Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I have problems with my shimmies too, but it's getting better. Strangely I find it much easier in high heels (which most of the time I can't walk in, being a trainers/flipflops sort of girl) - it must be a balance/anatomy thing. And completely useless as I dance barefoot . Barefoot I have difficulty in keeping it controlled and the hips going up and down - I feel it descends into an undefined fast wobble more than I'd like.
    High heels are definitely easier to shimmy in, because they force you to keep the right shimmying posture.

Post Thanks / Like

Woe ...I'm a bit confused!
    My teachers told that shimmy is a vibration lead by the knees (relaxed but not really bent), while we called the fast and defined hip movement (like that of Amira Mor in her Habibi Ya Ainy choreography) "fast balance" ...

Post Thanks / Like

There are many different kinds of shimmies, depending on which muscles are driving them. even the same type of shimmy can look very different on different bodies. These are a few that I teach and try to practice for variety sake and to train different muscles. With most shimmies unless you are really tensing the specific muscles it's a very subtle sensation in the muscles being used, it should be relaxed. Ok so here's my list, and I don't consider shimmies layered with other movements different shimmies, I consider them layered movements:
    Bent knee shimmy - weight is either evenly distributed over both feet or in the heels, belly button pulled to the spine, ie. a straight lower back, with the glutes softly moving to make the hips move up and down thought.

Oblique driven shimmy - same as above with the obliques helping with the up and and movement of the hips, very subtle feeling especially if you've developed obliques. This helps keeps the upper body still and relaxed. This one is harder because you can't feel the obliques unless you really focus on them.

Knee driven thigh shimmy - same posture except your weight is over the balls of your feet, your body alignment is slightly on a diagonal line from floor (feet) toward the ceiling (head), The knees go back back back back alternatively and the tighs are doing the work. this is harder on some people's knees. I find this shimmy easy to layer with movements like figure eights, circles and some poses.

I try to practice all kinds of shimmies and shimmy with everything. In practice not performance. I don't perform that much but I dance a lot and find that the more ways you can do a movement or a set of movements the more satisfying the dance is for yourself as well as your audience. Find the moves you like, make them yours.

Also wanted to mention that any shimmy can have a dynamics, speed, intensity depending on your music. It's all about the music. also even vibrations use some degree of bent knees, it's what we call soft knees, although I have seen some people to leg and body vibrations and freezes, without using knees, but then I wouldn't call those shimmies, I would call them leg/body vibrations and freezes.
    Last edited by Michelle; 08-28-2006 at 12:09 PM. Reason: successive posts

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the bounce shimmy, where your body kind of moves up and down very fast to create a up down body shimmy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default bounce shimmy

that's the one I've frequently heard called a freeze when it's done super fast, or a tremor. There's so many giggly wiggly movements, hard to keep track of them all and everyone calls them all kinds of different names. I just do what feels good and try to vary it different dynamics. I know it's hard when you're still starting out, but it's just a matter of learning to find and use your muscles together and independently. They don't always want to cooperate, but you can still have fun trying!

Post Thanks / Like

I had hear the definition " a weavy up and down movement "

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I have problems with my shimmies too, but it's getting better. Strangely I find it much easier in high heels (which most of the time I can't walk in, being a trainers/flipflops sort of girl) - it must be a balance/anatomy thing. And completely useless as I dance barefoot . Barefoot I have difficulty in keeping it controlled and the hips going up and down - I feel it descends into an undefined fast wobble more than I'd like.

High heels are definitely easier to shimmy in, because they force you to keep the right shimmying posture.
    I thought I replied somewhere on this post, but I can't find my reply anywhere
    However I disagree about high heels forcing you to keep the right shimmy posture. Lot's of woman have a wrong posture (swaybacked) because they find that easier to balance on high heels, and in my opinion that is exactly the wrong posture for shimmying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I thought I replied somewhere on this post, but I can't find my reply anywhere
    However I disagree about high heels forcing you to keep the right shimmy posture. Lot's of woman have a wrong posture (swaybacked) because they find that easier to balance on high heels, and in my opinion that is exactly the wrong posture for shimmying.
    I find high heels easy to shimmy in when I stand in proper posture, because this forces the knees to bend more and makes all hip movements larger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    It's right, when I started to practice in ballroom shoes (5 cm heel) I noticed that my hip work, not just shimmies are much better than before. I prefer practicing barefoot but when I'm in heels, it's easier to do the moves correctly...

Amirah
    Last edited by Amirah (Hawwa); 09-02-2006 at 04:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

just to throw this into the debate:

Last weekend I attended workshops by Yasmina of Cairo (what a goddess! but that's for a different thread!) and she taught a shimmy that was very large, quite 'loose' and bouncy, but it was all about keeping your legs as straight as possible!

Her feet were shifting around on the floor slightly with the strength of the shimmy, and it looked absolutely wonderful. I'm just having troubles emulating it. When I try to shimmy with my legs straight, my bottom instantly starts sticking out the back and I look like a duck who needs the toilet (ie, not a good look)!

Will keep trying though, anyone else seen what I'm talking about?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast