Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brea View Post
    Huh...yeah, 70 is a decent restaurant price, but aren't most private parties $200 or more?
    See I think she was thinking that since I was a student and the regular rate she charges was $70 then I should get $50.

But Sedonia is right, even if the rate WAS only $70 I should have gotten the full $70 not a discounted rate... and most certainly NOT 10 freeking dollars!!!

It was a private party, so it should have been much more than $10, $50, or even $70 according to the website Sedonia posted.

*Ive got my head in my hands right now* I feel like I got taken for a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    See I think she was thinking that since I was a student and the regular rate she charges was $70 then I should get $50.

But Sedonia is right, even if the rate WAS only $70 I should have gotten the full $70 not a discounted rate... and most certainly NOT 10 freeking dollars!!!

It was a private party, so it should have been much more than $10, $50, or even $70 according to the website Sedonia posted.

*Ive got my head in my hands right now* I feel like I got taken for a ride.
    You got screwed...but it happens to everyone eventually. Now you have a real professional belly dancer horror story, though...

Don't feel too badly. I bet it won't happen again!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with de Sage although I would not call it a horror story. If you are considering at any point to enter the dance world as a professional then you will encounter worse.

Dont take everything to heart and get mad and upset over everything that happens or you will not last another 6 months, not even as a student.

Honestly, it may sound a little unsupportive but it is the best advice I can give. Learn your lessons but keep a level head and keep things in perspective the best you can.

Post Thanks / Like

its treu,come on it was a good lesson....cheer up you have another 1000 shows coming your way,i am sure ..chin up tomorrow another day,its done and you looz if you feel miserable still now ,dont let it spoil your mood,hugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Lydia

Post Thanks / Like

So, I did another performance on Friday... and I'm pretty sure it was probably the worst belly dance experience ever.

So my instructor calls me up and says that she has a client that wants her to dance for them, and that she has an engagement that will not allow her to make it. She told them that she has a student that could do the job for them.

So, I accept and then we hammer out the details. My teacher assures me that I will be paid for the event, she doesn't know how much, because they told her they would "throw me something to help me pay for my expenses", but they didn't clarify. (yeah this is where I should have known it was going downhill)

Anyway, trusting that all would be on the up and up... I called the client to iron out the details with her. She tells me that during the party there will be a 50/50 and that she would be giving me some of the proceeds from that. I was assured that there would be at least 30-40 women there and that I would at least be getting $50. (I'm a student, its only my second time dancing and I'm filling in for someone else so I thought this was fair)

So the afternoon of the day Im supposed to be performing I call the client one more time, something told me that I should call her and make sure that she had a sound system there because that was the only thing we didn't talk about when I called her the first time. She tells me, "No ____ told me you were brining your own!" The thing is... I dont have one.

So an hour before the show I have to run to Wal-mart and buy a small boom box for $20.

I get to the place finally right on time and the woman keeps telling me to wait a few more mins, because she wants to give all the ladies time to show up. I look around and there are 7 women there...nowhere near the 30-40 she said there would be. So I sit and wait.... and wait.... and wait.... I wait for a total of 30 mins... not ONE more person shows up. So I finally say, look Im going to dance now because I cant wait any longer I have another engagement etc etc... I dance, I gather my things to leave and I go to the hostess to collect my pay.

She goes to her purse and pulls out a $10 and hands it to me and says, "This is all I have, but it should be enough right? We didn't get as many women as I had hoped! Ill give you more the next time you come back"

I'm thinking..."lady there is no way in hell I'm coming back"

So I went through all of that... for $10???? $10??? It didn't even pay for the stereo I bought. On top of that they made me late for a Hafla I was going to attend the same night...

I was so upset. Im still upset when I think about it.

Anyway... that was my experience the second time I performed...
    Ahh... Well done Lady!!! It takes alot of confidence to dance in front of a crowd of 7, 10, 50 etc... and only you're 2nd time dancing. You should be very proud of yourself!!!
    As for the teacher she needs to get her act together, it's not a very good representation of her company if she's sending a student who's only ever danced twice.
    Poor form. Find yourself another teacher, and bill the last one the extra $10.00 for your stereo.

Post Thanks / Like

dear amber
    i see you are a begginer in the world of performances... your teacher should get more info from the lady who hired her/you. and she should tell all the details regarding music, room to change, dance floor, audience and payment! people are strange and you should never believe them! allways take care of yourself first. allways call the clinet to make sure everything will be in place-if not, then they should appologize and make some changes for you! it doesn't matter if ther is only 7 people in the audience or 2000, the payment is the same for you! and you should stand for your self infront of the lady and show her new radio and costume-the is not for free. and you should tell her that you are not going to leave till she pays what you want!
    think about it and allways protect yourself.
    whishing you nice performances in the future and lot of good experiences!
    bye

Post Thanks / Like

She tells me, "No ____ told me you were brining your own!" The thing is... I dont have one.

So an hour before the show I have to run to Wal-mart and buy a small boom box for $20.

That was where you should have told her you wouldn't do the gig. How awful!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    That was where you should have told her you wouldn't do the gig. How awful!
    I can totally see how Amber would have felt she was letting her teacher down if she canceled at the last minute, even if it were for a perfectly good reason.

It's really hard to do what seems to be "the right thing", and also always get the compensation/respect you deserve.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the support ladies. Its been a few weeks since then and Ive ironed everything out with my instructor. (at least I think so) I had a chat with her about not charging enough and how it undercuts other dancers in the area (stuff I learned from here, bhuz, and the link that Sedoina provided)

We also had a chat about the fact that next time I do a performance for/with her Im going to need to be paid up front and I gave her my price.

I like my instructor a lot, and she is more than just my teacher shes my friend... but she has a lot of bad ideas about "making it" and such, because she really didn't have that much guidance when she started. She takes a lot of jobs for no pay or very little because she thinks she needs the "exposure". And shes too soft-hearted to say no, to a lot of these people that want something for nothing.

So I guess it didn't strike her as a bad thing when that happened to me.

But like I said, we had a chat, and I got things all ironed out with her. She knows my stance and she also knows that I wont be taking any more jobs like that.

So its all good

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Well done Amber.

What a wonderful way of looking at you're experience, it has helped you to evolve into both the soulful aspect of dance, and also the business aspect.
    Things happen to us for a reason. You've discovered yours. Your teacher will also benefit from your experience.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Lotus Dance
    Thanks for all the support ladies. Its been a few weeks since then and Ive ironed everything out with my instructor. (at least I think so) I had a chat with her about not charging enough and how it undercuts other dancers in the area (stuff I learned from here, bhuz, and the link that Sedoina provided)

We also had a chat about the fact that next time I do a performance for/with her Im going to need to be paid up front and I gave her my price.

I like my instructor a lot, and she is more than just my teacher shes my friend... but she has a lot of bad ideas about "making it" and such, because she really didn't have that much guidance when she started. She takes a lot of jobs for no pay or very little because she thinks she needs the "exposure". And shes too soft-hearted to say no, to a lot of these people that want something for nothing.

So I guess it didn't strike her as a bad thing when that happened to me.

But like I said, we had a chat, and I got things all ironed out with her. She knows my stance and she also knows that I wont be taking any more jobs like that.

So its all good

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast