's on sale for lunch. There will perhaps be copies of the Sunday Sport lying around, or Udders Weekly. And don't forget the 124 inch gamma/HD/Liquid display screen showing Sky Sports and Men and Motors.

I know, I know, we are being totally unfair about men and generalizing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    I know the Randa class you're talking about and I was turned away because it was too full.
    I take it back then, they were counting at the doors. Maybe really slowly?

Ewww... Men's zone fart lounge, nasty. Maybe they have to do drumming and get in touch with their inner Arabian Warrior, or go hug trees in the woods or something... (not the naked bonfire dances though, please...)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I take it back then, they were counting at the doors. Maybe really slowly?
    It's ok & I'm glad I wasn't let in because it looked like everyone was fighting to dance in a 1ft square box.
    Last edited by Eve; 07-16-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: grammar

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345