Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance literature

We all seem to have a plethora of DVDs related to belly dance, whether they be instructional or performance-based, but what about books? Do you have BD-books of the instructional, informative, historical, memoir or even novel nature? Let's open up the library...

Me, I own the following:

Bellydancing for Fitness: The Sexy Art That Tones Your Abs, Butt, and Thighs by Rania Bossonis
    ~ (My first BD book, which inspired me to get Rania's DVD. I still like the CD that came with it.)

Bellydance: A Guide to Middle Eastern Dance, Its Music, Its Culture and Costume by Keti Sharif
    ~ (I found this really interesting as it introduced more of the cultural background to the dance, and introduced musical instrument and styles of which I was unfamiliar.)

Belly Dancing Basics by Laura Cooper and Sarah Skinner
    ~ (I did and didn't like this - I found some of the costumes distracting in the how-to section, as they hid the legs)

Bellydance by Dolphina
    ~ (I know a lot of people find her really naff, but I actually liked this best out of all the exercise books!)

Belly Dancing for Fitness: The Ultimate Dance Workout That Unleashes Your Creative Spirit by Tamalyn Dallal
    ~ (Not bad, she writes well, but didn't leave a particularly lasting impression)

Snake Hips: Belly Dancing and How I Found True Love by Anne Thomas Soffee
    ~ (I love this memoir. It's so witty and clever, and shows yet another side to performing)

The Compleat Belly Dancer by Julie Russo Mishkin.
    ~ (circa 1973 and out of print now, I got it off ebay for next to nothing as a curiosity: to see how things have or haven't changed over the years)

What's on your bookshelves?

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing. It is hard to get dvd's with belydanceing.but I am going to England and I am planeing to buy some, thanks for the thread, I will look for them.
    Love, Alaya

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great idea!!!

I have:

-Grandmother´s Secrets (The Ancient Rituals and Healing Power of Belly Dancing) by Rosina-Fawzia Al-Rawi

-Oriental Belly Dance by Kemal Özdemir (I bought it in Istanbul)

-The Belly Dance Book (Rediscovering the Oldest Dance) Edited by Tazz Richards

Tenica

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Gwinity, Tenica, I'm impressed!
    I've nothing (yet) on my bookshelves (at least not related to BD). So far I've only read text about BD from the internet (like the dance articles and guest stories on Salome's website)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Belly dance literature

Dear Group,
    There are so many books that touch on dance and culture of the Middle East and North AFrica. There are two that have recently caught my eye and I have one, but will soon be buying the other:

Anthony Shay and Barbara Sellers Young: BELLY DANCE: ORIENTAL TRANSNATIONALISM AND HAREM FANTASY, ISBN-1-568-59183-7

Yousef Garfinkel: DANCING AT THE DAWN OF AGRICULTURE, ISBN 13:978-0-292-72845-5

Then there are two of my old favorites, which are more like anthropologies than dealing strictly with dance:

Yedida Kalfon Stillman: ARAB DRESS FROM THE DAWN OF ISLAM TO MODERN TIMES; A SHORT HISTORY, ISBN- 90-04-11373-8 (This is a textbook for Islamic Studies classes.)

Edward William Lane: AN ACCOUNT OF THE MANNERS AND CUSTOMS OF THE MODERN EGYPTIANS (1860 Edition), ISBN977-424-784-1

This list is a great idea, Gwinity!!
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Last edited by Aisha Azar; 08-23-2006 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typos

Post Thanks / Like

Gwinity, what's "naff?" I have Dolphina's book. I thought the pictures were pretty, and it was the only belly dance book available at any of the bookstores I went to the day I was in the mood for a new book. I don't care for her dvds or her style, though, largely because I really dislike the commercialization of the Great Mother, and think all Dolphina's talk about being a warrior goddess through exercise is silly. My opinion, of course, others welcome to disagree without any rancor from me.

This is a great idea for a thread, and I am happily writing down my reading list for the winter. Thanks to all who are contributing and to Gwinity for the original brilliant idea.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi !
    I have:
    "Belly dancing for fitness" by Rania Androniki Bossonis
    "Belly dancing: unlock the secret power of ancient dance" by Rosina-Fawzia Al-Rawi
    "Costumes and accessory for oriental dance" by Govraninova (in russian)

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread! I've got:
    Grandmother's Secrets - initially I found it too big on spirituality for my taste, but I'm starting to find some interesting ideas in it.

A couple of Dawn Devine-Brown's costume books - inspiration and an excuse to get my colouring pens out .

I Put a Spell On You by Wendy Buonaventura (only a bit of bellydance). I really enjoyed this but it niggled me that she refers to Botox as a virus - kind of put me off chasing up copies of her other books.

That's all so far.

PS "Naff" - I've heard one acronym-type definition of its origin that is unfit for posting :eek: . But the sense it is used in the UK means slightly vulgar, common, tasteless, unclassy... that sort of thing.

Post Thanks / Like

OO, some great sounding books to go on my wish-list! These will provide plenty of reading material for the next few months.

A'isha, which of the two have you purchased so far, and do you recommend it? The "Oriental Transnationalism and Harem Fantasy" one sounds fascinating.

Gwinity, what's "naff?"
    Aniseteph pretty much covered it, but it's also used (here at least) as meaning, well, generally crap. I know many people here consider Dolphina not the best of instructors, and while I love her book, I'm glad I came here before contemplating the DVD!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi!

I do not possess many books but I've read many (thanks to the little library my teacher has in the studio!)

One of my favourite is Manners and Customs of Ancient Egyptians.

I have been interested for a long time by Grandmother's secret... What is it actually about?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast