Instructional DVD's

khanjar

Ok so it seems I might not find a class till the fall, I need to keep on with this , so a DVD is my answer for now. So, there are hundreds out there, but are there any that others here have found particularly useful for just learning the basics in the clearest way ?

I have searched the likely places in my City, but nothing BD is available, not even in any of the crossover health/fitness videos, so it looks like I need to seek on line.

Are there any recommendations?

Reen.Blom

I would say Jenna's basics and beyond- she's got 3 wonderful DVDs of increasing level. If you have to get only one get Basics n beyond.

I bought mine from Jenna's site:
::: BeyondBellydance ::: Jenna ::: Venture beyond your expectations with bellydancer Jenna's solo performances and group belly dance classes; based in Manhattan, Jenna is available for Middle Eastern dance workshops and private lessons as well.
I also recomment Salome's store.

We got Instructional DVD thread here with lots of reviews:
http://www.bellydanceforums.net/ins...-what-instructional-dvds-videos-you-have.html

For drills I love Ariellah's yoga and belly dance DVD- it is tribal fusion one, the drills really help to work on basic moves!!

good luck.

*hugs*

Amarise

Here is a list I have composed for my beginners. I am working on updating it. I am not nuts about Neena and Veena, too exercise oriented. But some of my beginners have told me they like their DVD's and have found some useful aspects so I included them. This list represents ones I have personally used and some that have been recommeded to me for early level dancers.

Dahlena's Technique” Two Disc DVD
Belly Dancing by Dahlena

Cassandra: Introduction to Bellydancing, The American Dancer Middle Eastern Dance Series
Turquoise International

Hadia's Raks Sharki Volume 1, 2, 3 and 4.
HADIA'S DVD'S, Instructional & Training for Belly Dancers

Jilllina's level 1
Instructional Bellydance With Jillina - Level One DVD Movie

Amazon.com: Instructional Bellydance With Jillina - Level 1: Jillina: Movies & TV

Instructional Bellydance With Jillina - Level One (DVD) from Overstock.com

The Art of Belly Dance for Beginners with Paulina
Paulina

Bellydance One-on-One: Complete Combinations & Choreography with Virginia
https://www.hollywoodmusiccenter.co...1041&userId=2wS5lL7sZ8dH8cD7&language=english

Bellydance One-on-One: Essential Technique with Virginia
https://www.pekorecords.com/product...3jA7jL0dY4sM&productId=1040&language=english&

Bellydance Basics and Beyond. Technique for a solid foundation with Jenna
Amazon.com: Bellydance Basics and Beyond: Technique for a Solid Foundation: Jenna: Movies & TV

Michelle Morrison's video Joyous Laughter, Volume 1: Belly Dance Basics with Michell
Farfesha Belly Dance, belly dancing

Bellydance Lesson #2 Standing Moves by Cory Zamora
Bellydancing Videos

Bellydance Fitness for Beginners: Basic Moves by Veena and Neena (For some basic exercise drilling,)
found at local stores and Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

Check out some of Michelle's beginner DVD's
Cheeky Girls Productions - Instructional and Performance Belly Dance DVDs

Amarise

khanjar

Ok, I went for the Jena basics and beyond video, thanks to all who replied.

So far, it looks ok to me, but something I have discovered about upper body movements. Perhaps I am just lazy at the moment, but I have found sitting down and trying the exercises definitely stop the hips moving when it seems they want to. I understand being lazy is not going to lead to good technique, but it does help to train the torso that these movements are not only possible, but will become more of an ongoing thing.

Sitting down is safest at the moment, as my floor looks like a scrap yard, must tidy up I think.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.

Aisha Azar

Fundamenatals

Ok so it seems I might not find a class till the fall, I need to keep on with this , so a DVD is my answer for now. So, there are hundreds out there, but are there any that others here have found particularly useful for just learning the basics in the clearest way ?

I have searched the likely places in my City, but nothing BD is available, not even in any of the crossover health/fitness videos, so it looks like I need to seek on line.

Are there any recommendations?

Dear Khanjar,
If you are looking for a comprehensive fundamentals DVD, I have one out. It covers the mechanics of 10 basic movements, demonstrates where those fundamentals will take you with variations and layers, and has a short routine at the beginning of the video so that the student has a picture of where they are trying to go with all this basic movement stuff.
The music used on the DVD is available through Leyla Lanty.
For more info, go to my website and to the video section
Raqs Azar
Regards,
A'isha

Siren

I have several belly dance dvds: Rania, Veena and Neena, and Jenna. Also there is a show called 'shimmy' that comes on the fitness channel. I don't like it so much just because it seems to be for more advanced, and I sometimes have trouble keeping up with it, but that's just my opinion. I'm fairly new to it, so it takes a lot for me to learn certain moves (like the camel.)

Amanda (was Aziyade)

It's expensive, but I know someone who bought the set and she loves them.

I DVR'd a couple of episodes, but the hubby erased them :(

I would say the "style" of dance on the show is more old-style Am Cab, with a few modern leanings. The producers are Canadian, but the vocabulary used reminds me of Veda Sereem's instruction (or Delilah's vocabulary). Kind of reminds me of Maria Morca's instruction, and it's entirely possible that one of their instructors was a student of Maria's. ??

If that's the style you like, and you don't mind a shorter session (the dance part of the show is closer to 20 minutes long) I think these are a fun addition. I don't own them, but I've seen the whole first season. Like I said, the costuming and scenery/set design are FABulous.

AngelaJP

DVDs for Intermediate Level BD

How about dvd's for intermediate level belly dancers in Australia or New Zealand? Any recommendations?

I have 3 here by Neena and Veena Bidasha which I use when I cannot attend BD lessons but they're getting to be boring for me already :(

jenc

don't know what's available in Aus but I often order from Amazon US to ship to Uk as it is cheaper to do that. Search for any listed above - if you come across anything special in Aus let us know.
I don't recomend Neena and Veena. I don't like their posture and there isn't much to any of their dvds. What they call intermediate is not as challengin as some other beginner dvds

AngelaJP

don't know what's available in Aus but I often order from Amazon US to ship to Uk as it is cheaper to do that. Search for any listed above - if you come across anything special in Aus let us know.
I don't recomend Neena and Veena. I don't like their posture and there isn't much to any of their dvds. What they call intermediate is not as challengin as some other beginner dvds

Yes, I think Neena and Veena's are too slow too I don't really sweat and to think I live in hot and humid country. I sure hope the "Heartbeat of Belly Dance" is available in Aus and NZ. I have heard rave reviews about it. I also hope Aus and NZ belly dancers have their own intermediate BD dvd's. Might also check out those in the US, maybe it won't be that expensive. I know in the UK, it's really expensive.

Thank you, JenC! :cool:

jenc

heartbeat is really good if you like drum solos. I certanly found even the beginner routine above me. Although this is certainly because what I was taught in 20 weeks of beginners class was not sufficient! I am theefore largely self-taught and as such I find accents difficult. (I also suspect that I have not been working as hard as I should on the bits I am not good at!)
Drills, drills, drills is also good because not only are the moves broken down, but the focus is not on learning a routine but on increasing your ability to use weight change, do more than one thing at once etc.
Pop, lock and shimmy is also good as it teaches a drum solo, but with more emphasis on practising the combinations than in some other dvds. Ie you get practice repeats on dvd, sometimes slow then fast, so the need to pause dvd is less. Also you ccan chose just to practice one or two combinations much more easily.
These 2 are Michelle Joyce

missanime

I have several belly dance dvds: Rania, Veena and Neena, and Jenna. Also there is a show called 'shimmy' that comes on the fitness channel. I don't like it so much just because it seems to be for more advanced, and I sometimes have trouble keeping up with it, but that's just my opinion. I'm fairly new to it, so it takes a lot for me to learn certain moves (like the camel.)

i love Shimmy tv too :D
but i also think it's meant so that you can push yourself a little more, and even says when something will take a bit more time to work on, so no they don't expect it to always be 'nice n easy' for you. i love that show espcially (the one w/long wavy red hair) - she just seems the most in touch w/the essence of the dance, no matter how basic it may be. the costumes are so pretty, and even their workout clothes. would LOVE to find some pants like theirs for my practice sessions!

:)

teela

For DVD's to use in Australia or New Zealand, check out Jrisi. She has a lovely DVD that is well made and I really like it a lot

lizaj

Khanjar. Have you discovered Galit Mersand's. Although her style is not necessarily as I see myself, it's good solid tuition and although it could have been better produced(road noise in filming) , good value and has a CD with it. If you want to get a UK DVD go for it.
Galit Mersand - DVD

My students seen to the like IAMED beginners' DVDs and the quality is very good.

Last edited:

jenc

Have just bought Luscious for oly $12 on ebay. It is billed as a 100% bellydance moves workout, so I bought it just to get me moving again. Turns out that there is a Tutorial Section of 50 mins, and that the workout is done by combinations. I really liked for beginner practise. I wouldn't recommend it as your first dvd (Jenna Basics and Beyond) but for brginner level practice it is very good, and the undulation sectin is better than Jenna (I remember that someone asked me about that before) It is certainly worth the price if it is still going for that amount. Oh and it is by Neon, Bianca and Sarah Skinner

missanime

Have just bought Luscious for oly $12 on ebay. It is billed as a 100% bellydance moves workout, so I bought it just to get me moving again. Turns out that there is a Tutorial Section of 50 mins, and that the workout is done by combinations. I really liked for beginner practise. I wouldn't recommend it as your first dvd (Jenna Basics and Beyond) but for brginner level practice it is very good, and the undulation sectin is better than Jenna (I remember that someone asked me about that before) It is certainly worth the price if it is still going for that amount. Oh and it is by Neon, Bianca and Sarah Skinner

wow, thanks for this review...i was going to get Luscious, but got the Pop Lock and Shimmy instead. but i'm so beginner level that i think *any* dvd at this point is going to be challenging for me lol :)