Instructional DVD's

Jujube

Not Pop Lock and Shimmy, but her Drill dvd might -- it's not exactly an equivalent to Sadie's drill dvd though. Based on what you said about your level, I'm not sure you'd get as much value out of Pop Lock and Shimmy as you would Michelle's Drill dvd.

If you can afford it, I would recommend both drill dvds - Sadie's and Michelle's because the content is different. Michelle pretty much sticks to Suhaila style layering, and Sadie branches out a bit to different kinds of layering.

Great info, thanks a lot, Aziyade. I do have Michelle's Drills Drill Drills--just got it, haven't tried it out yet. Drilling and combinations are really what I need to work right now. So the info is great. I will leave off Pop Lock and Shimmy, but will keep Thrillin Drillin and Sultry Slow Moves on my list. I'm still on the fence about Pops, Locks and Shimmies with Sadie and Kaya--I saw the trailer and didn't care for it.

Thanks again!

Antigone

How are the Sadie DVDs? I've seen her Complete Bellydance Guide, which is one of the better beginner-level DVDs I've seen, but I'm looking for beyond beginner.

I have Pops Locks and Shimmies with Kaya and Sadie, Sultry Slow Moves, and Thrillin' Drillin' all on my Amazon wishlist. I find Sadie an inspirational dancer but the $40 pricetag per video makes me anxious. I am picky about DVDs and would hate to shell out that much for a DVD that I don't care for.

For those who have seen these, do they offer unique content and sufficient length to justify the cost? Is Michelle Joyce's Pop Lock and Shimmy going to give me the same content for far less money?

Any opinions or reviews highly appreciated!!

If you like Sadie's Complete Guide you will also like her Ultimate Bellydance dvd which is for intermediate level. She does a lot of upper and lower body drilling and then teaches some combinations to a choreography. I like this dvd and find it much more doable than her Thrillin Drillin dvd. It is also much cheaper than Thrillin Drillin.

I won't get into the affordable versus expensive dvds debate but I have to say that one of my favorite dvds is by Dr Mo Gedawi. His dvd workshops are between $50 - $60 but I think this man is a genius and his dvds have some invaluable material which I have not found anywhere else. And I have a huge collection of over 250 bellydance dvds. :D

hede

OMG - wow - I'll look out for Dr Mo on that recommendation, is there a topic/speciality in particular he covers? - how many hours of back to back bellydance do you reckon you could get out of that many dvd's? :D

Antigone

Wow, Antigone. Can we all come over to your house for a movie night? We'll bring popcorn.

Yes everyone is invited but you will have to bring some chocolates too ! :D

OMG - wow - I'll look out for Dr Mo on that recommendation, is there a topic/speciality in particular he covers? - how many hours of back to back bellydance do you reckon you could get out of that many dvd's? :D

Dr Mo Gedawwi is an oriental and folkloric dancer and choreographer and his technique covers footwork, breathing exercises, basic and complex steps, shimmies. I am just a begginer and a friend of mine raved on about him and lend me his dvd. I see he has a lot of dvd workshops with Little Egypt covering many topics like classical oriental choreographies, baladi, andalusian. Even though they are very pricey I definitelly plan to get some of these workshops ! But what can I say I am a bellydance addict ! ! I am a beginner in bellydance and I love egyptian raks sharqui and midle eastern music. I just wish more egyptian dancers like Randa, Dina and Leila would make instructional dvds, I would get them on the spot ! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Jujube

Dr Mo Gedawwi is an oriental and folkloric dancer and choreographer and his technique covers footwork, breathing exercises, basic and complex steps, shimmies. I am just a begginer and a friend of mine raved on about him and lend me his dvd. I see he has a lot of dvd workshops with Little Egypt covering many topics like classical oriental choreographies, baladi, andalusian. Even though they are very pricey I definitelly plan to get some of these workshops ! But what can I say I am a bellydance addict ! ! I am a beginner in bellydance and I love egyptian raks sharqui and midle eastern music. I just wish more egyptian dancers like Randa, Dina and Leila would make instructional dvds, I would get them on the spot ! :D

Can anyone point me in the direction of his workshop DVDs? I am curious. I can't seem to find anything but performance DVDs.

Ahava_Melantha

Ladies please, if you are interested in classical Egyptian oriental dance. Please use this DVD FATEN SALAMA -- Native Egyptian Master Instructor of Danse Oriental 2009 Her basic moves DVDs is good even if you are advanced.

Do yourself a favor. I looked at the previous lists and I wanted to :wall:

I wasted so much money on bad dvds and teachers. I am truly blessed to learn from Faten Salama and I highly recommend her dvds. If you ever get the chance to do her workshops or class do it! She is the real thing!!!

For obvious reasons (cultural family taboo stuff) she did not perform oriental. She was a soloist folkloric dancer. But, in private she knew how to dance oriental like no one's business. Back in the day and still today she is well known in the Egyptian dance world and she is well respected by legends such as Fifi Abdo etc.

which dvd would you or anyone else recommend from taten salama. her cane dance dvd looked inspiring.

I would deeply appreciate the help,.

thanx.

jenc

Please bear in mind that even if someone recommends you a dvd - they might be coming from a different perspective from you. Have a look at clips - search Youtube for the dancer. Search Amazon.com and read the reviews - looking carefully at whether it is recommended for fitness or dancing. A number of reviews are from people dancing at home who have had no training. If you buy something you don't like - you can always sell it on ebay. If you don't like something - work out why you didnt - and what made you buy it - so you can learn for buying the next one

missanime

Sadie is one of my favorite dvd instructors. Her Drum Solo dvds are very educational, with drills and technique instruction in addition to a choreography. I don't really dance in her style

If you can afford it, I would recommend both drill dvds - Sadie's and Michelle's because the content is different. Michelle pretty much sticks to Suhaila style layering, and Sadie branches out a bit to different kinds of layering.

Hi :)

I too am a huge fan of Sadie's for all the same reason, and glad to see some other Sadie fans here :) Yes--Sadie is highly technical, but "layering" is just adding combined moves whether you learn from Sadie, or Michelle, or Neon or anyone else--the technique is one thing. Style is a separate element of dancing. It is the *expression* part of your dance, thru which many evolutions of it occur as you yourself continue to explore and discover your own personal interests of what you like or dont like or other preferences.

Personally I do enjoy both Michelle's softer style as much as I like Sadie's technical style. Even Neon's curvy fluid style.

Last edited:

Yame

Style is a separate element of dancing. It is the *expression* part of your dance, thru which many evolutions of it occur as you yourself continue to explore and discover your own personal interests of what you like or dont like or other preferences.

I know I'm just nitpicking, but I disagree with the idea that technique and style are two separate elements of dance. Certainly, there is an aspect of style that involves expression, body language, projection, musical choice, etc, however, technique is the very root of style. Because movements look different depending on the technique used, and the way movements look is an important aspect of style.

missanime

I know I'm just nitpicking, but I disagree with the idea that technique and style are two separate elements of dance. Certainly, there is an aspect of style that involves expression, body language, projection, musical choice, etc, however, technique is the very root of style. Because movements look different depending on the technique used, and the way movements look is an important aspect of style.

Lol well of course--there are many techniques and many styles! Technique is simply mechanical know-how, while style is expression or interpretation of music & dance. Put them all together and VOILA!You've a dance piece thats well-rehearsed, well-articulated and finally well-executioned equalling to a Well Done performance! ;)

Tho you might want to be careful with nitpicking....."while one man so preoccupied in explaining the process of Spring to another man, Spring had sprung".

Last edited:

Ahava_Melantha

okay, thanx. I totally agree with this. I've already had some training in belly dance by at least 4 teachers and 3 or 4 other teachers at workshops. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have confidence to do belly dance on my own at home with videos. and I check from time to time - in the mirror of course. lol.

but thanx.

right now I'm brushing up and mastering the basics, lol.