Cover your eyes: Bodybuilding bellydance

Tarik Sultan

Ok I'm warning !!!!!!!!
Be carefull if you have heart problems stay away from this video !!
Also i'm shocked as she/he??? use greek music !!!!:mad:

........You mean you don't do this at home Maria? Oh well, I guess my fantasies of watching you flex your biceps while undulating around the Acropolis will never be realised!:lol:

Shanazel

...belly dance luge, belly dance triathalon, belly dance unparallel bars, and what's the one where they combine cross country skiing and rifle marksmanship?

Last edited:

Twilight Spiral

Ok can someone explained to me what the BIG DEAL is?! Ok yes at first I was disturbed but she has can belly dance. I have seen others who have a perfect belly dancer body and who couldn't do it all. They just flexed and moved their hips.

Sure she could use a better outfit, and is she is rather built, but she sure seems happy to me. I rather enjoyed the ice dancers, at least they dare to expand the horizon of belly dance. I swear, some people.

EDIT: The Belly Dancers on ice, what is the song and who sings it? I really enjoy it.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Okay, Twilight, I will explain from my own perspective as a dance teacher and a one-time (albeit long ago) professional dancer. Other people may have different reasons for negative reactions to these videos- I don't speak for everyone.

The big deal: People who have seriously studied middle eastern dance for any length of time tend to be irritated by the presumption and hubris of ice skaters, bodybuilders, and others who throw in a few hip movements and a shimmy or two into their chosen activity and hold themselves forth as belly dancers. It is a misrepresentation and what is worse a trivialization of belly dance.

The ice skaters were not expanding the horizon of belly dance, they were using a gimmick to gain attention for themselves in their own chosen activity, which is ice skating and not belly dance. They may have expanded the horizons of ice skating (not being a skater, I couldn't say) but as a belly dance, the performance was lacking in a number of essential elements. The body builder may be able to belly dance, but she did not prove it in this video. She was obviously a body builder using a few belly dance-like movements as a gimmick and not a belly dancer who decided to add flexing to her routine.

Last edited:

Twilight Spiral

Shanazel- I can see what you mean, in a sense, but I guess since I am still new they don't pop out. Still I found the way others looked at her who she was offensive and I had to say something.

Last edited:
Shanazel- I can see what you mean, in a sense, but I guess since I am still new they don't pop out. Still I found the way looked at her who she was offensive and I had to say something.
No she was not offensive...but the ego can't always be satisfied when one displays their talents within a public space. With that being said, closer inspection of her presentation, did not yield the grace typically known as a bellydance, nor the strength known of bodybuilders. The subconsious mind registers the disconnect.
What were your personal assessments?
Yasmine

Twilight Spiral

No she was not offensive...but the ego can't always be satisfied when one displays their talents within a public space. With that being said, closer inspection of her presentation, did not yield the grace typically known as a bellydance, nor the strength known of bodybuilders. The subconsious mind registers the disconnect.
What were your personal assessments?
Yasmine

No, Shanazel said nothing offensive, I am taking about the "cover your eyes", "Be carefull if you have heart problems stay away from this video", "give that poor girl a skirt" I am sorry, I have friends who aren't the best of looking, as well as my view on non-gender separation. So this just put off the edge.

I sooo, sorry. I am not proof reading again. Ag, my software teaching could slap me. Sorry again, but I still stand by words. There was no reason for cruel words.

Dev

No, Shanazel said nothing offensive, I am taking about the "cover your eyes", "Be carefull if you have heart problems stay away from this video", "give that poor girl a skirt" I am sorry, I have friends who aren't the best of looking, as well as my view on non-gender separation. So this just put off the edge.

I sooo, sorry. I am not proof reading again. Ag, my software teaching could slap me. Sorry again, but I still stand by words. There was no reason for cruel words.
Hello Twilight

Its always like that, "attractive quotation" get peoples attention, Would you believe the worst videos are the ones most watched here , For many of us its a hobby to find Belly Dance videos ( it does not have to be Belly dance, or any dance or any activities as long as the Belly dance tag is there) and put it here so we can sit back and enjoy the ripping.

Of course she is not looking for criticism, especially not from the Belly dance fraternity but because she put her video in YT and because she tagged it as Belly dance ,I think we have all the rights to criticise her. You can do it with ease Go to Y T type Bellydance and then follow all the links , There are so many to choose, I am surprised nobody has put Dinas sex video here with her late husband,I learned about that one from a Bhuz discussion. If Salome permits I can put the link here. I have never watched it but I am so sure about the tag, Dina Belly dancer.
And we can watch it all and then comment about it!

Shanazel

Shanazel- I can see what you mean, in a sense, but I guess since I am still new they don't pop out. Still I found the way others looked at her who she was offensive and I had to say something.

You are perfectly welcome to say what you think, Twilight. As Dipali comments, folks with enough chutzpah to post themselves as belly dancers when they are emphatically not tend to catch some rough comments. This is definitely one of the drawbacks of making oneself a public figure. Personally, I'd rather be nibbled to death by ducks than post anything on youtube or the equivalent. It makes me flat mad to see anyone taping dancers without their express permission, partially because one never knows where those tapes will end up. But folks who very obviously and deliberately publicize themselves open themselves to public comment and garner little sympathy from me if they don't receive complete approbation.

Dev

You are perfectly welcome to say what you think, Twilight. As Dipali comments, folks with enough chutzpah to post themselves as belly dancers when they are emphatically not tend to catch some rough comments. This is definitely one of the drawbacks of making oneself a public figure. Personally, I'd rather be nibbled to death by ducks than post anything on youtube or the equivalent. It makes me flat mad to see anyone taping dancers without their express permission, partially because one never knows where those tapes will end up. But folks who very obviously and deliberately publicize themselves open themselves to public comment and garner little sympathy from me if they don't receive complete approbation.

Dear Shanazel to clarify,
That video is not tagged as Belly Dancer, Its under sports , Bodybuilding.
Secondly if you want to watch the video in YT , you have to do the age verification thing, Its because Maria embedded the videos here so we can watch it without age verification.

Now please tell me why should we judge somebody as a Belly Dancer when she is not doing it.

Shanazel

The video title I saw was "muscular belly dancer." That leads me to conclude she is holding herself out as a belly dancer.