Instructional DVD's

jenc

Me too. Luscious is far easier than Pop, Lock and Shimmy. Drills, drills, drills is easier than Pop but still too hard for me to work on for more han a little time. Still that means I am not about to grow out of them any time soon, so I have got my money's worth lol!!

missanime

Me too. Luscious is far easier than Pop, Lock and Shimmy. Drills, drills, drills is easier than Pop but still too hard for me to work on for more han a little time. Still that means I am not about to grow out of them any time soon, so I have got my money's worth lol!!

yayyyy - i just bought Luscious and jenna's Perfect Hips Belly Dance Workout :D thanks so much for your reviews!

:)
oh i mean michelle's Perfect Hips Belly Dance Workout lol.

missanime

hey :)

i finally looked at the Pop Lock n Shimmy, and i have to say i'm so loving michelle first of all, and secondly i find this dvd super fantastic for my beginner level! everything is so well explained, shown, and done nice and slowly to strengthen correctiveness from the very beginning. love this one alot, and think i'll do this till my Luscious comes!

:)

Rahil

Funny thing is, one of the sets was actually the roof of the sewage treatment plant in town here where they shot. I still can't believe they made them dance there.

Oresai

I just bought Sarah Skinner`s I Love Turkish Bellydance dvd, haven`t got it yet (needs to come from the USA) but am looking forward to it and if anyone has it would appreciate a review. :)
I also have the Belly Twins, the first two, I liked them because for a clutz like me they`re easy enough to follow and they help me exercise. :D
I also have Blanca`s Sensual DVD and love it! I`ve already learned a lot from it but I do wish she wouldn`t stop halfway through demonstrating a move to start talking! I don`t mean she talks you through the move, but gets halfway through one then kind of wanders vocally about it....but for all that I love the dvd. :)

I wish someone would make an instructional dvd about making costumes!
And I zamzarred the Shimmy videos, also wish we had that show over here, looked on their website but the dvd set is a little expensive for me right now so I have to make do with the segments downloaded from Youtube. I love them, they have taught me little routines and it does make a difference to watch it in such lovely settings and with pretty costumes. :)

Oresai

Thanks Mya (((((((:)) )))))))))))))
That was a brilliant thread to read....can`t find any mention of the dvd I mentioned though there is one of another of Sarah`s which was interesting. Lots of great ideas and reviews so that I know what to look out for now. :)
I`ll do a review of the dvd when I get it. :D

Maxine

Ladies please, if you are interested in classical Egyptian oriental dance. Please use this DVD FATEN SALAMA -- Native Egyptian Master Instructor of Danse Oriental 2009 Her basic moves DVDs is good even if you are advanced.

Do yourself a favor. I looked at the previous lists and I wanted to :wall:

I wasted so much money on bad dvds and teachers. I am truly blessed to learn from Faten Salama and I highly recommend her dvds. If you ever get the chance to do her workshops or class do it! She is the real thing!!!

For obvious reasons (cultural family taboo stuff) she did not perform oriental. She was a soloist folkloric dancer. But, in private she knew how to dance oriental like no one's business. Back in the day and still today she is well known in the Egyptian dance world and she is well respected by legends such as Fifi Abdo etc.

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

Ladies please, if you are interested in classical Egyptian oriental dance. Please use this DVD FATEN SALAMA -- Native Egyptian Master Instructor of Danse Oriental 2009 Her basic moves DVDs is good even if you are advanced.

Do yourself a favor. I looked at the previous lists and I wanted to :wall:

I wasted so much money on bad dvds and teachers. I am truly blessed to learn from Faten Salama and I highly recommend her dvds. If you ever get the chance to do her workshops or class do it! She is the real thing!!!

For obvious reasons (cultural family taboo stuff) she did not perform oriental. She was a soloist folkloric dancer. But, in private she knew how to dance oriental like no one's business. Back in the day and still today she is well known in the Egyptian dance world and she is well respected by legends such as Fifi Abdou etc.

Gosh, I dont think im gonna fork out out 45-50 dollars for a DVD. IMHO Nothing can justify that price. Jenna's Basics and Beyond with 180 min of material for under 20 dollars is a good competition, not to mention lots of other fab and professional DVD in the same price range.

:naghty: for you IAMED and others charging rip-off prices! At some point it stops being art, and becomes pure money-making. :mad:

Maxine

Gosh, I dont think im gonna fork out out 45-50 dollars for a DVD. IMHO Nothing can justify that price. Jenna's Basics and Beyond with 180 min of material for under 20 dollars is a good competition, not to mention lots of other fab and professional DVD in the same price range.

:naghty: for you IAMED and others charging rip-off prices! At some point it stops being art, and becomes pure money-making. :mad:

(edited for bad language) I am her student and I can tell you Faten is not getting rich off these DVDs. I am offering advice from learning from experience shelling out lots of $$ for low-budget worthless DVDS sitting on my shelf. $45 is a bargain for the invaluable information you get. If she charged $100 I would buy her dvds!! Clearly you know nothing about classical Egyptian belly dance. I am glad you will never buy her dvd. You do not deserve her knowledge. And if the price scares you, thank God! Penny wise pound foolish!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reen.Blom

(edited for bad language) I am her student and I can tell you Faten is not getting rich off these DVDs. I am offering advice from learning from experience shelling out lots of $$ for low-budget worthless DVDS sitting on my shelf. $45 is a bargain for the invaluable information you get. If she charged $100 I would buy her dvds!! Clearly you know nothing about classical Egyptian belly dance. I am glad you will never buy her dvd. You do not deserve her knowledge. And if the price scares you, thank God! Penny wise pound foolish!

Easy, easy, no need to be so rude! Its against the rules of the forums by the way!:naghty::naghty::naghty:

I am so glad you are so blessed by the sacred knowledge ;), and news flash, I have no interest in Egyptian style.:lol:

If she was serious about the DVD, there would be
1) screenshots
2) video clip previews
3) at least information about WHAT is taught on the DVD insead of praises to the dancer.

Like that she will continue to sell only to fervent adepts. ;)

Hugs and best wishes,
reen.blom

Last edited by a moderator:

Sita

Call for calm

Dear Ladies,

Now we've gotten rid of the negativity in our systems, may we resume an informative and calm conversation that everyone can benefit from?

Bad language is against the rules and was uncalled for in this thread, although I understand it was rooted in passion it was still inexcusable.

Someone mentioned in a post an issue with the price IAMED placed on their videos, the instructor in question was not accused of anything. Futhermore bringing her into the debate which really concerns IAMED achieves nothing, especially as many well respected instructors have released DVD's through the company all in the higher price range. The way these DVD's are produced and advertised is normally in the hands of the companies producing and selling the DVD's in question.

Feel free to continue the coversation, but please do not resort to attacking members and using bad language to express your point.

Thank you,
Sita - moderator of the board.

Last edited:

jenc

I understand that making your own dvds is more expensive and that you won't sell as many because they are not mass marketed. I also agree that Jenna is very thorough, but not in the least Egyptian style. Nevertheless she is very good value for a Western beginner. Some of the other dvds mentionned, I also don't think a lot of.

BUT was there any need to be quite so rude to ReeBlom!

hede

How about dvd's for intermediate level belly dancers in Australia or New Zealand? Any recommendations?

I have 3 here by Neena and Veena Bidasha which I use when I cannot attend BD lessons but they're getting to be boring for me already :(

I live in Aus - the world dance new york website has a good range of dvd's and very good prices (shipping used to be free now its 5 bucks - yes international! - often works out cheaper than buying a dvd in this country...go figure, definitely cheaper than amazon for international. But I do tend to read reviews on amazon before buying.)

I have bought a number of dvds from WDNY and IMHO they are all very good and consistent in quality - and well described so look for something that says intermediate in the style you like. Love ranya renee, love all the fusion esp. anasma and fayzah...loved luscious, but tend not to use it anymore a little easy, love blanca, love autumn ward oh I love them all...good instruction, drills, performance, good menus (very important!) I often do warmup from one and drills from another and technique from another...I'd love to have them all on hard disk actually so I could mix and match my own workouts.

I have also bought from BDSS, cheeky girls and IAMED - as said before IAMED are good but pricey, cheeky girls are good but postage on amazon is a lot for international (did buy from film baby too for some which was a bit cheaper I think), BDSS are variable in quality - I have very mixed feeling about their dvd's, read reviews carefully is my advice! some rachel brice has made it to ebay in australia. And also from ebay I bought Suhaila's workout set of 4 dvd's, about $35 I think - these are fantastic. If I'm ever dithering and just need to workout with basic drills thrown in this is what I use...

I do wish all the bellydance dvd producers would take a look at some of the yoga dvd's to see how flexible they can be in 'personalising' your own routines on a dvd (eg Kundalini yoga with Ana and Ravi - not a huge fan of them per se but 'the matrix' system is nice).

And in terms of personal instruction vs dvd - at least with a dvd it can be reviewed by peers so you can get a feel for the quality of the instruction. In some areas there are few teachers to choose from, no workshops (or very expensive ones) and the teachers aren't always that knowledgable or even skilled in some cases...

best wishes everyone from a dvd junkie!

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
AnjelaJP, Cheeky Girl production own website is the place to buy their DVDs, cheaper postage than Amazon ... Amazon is way too expensive when it comes to international post.

Cheeky Girls Productions - Instructional and Performance Belly Dance DVDs

DVDs here in Oz are way too expensive and the choices are very poor when it comes to BD, IMO

I also like to buy from ebay, postage it usually very good. Ocean State media on ebay has a good selection and postage is good. WDNY is another place I have purchased from cheap postage and fast arrival time.

I like Sarah Skinner's DVDs and Michelle Joyce (Cheeky Girls) also Ranya Renee.

I have read reviews on others that I would like, but the cost is prohibitive, when you convert the USD to AUD then add converted postage as well, so the above places I purchase from offer a good selection and reasonable cost
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
AnjelaJP, Cheeky Girl production own website is the place to buy their DVDs, cheaper postage than Amazon ... Amazon is way too expensive when it comes to international post.

Cheeky Girls Productions - Instructional and Performance Belly Dance DVDs

Hi Mosaic
To me it looks like you get a link to Amazon and Film Baby when you want to buy something. How do we buy directly from Cheeky girls website?
I bought four cheeky-dvd's a while ago but I got them from Amazon as I couldn't figure out any other way. What "killed" me was the custom fee that was as much as the cost of the dvd's. So I ended up paying twice as much. :shok: