Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A truly captivating subject I took in uni was dance analyzes. It wasn't on oriental dance, but just very wide look into what makes a dance. This is one of the most interesting things for me - to take knowledge from modern and classical dance that I studied in uni and translate the principles to oriental dance.

And to the question, for the thing that captivates is STYLE. I love to see dancer's persona coming through the dance. And then the technical disadvantages there might be don't bother the eye.

Kaidi

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - though if the persona is girly I'm probably not enthralled. What gets me is fluidity

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Khaira View Post
    A truly captivating subject I took in uni was dance analyzes. It wasn't on oriental dance, but just very wide look into what makes a dance. This is one of the most interesting things for me - to take knowledge from modern and classical dance that I studied in uni and translate the principles to oriental dance.

And to the question, for the thing that captivates is STYLE. I love to see dancer's persona coming through the dance. And then the technical disadvantages there might be don't bother the eye.

Kaidi
    For me its the connection with the music...which is often a more elusive quality in a dancer than most people realise. It's not just about being with the music, but being inside it. A lot of people merely dance over the top of the music, like a stone skimming water. Often, it's so subtle its only when you have two dancers to compare this with....one inside the music, and one outside it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatinah View Post
    When your watching a performer what captures you??

* People who are sooo 100% technically sound
    * People who have passion even if not technically that amazing
    * People whos personality and enthusiasm and humour shine through??

I love watching passionate people sometimes those that are amazing at technique are a bit boring as if they are concentrating dead hard
    For me its a combination.
    one has to be technically sound, with their personality being projected through the interpretation of the music they are dancing to.
    this would apply to any art be it visual or performing. one must have a sense of uniqueness in addition to learning the theory or 'generic' stuff *for want of a better term*
    i think that is what separates good from great.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm a randa fan. I think she has just the right amount of personality, power, and passion. balance and creative style

Post Thanks / Like

Oh if we're naming names it's Fifi I love that almost casual relaxed manner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Art

I love to watch a Belly Dancer that dances from the heart and treats belly dancing as it should be treated- AS AN ART!

Post Thanks / Like

I was always taught that dance should be judged as a whole - the music, the costuming, the technique, the style, the musicality, charisma, all in balance. So I do tend to look at it like that, but to me the most important thing is interpretation of the music. If a dancer can become the music, I can forgive him/her everything else.

Post Thanks / Like

ya know bellydance OZ i can kinda agree with you on that one.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m a part time freelance SPORTS photographer. I love sports especially Basketball, American Football, and Track & Field. I consider myself sports fanatic or former attrite take sports photos than photographer taking sports photos. The same thing for dance photos. I’m a dancer love dance taking dance photos. When I take photos, I always focus on not only play but “emotions” in sports photos. Some players talk trash, some players always poker face, some players screaming after the big play, they chest bump each other, coaches screaming and yelling at referee, I love to see and capture these emotions.

The same thing for the dance photos. When I take dance photos, of course I focus on their whole dance, but if the dancer has great technique, but her/his face is ice cold, I do not take their photos. Because I don’t feel anything from them. I agree with Bellydance OZ for the point. However, if the same quality technique dancers on the stage, I look at dancer show the emotion, love and feeling and joy of the dance. Soul is important for not only dance but sports and any form of art.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast