How much is too much?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
A good example, the thing where you use both hands to raise the hair in the back of the head. Okay, my hair is curly and short, so this would look silly on me. Secondly, even men who do have straight long hair do not do this. This is again a female gesture to show off the beauty of her hair and how long it is.
Just because I know Tarik would kill me - I won't mention what gesture just happens to be coincidentally choreographed into a Shemadan duette a certain fairly well-known female dancer and I are putting together right now! :lol: :dance:

Last edited:

Twilight Spiral

Woo, this thread took off.

Ok, I have been doing research and working on my music collection, but I am kind of confused about some of styles of dance.

So many say that Egyptian is a style that is more free when it comes to movements, but that is the part that is confusing me. Does it have an area of the dance that it focus on one like the hips or upper body movement? I am not really sure.

I have also been trying to find a dance style that uses the gypsy skirt, but I am going up dead. I know it is out there, I saw a troupe use them, I just don't remember for what style.

Then there is tribal fusion, I am not sure what I am looking at. It is said to be a mixture of the different belly dances with modern styles...Correct if I am wrong, but it seems...Well too modern. I have seen videos on youtube that were just weird. They didn't look like belly dance. Something more lie from "You Think You Can Dance." Can someone please help me understand these better? I have used the search, but I honestly can't pin point what I am looking.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I have also been trying to find a dance style that uses the gypsy skirt, but I am going up dead. I know it is out there, I saw a troupe use them, I just don't remember for what style.
My instructor taught us an "Andalusian Skirt Dance" which was a lot of fun! Big, full, "Gypsy" skirts.

Twilight Spiral

Eve- This is very, very, very, helpful, thank you very much ^__^

Shahravar- Umm, I have done some studying on the Dervishes and what they do is not a dance in so many words. It is really a form of mediation they do to reach their religious ecstasy.

Though the it has become a attraction for tourist.

I don't mean you question or knowledge, I just mean to correct you. Sorry if it came off any other way.

Zorba- I believe I saw a video with you doing a skirt dance. Thank you Zorba, this is a huge help ^^

Twilight Spiral

I thought I would add another though to this thread, it really just came to me. I think it is rather interesting.

I haven't practiced in awhile and school and work seem to kill it. Well, I have read so many books about people who are blind, but in fact are great at other skills.

Now please note this a random idea so be nice, please?

Has anyone ever thought of dancing with a blind fold? I mean the thought seems exotic. By blinding our eyes we put more trust in the movement and beat of the music.

I know it can't be done with many dances since they take much space and we need our sight to crash into a light of wall. What do all you think?

da Sage

I thought I would add another though to this thread, it really just came to me. I think it is rather interesting.

I haven't practiced in awhile and school and work seem to kill it. Well, I have read so many books about people who are blind, but in fact are great at other skills.

Now please note this a random idea so be nice, please?

Has anyone ever thought of dancing with a blind fold? I mean the thought seems exotic. By blinding our eyes we put more trust in the movement and beat of the music.

I know it can't be done with many dances since they take much space and we need our sight to crash into a light of wall. What do all you think?

It's an intriguing idea, but I feel dancing with blindfold or eyes closed is best done for oneself - it doesn't make a very good show. Most audiences would find it alienating, like a dance done in a mask, but more so.

That said, I have danced with eyes closed while trying to integrate a new step with a less-used finger cymbal pattern. That was for training purposes, to eliminate distractions. It was a successful technique.

Twilight Spiral

da Sage-I never put the factor of eye contact into place, so can see how it will alienate the audiences. It was rather funny, since I have been so busy with school, I have always had a book to read and thus the idea.

So it works? I have thought about ways to put some moves to music, for fun, and was looking for ways to focus better. Hmm, interesting way of training.

Twilight Spiral

jenc- If that is the case, then I suggest doing it it a wide open room. For practice I mean. DON'T take off your glasses for a performance! Safety first...Like need to tell a experience dancer *feels dumb*

Shanazel

If someone fixed me up with a seeing eye dog collared in sequins and chiffon, I'm sure I could do a dandy dance without my glasses.

Twilight Spiral

Shanazel- *tries to hold back laughter* I am sorry, I don't mean to laugh, but that was just so funny. I'm sorry. Haha, I thought my eyesight was bad.