Thread: Hello, everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello, everyone

I've been lurking about the BD forum for a few days now, enjoying posts and discussions. Seems like a great group and finally I couldn't keep myself from joining in.

A little about myself - I lived in the Indianapolis area for a long time and took lessons from Faten Munger who is a wonderful dancer from Egypt and was part of her small troope. Learned Egyptian caberet and folk styles of dance and some Flamenco. We did some numbers that combined the two styles in a sort of gypsy fusion. I think I got a fairly good base of dance from her and danced in restaurants for a bit.

Then my life fell apart. I got divorced, had some health issues, and was unable to afford lessons. I got into a horrible relationship after the divorce that was both financially and emotionally draining. Finally I left that and now I'm getting back on my feet. I've lost 45 pounds since leaving all that early last fall. I've been doing weights and starting back practicing dancing.

I've been using some DVD to work out and also work on my skills. Some of Amira Mors DVD, Michelles 'Pop, Lock and Shimmy' DVD, and I just got Rachel Brice's Bellydance Arms and Posture. Also some of the NYC - East Coast Tribal tapes. Although I have primarily danced Egyptian style, I'm finding there is a lot that interests me about the tribal-gothic style and I think that learning it would add quite a bit of depth to my dance.

There is a tribal bellydance teacher in the area where I live with a troope and I'm going to check that out this next weekend. I would be thrilled to be part of a troope again. I find it so much fun to dance with others.

You know it's strange. I've been away from dance for awhile, but I've also been through some very low times in my life and now I feel like I have more to say with dance than I did before.

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad you are posting instead of just lurking. Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome !!!
    I wish joy and happiness to have a place from now on in your life !
    Enjoy reading, learning and posting in this great forum.

Maria Aya, Greece

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both! I'm really happy to find such a friendly place. I've very much enjoyed the humor here on the threads.