Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    On this forum, that goes without saying. Have chocolate, will travel.
    LOL You can say that again! heheheh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Ladies please, if you are interested in classical Egyptian oriental dance. Please use this DVD FATEN SALAMA -- Native Egyptian Master Instructor of Danse Oriental 2009 Her basic moves DVDs is good even if you are advanced.

Do yourself a favor. I looked at the previous lists and I wanted to

I wasted so much money on bad dvds and teachers. I am truly blessed to learn from Faten Salama and I highly recommend her dvds. If you ever get the chance to do her workshops or class do it! She is the real thing!!!

For obvious reasons (cultural family taboo stuff) she did not perform oriental. She was a soloist folkloric dancer. But, in private she knew how to dance oriental like no one's business. Back in the day and still today she is well known in the Egyptian dance world and she is well respected by legends such as Fifi Abdo etc.
    which dvd would you or anyone else recommend from taten salama. her cane dance dvd looked inspiring.

I would deeply appreciate the help,.

thanx.

Post Thanks / Like

Please bear in mind that even if someone recommends you a dvd - they might be coming from a different perspective from you. Have a look at clips - search Youtube for the dancer. Search Amazon.com and read the reviews - looking carefully at whether it is recommended for fitness or dancing. A number of reviews are from people dancing at home who have had no training. If you buy something you don't like - you can always sell it on ebay. If you don't like something - work out why you didnt - and what made you buy it - so you can learn for buying the next one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Sadie is one of my favorite dvd instructors. Her Drum Solo dvds are very educational, with drills and technique instruction in addition to a choreography. I don't really dance in her style

If you can afford it, I would recommend both drill dvds - Sadie's and Michelle's because the content is different. Michelle pretty much sticks to Suhaila style layering, and Sadie branches out a bit to different kinds of layering.
    Hi

I too am a huge fan of Sadie's for all the same reason, and glad to see some other Sadie fans here Yes--Sadie is highly technical, but "layering" is just adding combined moves whether you learn from Sadie, or Michelle, or Neon or anyone else--the technique is one thing. Style is a separate element of dancing. It is the *expression* part of your dance, thru which many evolutions of it occur as you yourself continue to explore and discover your own personal interests of what you like or dont like or other preferences.

Personally I do enjoy both Michelle's softer style as much as I like Sadie's technical style. Even Neon's curvy fluid style.
    Last edited by missanime; 11-28-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missanime View Post
    Style is a separate element of dancing. It is the *expression* part of your dance, thru which many evolutions of it occur as you yourself continue to explore and discover your own personal interests of what you like or dont like or other preferences.
    I know I'm just nitpicking, but I disagree with the idea that technique and style are two separate elements of dance. Certainly, there is an aspect of style that involves expression, body language, projection, musical choice, etc, however, technique is the very root of style. Because movements look different depending on the technique used, and the way movements look is an important aspect of style.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    I know I'm just nitpicking, but I disagree with the idea that technique and style are two separate elements of dance. Certainly, there is an aspect of style that involves expression, body language, projection, musical choice, etc, however, technique is the very root of style. Because movements look different depending on the technique used, and the way movements look is an important aspect of style.
    Lol well of course--there are many techniques and many styles! Technique is simply mechanical know-how, while style is expression or interpretation of music & dance. Put them all together and VOILA!You've a dance piece thats well-rehearsed, well-articulated and finally well-executioned equalling to a Well Done performance!

Tho you might want to be careful with nitpicking....."while one man so preoccupied in explaining the process of Spring to another man, Spring had sprung".
    Last edited by missanime; 11-28-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

okay, thanx. I totally agree with this. I've already had some training in belly dance by at least 4 teachers and 3 or 4 other teachers at workshops. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have confidence to do belly dance on my own at home with videos. and I check from time to time - in the mirror of course. lol.

but thanx.

right now I'm brushing up and mastering the basics, lol.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678