Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone please explain to me what's with all the squats????? Why squats=tribal?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the squats are just to help get used to doing level changes, such as doing some hip or shoulder moves with more deeply bent knees and some up on toes. I think a lot of different styles of bellydance do this, not just tribal. Also, strong thighs and a good sense of balance are good things if you ever want to be graceful when getting down onto the floor to do work there or getting up from it.

Squats are actually very good for your thighs and butt (if you squeeze your tush when you rise up ) and good for your core muscles since you really need to keep your abdominals engaged in order to maintain good posture. Of course, abdominals should pretty much always be engaged anyway for nice controlled movement and to help protect your lower back. Most people who have lower back problems have weak abdominal muscles.

People with Knee problems may want to avoid squats though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Phoebe for explanation! Encourages me me to concentrate on squats more!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't do squats because of knee injury and age. Have swollen knee at the moment from trynig African dance workshop at a folk festival - or is that my fault for trying to show off that I could do it!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Can't do squats because of knee injury and age. Have swollen knee at the moment from trynig African dance workshop at a folk festival - or is that my fault for trying to show off that I could do it!!!!

The workshop sounds like fun. My old teacher had us using some african shimmies in some drum choreographies and cane dances. I really find it inspiring how different dances influence one another.

I had swollen knees a few months back due to painting baseboards in my apartment and being on a hardwood floor while kneeling. I took some anti-inflammatories like Ibuprophen and used ice on mine to take the swelling down somewhat. I've been thinking of adding some supplements to my diet for joint health - I don't have any major issues right now, but maybe if I do them now I won't ever. lol.. at least that's what I'm thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    Thank you Phoebe for explanation! Encourages me me to concentrate on squats more!
    I do think they help so much, if you can do them. Just start gently, Reen - a few at a time and keep your upper body posture good with your back straight.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123