Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tucking pelvis?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gabi View Post
    LOL

You have MINE ......... nah, the peanuts will just settle around your knees or ankles
    ROFL!! THAT'S why my feet are so big! LOL!!

AT

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I still have to figure out what they mean by Tucking pelvis.

Im working on it,I will figure it out sooner or later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rita1969 View Post
    Rita, this is why people have been urging you to find a teacher you can work with face to face. Doing a pelvic tilt incorrectly can cause extremely painful and limiting lower back injury. You need someone to show you and correct your posture.

Souzan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gabi View Post
    OK - now I'm confused! "Palika" says "butt must be totally loose" and yet my instructor and every video I've seen, not to mention the thread on butt tucking seems to indicate that the butt is tightened.

Can anyone help me understand this apparent contradiction???
    I actually go to great lengths to stress to my class that the glutes should NOT be working to put the pelvis in proper alignment; rather, the lowest ab muscles should pull the pelvis into place.

Similarly, during movements that require pelvic tilts, the low abs should pull rather than the glutes pushing.

I have never heard an instructor or video indicating that the glutes should be tight or engaged for this. For sharpening up and down hip movements, yes, the glutes come in real handy. All the more reason why you shouldn't be using them to hold posture. They should be free to assist with other hip work.

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

Mad

Quote Originally Posted by rita1969 View Post
    Oh my sweet lord Jesus! Rita, you START with tucking the pelvis, not work your way up to it!!!!! You need to have correct posture when drilling movements, both to prevent injury and to execute the movement correctly. *wanders off to bang head against wall*

I also impress upon my students the importance of tucking (and later on, tilting) the pelvis with the psoas rather than the glutes. In my experience glutes = thrust up, while psoas = tuck/tilt in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sedoniaraqs View Post
    have never heard an instructor or video indicating that the glutes should be tight or engaged for this. For sharpening up and down hip movements, yes, the glutes come in real handy. All the more reason why you shouldn't be using them to hold posture. They should be free to assist with other hip work.

Sedonia

Okay, at ONE Shareen el Safy workshop she indicated that she pulls her glute muscles tight when she's shimmying. We asked about this a couple of times, because it seemed somewhat anathema to what some of us had learned, but she reassured us the glutes were "really tight back there."

This never felt right to me, and since she didn't teach it on any of her other videos, I sort of dismissed it. But for the record, she said it. I still don't understand why she said it, because she never looks like she's all that tight when she dances, but I've never really STUDIED Shareen's butt.

Post Thanks / Like

"tailbone down" explanation really did the trick for me/.... I think untill then I was really tilting it too much, but afterwards there appeared a feeling of a "longer lower back" and not some unnaturaly tucked feeling....LOL hope that makes sense.... Now if I look at the dancer I 1st look at the lower back and if it is not "elongated" as a basic position I dont watch further.... LOL gives me a painful feeling....LOL
    Last edited by Reen.Blom; 10-31-2007 at 08:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sedoniaraqs View Post
    I actually go to great lengths to stress to my class that the glutes should NOT be working to put the pelvis in proper alignment; rather, the lowest ab muscles should pull the pelvis into place.

Similarly, during movements that require pelvic tilts, the low abs should pull rather than the glutes pushing.

I have never heard an instructor or video indicating that the glutes should be tight or engaged for this. For sharpening up and down hip movements, yes, the glutes come in real handy. All the more reason why you shouldn't be using them to hold posture. They should be free to assist with other hip work.

Sedonia

me too w/ my students (yes, the low abs NOT the glutes).... in fact IF they are not getting it... I will sometimes give em the example of the "Elvis" (for lack of a better.. or should I say LESS descriptive! word!!)
    as what NOT to do.... (for you young'uns, the Elvis consists of SQUEEZING your glutes strongly together while..... hmmmmm..... thrusting your pelvis forward in a suggestive?!>? manner......)

Post Thanks / Like

but I've never really STUDIED Shareen's butt.
    ...and what did you learn online today, my dear? Oh, we studied butts and tucking techniques and it was fascinating!

Sometimes I think if I don't say some version of, "Is your tail tucked?" two hundred times in a beginning class, I am not doing my job.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 11-01-2007 at 03:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belly_dancer View Post
    me too w/ my students (yes, the low abs NOT the glutes).... in fact IF they are not getting it... I will sometimes give em the example of the "Elvis" (for lack of a better.. or should I say LESS descriptive! word!!)
    as what NOT to do.... (for you young'uns, the Elvis consists of SQUEEZING your glutes strongly together while..... hmmmmm..... thrusting your pelvis forward in a suggestive?!>? manner......)
    You use Elvis to illustrate the wrong way -- I use the "Let's do the time warp again" dance.

I love illustrating the wrong way to do things.

Sedonia

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast