Losing motivation to practise

Sara

Hey guys,

For a while now I've hardly bothered to practise much at all. Especially going over basic movements. I used to love dancing, and I still do, but now I want to spend more time in the gym and getting flexible and toned, and can't find the motivation to do dance practise. I do still go to classes, and mill about the house dancing, but not proper practise.

Any idea's how to get motivated again? I don't even bother doing my drills when I get up and go to bed anymore. :(

I think I'm having dancing block :(

Caroline_afifi

Hey guys,

For a while now I've hardly bothered to practise much at all. Especially going over basic movements. I used to love dancing, and I still do, but now I want to spend more time in the gym and getting flexible and toned, and can't find the motivation to do dance practise. I do still go to classes, and mill about the house dancing, but not proper practise.

Any idea's how to get motivated again? I don't even bother doing my drills when I get up and go to bed anymore. :(

Have you considered a trip to Egypt or a festival? both are excellent for putting some fire back in your belly. Perhpas you are lacking stimulation from the sources around you?

Sara

I was thinking a festival. I go back to Uni in September, but before I go back I was wanting to go to a show or something. I'll have to look up stuff going on up North. :) I reckon a night of dancing will cheer me up a lot and talking to toher dancers.

Aisha Azar

Practice, etc.

Hey guys,

Dear Sara,
Over the last 34 years of dance, I have had several times in my life when I was not very motivated to practice. I think this happens to every dancer on occasion. For me, it has always been times when my energies were scattered in many directions and I could not seem to enjoy practicing by myself because it seemed like one more chore to do. Thankfully these times have been short lived. You may have a different reason for not feeling like practicing. Do your workouts take it out of you to the point where you feel too relaxed to want to practice, or too tired? Could you maybe dance before you go to the gym? This is what I had to do when I got a big dog that requires a trip to the park every day. I now dance before we walk because I just want to sit and have a cup of coffee after dragging around after a German Shepherd on long-line!
And regarding dancing block, remember that if you just feel like your dancing is off right now somehow, this is usually a sign of growth in dance and your discontent is there because it is like fitting into a new skin, sort of and it is just not that comfortable yet. Give yourself a month or two and see how it goes.
The other thing is, you might just be losing interest in the dance and there is no crime in that either.
Sometimes its hard to know what the issue is, but I hope you work it out for yourself.
Regards,
A'isha

sstacy123

I find my enthusiasm weakening from time to time and then I see someone dance that just blows me over and I feel motivated again...so perhaps a festival would help.

Eshta

Hey guys,

I think it happens to everyone!

Lots of good advice so far.

Sometimes you can't force it. I love arabic music, it's pretty much all the music I have, but sometimes I go through phases where I stop listening to it for a couple of weeks & veer off into western music. But it's normally quite short-lived. I also occasionally drink coffee, but I'm still a tea girl at heart! If you need a week off, even a month off, it's ok too! I've had phases like this where I've tried to force myself but it's made it worse. When I leave it alone it normally sorts itself out!

You also may have accidentally wound up in a rut. If you are just drilling day & night, you might be a bit bored without realising it, & maybe need some 'project' to aim for. Or perhaps a complete break from working towards goals & just kick back & "dance".

I'm also the kind of person that is CONSTANTLY juggling too many things at once (I can't live any other way!) and sometimes I am trying to 'cram in' my practice rather than going at a pace where I am enjoying it. I'm doing it because I've allocated that time slot to it, & I'm ticking it off my list, & I'm annoyed I'm not getting anywhere. When I notice that it's often a sign I'm a bit overloaded & need to clear some time to actualyl dedicate to it rather than whizz through.

khanjar

I would not worry about it, you did it and enjoyed it, perhaps it is you have other things on your mind at the moment. If you really enjoyed the dance, you will come back to it when you are ready.

Sometimes forcing an interest because you feel you should be interested is a good way of losing an interest. Go back to University, get on with your studies, settle in and become comfortable, maybe then you will again feel the pull to your dance.

Uni, go and enjoy yourself, if dance is included, great, if not, enjoy yourself anyway.

jenc

Are you depressed at all? I have had a lot going on at home and haven't done more than atttend practice. Now my waist has ballooned and my knee is startin to play up so I'm feeling worse than ever.

Eshta

Are you depressed at all? I have had a lot going on at home and haven't done more than atttend practice. Now my waist has ballooned and my knee is startin to play up so I'm feeling worse than ever.

Hugs to Jenc! It will get better!!!

Sara

Nah, I'm not depressed. I'm always too chirpy and happy. I don't think I've lost interest in the dance, cause I think about dancing everyday. I think what my problem is I want to be the best I can be. I'm so determined to go back to uni looking fab that I've kinda put everything on a hold. I dunno. Reckon what I've been watching too much TV with all the fit unbertoned celebs, lol. :lol:

Part of me is probably lazy too. :naghty: Lately if I know I can do a move, then I just won't work on it. :think: Yup laziness is what I reckon, :rolleyes:

Aisha Azar

Dance etc.

Nah, I'm not depressed. I'm always too chirpy and happy. I don't think I've lost interest in the dance, cause I think about dancing everyday. I think what my problem is I want to be the best I can be. I'm so determined to go back to uni looking fab that I've kinda put everything on a hold. I dunno. Reckon what I've been watching too much TV with all the fit unbertoned celebs, lol. :lol:

Part of me is probably lazy too. :naghty: Lately if I know I can do a move, then I just won't work on it. :think: Yup laziness is what I reckon, :rolleyes:

Dear Sara,
Honey, if your avatar is a photo of you, I don't think you have a single thing to worry about when it comes to looking fab. You are absolutely gorgeous!!
Regards,
A'isha

Sara

Dear Sara,
Honey, if your avatar is a photo of you, I don't think you have a single thing to worry about when it comes to looking fab. You are absolutely gorgeous!!
Regards,
A'isha

:redface: Thanks! I guess we never think of ourselves as gorgeous. Or at least I don't cause I spend too much time looking at my flaws. :lol:

Pia

I think the festival idea is a good one-I went through a similar thing can't be bothered phase a while ago and being surrounded by dance resuced my enthusiam. Hope your comes back

If you are feeling more focused on working out at the moment (though it sure doesn't look like you need to!) then why not introduce some high energy dance as part of your workout routine? Dancing to drum solos or other high energy music would both provide some aerobic exercise and help keep your practice up.

Alternatively have you been practicing the same old things for too long and are now finding it a bit boring? If so, maybe just creating a challenging new practice routine, getting hold of some good DVDs to practice to or taking a class or workshop with a new teacher, would help provide a bit of variation and make it feel less of the "same old same old"?

Sara

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the tips and support. I've decided to go to JOY, and have been wanting to practise more now that I haven't been. Which is all good. :) Plus watching dancers on you tube has helped too.

I think a large part of it could be my environment. Not very productive one, lol. Oh well. Have to find somewhere nice.

kayshier

glad i found this thread.
recently i have been battling the same feelings of disenchantment..or lack of motivation.
maybe because i just don't have the space to practice right now.

Sara

Hey!

I've been finding my surroundings a really big hinderence. I'm always distracted, I don't get any time alone, and the space I have is limited to a bedroom with no space and since all three pets literally follow me everywhere, it get's a bit stressy lol. When I go back to Uni though I'll hopefully have more space. I'm going to try and create a nice space to practise in and make it exciting to be in, lol.

Perhaps that should be a task! We should all (if we dunt already have one) tr and make a nice space to practise in and post pics ^__^

Aniseteph

Perhaps that should be a task! We should all (if we dunt already have one) tr and make a nice space to practise in and post pics ^__^

Great idea! I have plans for a practise space (cunningly disguised as plans for a spare room/study that just happens to have a wall of mirrored wardrobes ;)). It hasn't amounted to much yet though. I'm good at plans, rubbish at getting on with them.

Aisha Azar

Space

Dear Gang,
My office and my dance space and my costume space are all in the same postage stamp sized room. I have a computer desk, 2 floor to ceiling book shelves, a smaller computer desk that holds office supplies and has some of my CDs in shelves on top of it, 2 five foot mirrors on one wall, a 5 foot high file cabinet with my music system on it, another cupboard with old National Geographics from 1921 to about 2 years ago in it, another smaller cabinet with .... I can't remember what... in it, this drawer thing that used to be my grandmother's end table about 3 1/2 feet long a clothing rack and about 10 storage bins full or costumes that will not fit in the closet. I have to move stuff out of the way to practice!! I have learned how to practice on a dime if necessary and adjust for stage space as it happens. Right now it looks like the wreck of the Hesperus in here.
Regards,
A'isha