Enjoying the strengths or mastering the weaknesses?

Samira bint Aya

So, what do you think? Like most, I have areas that I am relatively good at, as well as weaknesses in my dance.

I tend to do relatively well in slow smooth moves, like undulations and figure eights, but I am totally hopeless when it comes to shimmies. Anything involving balance comes out looking sad really, even hip drop-kicks. I can’t execute a proper turn for the life of me. And also my hands, they are all over the place.

The thing is, as a hobbyist, I don’t have to beat myself over working on my weak spots. I can allow myself to enjoy the movements that suit my body. Right? That’s what I try telling myself.

Does any one have the same dilemma? :think:

Maria_Aya

And if you think that you posted this message over here to make me treat you and the other Crete gang easy you are jocking your self lol :dance:
Samiraaaaaa love you babe !!!
Even in a hobbyist level you have to work hard !! and I know how things are, with life, less time etc, but time and drilling over and over is the key to master movements.
There are 2 different kind of hobbyists for me.
The ones that just live the fantasy of being a bellydancer and doing bellydance and the ones that really want to learn this beautifull dance in depth, study it both kinetic and cultural, even if it doesnt become a profession, and just dance at hafla's, show's events.
You belong to the second category with 2 trips in Cairo NileGroup Festival, inventing time, money and effort.
So just relax !! and drill !!!!!!!!!

kissesssssssssssss
:D
Maria Aya;)

jenc

I too concentrated on my good points, but this will ultimately be unsatisfactory because you will never improve. there are good dvds on shimmies get one and drill

Aisha Azar

Dance etc.

Dear Samira,

So, what do you think? Like most, I have areas that I am relatively good at, as well as weaknesses in my dance.

Are you a rather new dancer? This is a situation that occurs with most dancers for at least awhile. We all have easier and harder things in the dance. The hardest thing for new dancers is often to get in emotional touch with the movements and the music!

I tend to do relatively well in slow smooth moves, like undulations and figure eights, but I am totally hopeless when it comes to shimmies. Anything
involving balance comes out looking sad really, even hip drop-kicks. I can’t execute a proper turn for the life of me. And also my hands, they are all over the place.

What usually happens is that you will find that the longer you dance, the more the dance will become an integrated process for you instead of just moves you can or can not do. Your body will eventually learn to do all the things it can not do now as you practice and make the connections from the mind to the body.

The thing is, as a hobbyist, I don’t have to beat myself over working on my weak spots. I can allow myself to enjoy the movements that suit my body. Right? That’s what I try telling myself.

Well, one thing that happens, too, is that your favorite and easier moves become rather boring and simple after awhile as you build the skills to do more complicated things, so you will happily move on at some point. There will be movements that you never, ever really get if you are like the rest of us. I have this one downward lock of the ribcage done by Soheir Zaki that I can never really do well after 34 years, so we ALL have those nemesis moves! But lucky for us, there are many variations out there and something will be just right for you!

Does any one have the same dilemma? :think:
[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think everyone who is being honest has had the same dilemma!
Regards,
A'isha

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Samira,your Mother must be very proud of you!!!(hint..she's a beautiful Lady:D)
Anyway, we all have our weak moments within the dance,recognizing such helps us grow. Keep practicing!
Yasmine

Maria_Aya

Hi Samira,your Mother must be very proud of you!!!(hint..she's a beautiful Lady:D)
Anyway, we all have our weak moments within the dance,recognizing such helps us grow. Keep practicing!
Yasmine

I guess you think that I'm her mother but not. But I met Samira when she was 5 years old and HER mother was my teacher in art!! how life goes !!!
And her mother is the godmother of my daughter, and now Samira is one of my beloved students in Crete.
And yes HER mother was my role model for my life.
A true artist, free spirit, that really had a big influense in my life :)
Math teacher, Ancient Greek and literature, painter and artist.

Samira bint Aya

Thanks Maria, these sweet words lifted my spirits in what is particularly bad bay…

By the way, my mom wants to start belly dance lessons too! She has been bitten by the bug, it’s contagious! ;)

She is a very special lady. I adore her!

Samira bint Aya

I too concentrated on my good points, but this will ultimately be unsatisfactory because you will never improve. there are good dvds on shimmies get one and drill

I actually bought one last weak, from a forum member. 21 Shimmies by Jouvana. It was a good buy.

I don’t mind drilling. I try to make it more fun by doing small things that make me feel pleasant. For example, every time I want to practice, I put on the Lotus perfume I bought from Egypt! It is my dancing perfume!

Samira bint Aya

This is a situation that occurs with most dancers for at least awhile.

Aisha, thanks for the advice.

Yes I am a new dancer, you guessed it! It helps to know that this is a phase which I am going through.

Emotional expression is way out of my league. However, I find that whenever I particularly connect emotionally to a song, I tend to use my head a lot (tilting, swaying). But I suspect that with a real dancer, feelings should be expressed more with things such as changes in the speed of movement, hand gestures, using the solar plexus, and such…

Aisha Azar

Dance

Dear Samira,
Good dancers dance with their whole bodies, including their heads, so you are taking another step in the right direction!
Best wishes,
A'isha