Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Instructional DVD's

Ok so it seems I might not find a class till the fall, I need to keep on with this , so a DVD is my answer for now. So, there are hundreds out there, but are there any that others here have found particularly useful for just learning the basics in the clearest way ?

I have searched the likely places in my City, but nothing BD is available, not even in any of the crossover health/fitness videos, so it looks like I need to seek on line.

Are there any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say Jenna's basics and beyond- she's got 3 wonderful DVDs of increasing level. If you have to get only one get Basics n beyond.

I bought mine from Jenna's site:
    ::: BeyondBellydance ::: Jenna ::: Venture beyond your expectations with bellydancer Jenna's solo performances and group belly dance classes; based in Manhattan, Jenna is available for Middle Eastern dance workshops and private lessons as well.
    I also recomment Salome's store.

We got Instructional DVD thread here with lots of reviews:
    http://www.bellydanceforums.net/inst...-you-have.html

For drills I love Ariellah's yoga and belly dance DVD- it is tribal fusion one, the drills really help to work on basic moves!!

good luck.

*hugs*

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a list I have composed for my beginners. I am working on updating it. I am not nuts about Neena and Veena, too exercise oriented. But some of my beginners have told me they like their DVD's and have found some useful aspects so I included them. This list represents ones I have personally used and some that have been recommeded to me for early level dancers.

Dahlena's Technique” Two Disc DVD
    Belly Dancing by Dahlena

Cassandra: Introduction to Bellydancing, The American Dancer Middle Eastern Dance Series
    Turquoise International

Hadia's Raks Sharki Volume 1, 2, 3 and 4.
    HADIA'S DVD'S, Instructional & Training for Belly Dancers

Jilllina's level 1
    Instructional Bellydance With Jillina - Level One DVD Movie

Amazon.com: Instructional Bellydance With Jillina - Level 1: Jillina: Movies & TV

Instructional Bellydance With Jillina - Level One (DVD) from Overstock.com

The Art of Belly Dance for Beginners with Paulina
    Paulina

Bellydance One-on-One: Complete Combinations & Choreography with Virginia
    https://www.hollywoodmusiccenter.com...nguage=english

Bellydance One-on-One: Essential Technique with Virginia
    https://www.pekorecords.com/productD...guage=english&

Bellydance Basics and Beyond. Technique for a solid foundation with Jenna
    Amazon.com: Bellydance Basics and Beyond: Technique for a Solid Foundation: Jenna: Movies & TV

Michelle Morrison's video Joyous Laughter, Volume 1: Belly Dance Basics with Michell
    Farfesha Belly Dance, belly dancing

Bellydance Lesson #2 Standing Moves by Cory Zamora
    Bellydancing Videos

Bellydance Fitness for Beginners: Basic Moves by Veena and Neena (For some basic exercise drilling,)
    found at local stores and Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

Check out some of Michelle's beginner DVD's
    Cheeky Girls Productions - Instructional and Performance Belly Dance DVDs

Amarise

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I went for the Jena basics and beyond video, thanks to all who replied.

So far, it looks ok to me, but something I have discovered about upper body movements. Perhaps I am just lazy at the moment, but I have found sitting down and trying the exercises definitely stop the hips moving when it seems they want to. I understand being lazy is not going to lead to good technique, but it does help to train the torso that these movements are not only possible, but will become more of an ongoing thing.

Sitting down is safest at the moment, as my floor looks like a scrap yard, must tidy up I think.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like

For belly dance music and dvd's I tend to use Belly dance costume & belly dance supplies at Aladdin's Cave as its uk based so less devlievery charges and worries about dvd regions. They have a great range including carbaret, tribal, tribal fusion and IAMED dvds.

Sita
    Last edited by Sita; 07-15-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fundamenatals

Quote Originally Posted by khanjar View Post
    Ok so it seems I might not find a class till the fall, I need to keep on with this , so a DVD is my answer for now. So, there are hundreds out there, but are there any that others here have found particularly useful for just learning the basics in the clearest way ?

I have searched the likely places in my City, but nothing BD is available, not even in any of the crossover health/fitness videos, so it looks like I need to seek on line.

Are there any recommendations?

Dear Khanjar,
    If you are looking for a comprehensive fundamentals DVD, I have one out. It covers the mechanics of 10 basic movements, demonstrates where those fundamentals will take you with variations and layers, and has a short routine at the beginning of the video so that the student has a picture of where they are trying to go with all this basic movement stuff.
    The music used on the DVD is available through Leyla Lanty.
    For more info, go to my website and to the video section
    Raqs Azar
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

I have several belly dance dvds: Rania, Veena and Neena, and Jenna. Also there is a show called 'shimmy' that comes on the fitness channel. I don't like it so much just because it seems to be for more advanced, and I sometimes have trouble keeping up with it, but that's just my opinion. I'm fairly new to it, so it takes a lot for me to learn certain moves (like the camel.)

Post Thanks / Like

I love Shimmy TV! But it's not for beginners!

gotta love those sets. I want to zill in the snow!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

So would it be worth buying Season 1 on dvd??

Post Thanks / Like

It's expensive, but I know someone who bought the set and she loves them.

I DVR'd a couple of episodes, but the hubby erased them

I would say the "style" of dance on the show is more old-style Am Cab, with a few modern leanings. The producers are Canadian, but the vocabulary used reminds me of Veda Sereem's instruction (or Delilah's vocabulary). Kind of reminds me of Maria Morca's instruction, and it's entirely possible that one of their instructors was a student of Maria's. ??

If that's the style you like, and you don't mind a shorter session (the dance part of the show is closer to 20 minutes long) I think these are a fun addition. I don't own them, but I've seen the whole first season. Like I said, the costuming and scenery/set design are FABulous.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast