Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DVDs for Intermediate Level BD

How about dvd's for intermediate level belly dancers in Australia or New Zealand? Any recommendations?

I have 3 here by Neena and Veena Bidasha which I use when I cannot attend BD lessons but they're getting to be boring for me already

Post Thanks / Like

don't know what's available in Aus but I often order from Amazon US to ship to Uk as it is cheaper to do that. Search for any listed above - if you come across anything special in Aus let us know.
    I don't recomend Neena and Veena. I don't like their posture and there isn't much to any of their dvds. What they call intermediate is not as challengin as some other beginner dvds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    don't know what's available in Aus but I often order from Amazon US to ship to Uk as it is cheaper to do that. Search for any listed above - if you come across anything special in Aus let us know.
    I don't recomend Neena and Veena. I don't like their posture and there isn't much to any of their dvds. What they call intermediate is not as challengin as some other beginner dvds

Yes, I think Neena and Veena's are too slow too I don't really sweat and to think I live in hot and humid country. I sure hope the "Heartbeat of Belly Dance" is available in Aus and NZ. I have heard rave reviews about it. I also hope Aus and NZ belly dancers have their own intermediate BD dvd's. Might also check out those in the US, maybe it won't be that expensive. I know in the UK, it's really expensive.

Thank you, JenC!

Post Thanks / Like

heartbeat is really good if you like drum solos. I certanly found even the beginner routine above me. Although this is certainly because what I was taught in 20 weeks of beginners class was not sufficient! I am theefore largely self-taught and as such I find accents difficult. (I also suspect that I have not been working as hard as I should on the bits I am not good at!)
    Drills, drills, drills is also good because not only are the moves broken down, but the focus is not on learning a routine but on increasing your ability to use weight change, do more than one thing at once etc.
    Pop, lock and shimmy is also good as it teaches a drum solo, but with more emphasis on practising the combinations than in some other dvds. Ie you get practice repeats on dvd, sometimes slow then fast, so the need to pause dvd is less. Also you ccan chose just to practice one or two combinations much more easily.
    These 2 are Michelle Joyce

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    I have several belly dance dvds: Rania, Veena and Neena, and Jenna. Also there is a show called 'shimmy' that comes on the fitness channel. I don't like it so much just because it seems to be for more advanced, and I sometimes have trouble keeping up with it, but that's just my opinion. I'm fairly new to it, so it takes a lot for me to learn certain moves (like the camel.)
    i love Shimmy tv too
    but i also think it's meant so that you can push yourself a little more, and even says when something will take a bit more time to work on, so no they don't expect it to always be 'nice n easy' for you. i love that show espcially (the one w/long wavy red hair) - she just seems the most in touch w/the essence of the dance, no matter how basic it may be. the costumes are so pretty, and even their workout clothes. would LOVE to find some pants like theirs for my practice sessions!

Post Thanks / Like

For DVD's to use in Australia or New Zealand, check out Jrisi. She has a lovely DVD that is well made and I really like it a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    It's expensive, but I know someone who bought the set and she loves them.

I DVR'd a couple of episodes, but the hubby erased them
    Is that the guilty party in your avatar with you? Bad hubby, bad!

Surely it was an accident.

Post Thanks / Like

Khanjar. Have you discovered Galit Mersand's. Although her style is not necessarily as I see myself, it's good solid tuition and although it could have been better produced(road noise in filming) , good value and has a CD with it. If you want to get a UK DVD go for it.
    Galit Mersand - DVD

My students seen to the like IAMED beginners' DVDs and the quality is very good.
    Last edited by lizaj; 08-30-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Have just bought Luscious for oly $12 on ebay. It is billed as a 100% bellydance moves workout, so I bought it just to get me moving again. Turns out that there is a Tutorial Section of 50 mins, and that the workout is done by combinations. I really liked for beginner practise. I wouldn't recommend it as your first dvd (Jenna Basics and Beyond) but for brginner level practice it is very good, and the undulation sectin is better than Jenna (I remember that someone asked me about that before) It is certainly worth the price if it is still going for that amount. Oh and it is by Neon, Bianca and Sarah Skinner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Have just bought Luscious for oly $12 on ebay. It is billed as a 100% bellydance moves workout, so I bought it just to get me moving again. Turns out that there is a Tutorial Section of 50 mins, and that the workout is done by combinations. I really liked for beginner practise. I wouldn't recommend it as your first dvd (Jenna Basics and Beyond) but for brginner level practice it is very good, and the undulation sectin is better than Jenna (I remember that someone asked me about that before) It is certainly worth the price if it is still going for that amount. Oh and it is by Neon, Bianca and Sarah Skinner
    wow, thanks for this review...i was going to get Luscious, but got the Pop Lock and Shimmy instead. but i'm so beginner level that i think *any* dvd at this point is going to be challenging for me lol

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast