Tucking pelvis?

Gabi

Hi Sara..there is a pretty detailed post on this link to another forum on lower abs, so thought you might like to have an a nose;)

http://heavyhips.tribe.net/thread/5a612e7e-bc02-4a09-9913-f754b78521d2

OK - now I'm confused! "Palika" says "butt must be totally loose" and yet my instructor and every video I've seen, not to mention the thread on butt tucking seems to indicate that the butt is tightened.

Can anyone help me understand this apparent contradiction???

tim ema

OK - now I'm confused! "Palika" says "butt must be totally loose" and yet my instructor and every video I've seen, not to mention the thread on butt tucking seems to indicate that the butt is tightened.

OOoo.. I would like to know this too! I have run into a similar contradiction!

I have been assuming that "tucked in" refers to the pelvis but NOT the glutial muscles. I give quite a rude pelvic thrust forward - then relax just a little - and use that as my "tucked in" posture and leave my butt muscles loose.
I want to know if I am doing this correctly!

Thank you for posting this topic!
:)
AT

Gia al Qamar

It's an unfortunate choice of words that some teacher's use to try to get students to lengthen their spines but pointing the tailbone to the ground.
You are not actually 'tucking' the pelvis under, but rather are using the psoas muscles (they're located in the lower abdomen and run around the outside of your groin) to push the tailbone so it is pointing to the ground...the buttocks aren't involved at all.
Think of pulling your belly button in to your spine, but not over-using your abs and completely disengaging your tush!
Gia

Gabi

It's an unfortunate choice of words that some teacher's use to try to get students to lengthen their spines but pointing the tailbone to the ground.
You are not actually 'tucking' the pelvis under, but rather are using the psoas muscles (they're located in the lower abdomen and run around the outside of your groin) to push the tailbone so it is pointing to the ground...the buttocks aren't involved at all.
Think of pulling your belly button in to your spine, but not over-using your abs and completely disengaging your tush!
Gia

Just repeating the good stuff here :D

Thanks!! This is very helpful and explains why this move both hurts and helps my (torn) psoas muscle. OK, now that I've been trying to engage my glutes I'll work on concentrating more in and up - the lower abs actually don't give me much problem *whew* and frankly, my butt looked kinda silly and pointed when I clenched :eek:

Gabi

Ah! I am understanding now!
Great info!

ROFL! When pointed and clenched I at least look like a HAVE a butt!

:)
AT

I DO understand - but mine just looked like a put a pointy hat on it :eek: - I too am in need of some buttage and boobage. Oh my, is there hope ...g

tim ema

....... I too am in need of some buttage and boobage. Oh my, is there hope ...g

Boobage I got, hon! If I could unload some on ya, trust me I would! I think when the gods were handing it out I got a double portion 'cause someone was in the bathroom or something and didn't get theirs! LOL!!

Haven't gotten into any real chest shaking yet for that reason - don't have an industrial bra yet. Once I've got jingles on the mamas and start tossing them around they better be STRAPPED DOWN TO SOMETHING! :p :D :eek:

Maybe if I jump up and down my boobs will get smaller and my butt will get bigger! Like peanuts settling to the bottom of the bag!

Ya think?
:p
AT

Gabi

.......I got a double portion 'cause someone was in the bathroom or something and didn't get theirs! LOL!!
Maybe if I jump up and down my boobs will get smaller and my butt will get bigger! Like peanuts settling to the bottom of the bag!

Ya think?
:p
AT

LOL

You have MINE :mad: ......... nah, the peanuts will just settle around your knees or ankles :eek:

Selkie

I DO understand - but mine just looked like a put a pointy hat on it :eek:

*DIES* oh gods, Gabs, the images... Now I want pics :D

You're followin' me around again, aren't you?! Everywhere I go, there's that darned dog runner....

(nb for others, Gabi and I have known each other for years and have a tendancy to follow each other around the net :D )

Gabi

*DIES* oh gods, Gabs, the images... Now I want pics :D

You're followin' me around again, aren't you?! Everywhere I go, there's that darned dog runner....

(nb for others, Gabi and I have known each other for years and have a tendancy to follow each other around the net :D )

:p it's that old saying about great minds - we naturally travel the same directions ..... your boobs and my ummm, ummmm, enthusiasm, that's it enthusiasm ;~)

rita1969

Banned
I still have to figure out what they mean by Tucking pelvis.

Im working on it,I will figure it out sooner or later.

Souzan

Rita, this is why people have been urging you to find a teacher you can work with face to face. Doing a pelvic tilt incorrectly can cause extremely painful and limiting lower back injury. You need someone to show you and correct your posture.

Souzan

sedoniaraqs

I actually go to great lengths to stress to my class that the glutes should NOT be working to put the pelvis in proper alignment; rather, the lowest ab muscles should pull the pelvis into place.

Similarly, during movements that require pelvic tilts, the low abs should pull rather than the glutes pushing.

I have never heard an instructor or video indicating that the glutes should be tight or engaged for this. For sharpening up and down hip movements, yes, the glutes come in real handy. All the more reason why you shouldn't be using them to hold posture. They should be free to assist with other hip work.

Sedonia

GalateaDancer

Oh my sweet lord Jesus! Rita, you START with tucking the pelvis, not work your way up to it!!!!! You need to have correct posture when drilling movements, both to prevent injury and to execute the movement correctly. *wanders off to bang head against wall*

I also impress upon my students the importance of tucking (and later on, tilting) the pelvis with the psoas rather than the glutes. In my experience glutes = thrust up, while psoas = tuck/tilt in.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

have never heard an instructor or video indicating that the glutes should be tight or engaged for this. For sharpening up and down hip movements, yes, the glutes come in real handy. All the more reason why you shouldn't be using them to hold posture. They should be free to assist with other hip work.

Sedonia

Okay, at ONE Shareen el Safy workshop she indicated that she pulls her glute muscles tight when she's shimmying. We asked about this a couple of times, because it seemed somewhat anathema to what some of us had learned, but she reassured us the glutes were "really tight back there."

This never felt right to me, and since she didn't teach it on any of her other videos, I sort of dismissed it. But for the record, she said it. I still don't understand why she said it, because she never looks like she's all that tight when she dances, but I've never really STUDIED Shareen's butt. :)

Reen.Blom

"tailbone down" explanation really did the trick for me/.... I think untill then I was really tilting it too much, but afterwards there appeared a feeling of a "longer lower back" and not some unnaturaly tucked feeling....LOL hope that makes sense.... Now if I look at the dancer I 1st look at the lower back and if it is not "elongated" as a basic position I dont watch further.... LOL gives me a painful feeling....LOL

Last edited:

belly_dancer

I actually go to great lengths to stress to my class that the glutes should NOT be working to put the pelvis in proper alignment; rather, the lowest ab muscles should pull the pelvis into place.

Similarly, during movements that require pelvic tilts, the low abs should pull rather than the glutes pushing.

I have never heard an instructor or video indicating that the glutes should be tight or engaged for this. For sharpening up and down hip movements, yes, the glutes come in real handy. All the more reason why you shouldn't be using them to hold posture. They should be free to assist with other hip work.

Sedonia

me too w/ my students (yes, the low abs NOT the glutes).... in fact IF they are not getting it... I will sometimes give em the example of the "Elvis" (for lack of a better.. or should I say LESS descriptive! word!!)
as what NOT to do.... (for you young'uns, the Elvis consists of SQUEEZING your glutes strongly together while..... :think: hmmmmm..... thrusting your pelvis forward in a suggestive?!>? manner......)

Shanazel

but I've never really STUDIED Shareen's butt.

...and what did you learn online today, my dear? Oh, we studied butts and tucking techniques and it was fascinating!

Sometimes I think if I don't say some version of, "Is your tail tucked?" two hundred times in a beginning class, I am not doing my job.

Last edited:

sedoniaraqs

me too w/ my students (yes, the low abs NOT the glutes).... in fact IF they are not getting it... I will sometimes give em the example of the "Elvis" (for lack of a better.. or should I say LESS descriptive! word!!)
as what NOT to do.... (for you young'uns, the Elvis consists of SQUEEZING your glutes strongly together while..... :think: hmmmmm..... thrusting your pelvis forward in a suggestive?!>? manner......)

You use Elvis to illustrate the wrong way -- I use the "Let's do the time warp again" dance.

I love illustrating the wrong way to do things. :cool:

Sedonia