Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    V.I.P. lizaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Ok who was there..who saw the King of Rai

    Oh what a showman..what a voice...er what a night!
    My ears are still ringing and i have never seen so much male dancing.As the auld man said...you could smell the testosterone

  2. #2
    V.I.P. Lydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dubai United arab emirates
    Posts
    1,748
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi Lizaj,who and where? must have been Khaled????

  3. #3
    V.I.P. Caroline_afifi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well of course I was!!!

    Fabulous except for the 100 strong Algerian youth club who jumped up and down with the flag. Everyone else followed suit and chaos loomed. It was much better after Sherif and I managed to get a seat in one of the boxes.
    From the safety of this postion it was much more enjoyable!
    What a fab night!

    Today was the Family day at the Palm house. We had the Bedouin Jerry Can Band from Sinai, a band from Hadramaut (eek spell) from Yemen and Houda Amrani from Leeds... Morocco. What a fantastic day. The place was positively booming and the atmosphere was pure magic. We had stalls, MED food etc. and about 1000 people throughout the day and about 60-70% Arab.

    There was a distict lack of familiar faces from the local dance scene (actually only saw a handful) Once a year we have a cultural festival with 'real' Arabs and live music no one would get to see or hear unless they travelled to the country of origin. It is also a unique chance to intregrate with the Arab community and one of the rare chances of the year.
    Pity and a lost opportunity for many, but their loss.

    No doubt I will see the same familiar faces I saw yesterday and today at all of the events.
    I often think that many people seperate this dance from it's culture and are happier that way.

  4. #4
    V.I.P. lizaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    Well of course I was!!!

    Fabulous except for the 100 strong Algerian youth club who jumped up and down with the flag. Everyone else followed suit and chaos loomed. It was much better after Sherif and I managed to get a seat in one of the boxes.
    From the safety of this postion it was much more enjoyable!
    What a fab night!

    Today was the Family day at the Palm house. We had the Bedouin Jerry Can Band from Sinai, a band from Hadramaut (eek spell) from Yemen and Houda Amrani from Leeds... Morocco. What a fantastic day. The place was positively booming and the atmosphere was pure magic. We had stalls, MED food etc. and about 1000 people throughout the day and about 60-70% Arab.

    There was a distict lack of familiar faces from the local dance scene (actually only saw a handful) Once a year we have a cultural festival with 'real' Arabs and live music no one would get to see or hear unless they travelled to the country of origin. It is also a unique chance to intregrate with the Arab community and one of the rare chances of the year.
    Pity and a lost opportunity for many, but their loss.

    No doubt I will see the same familiar faces I saw yesterday and today at all of the events.
    I often think that many people seperate this dance from it's culture and are happier that way.
    I am hoping to see the Bedouin Jerry Can band tomorrow as my mum is looking at me darkly for having missed so many of our regular Sundays and frankly after Khaled, I was bushed. I really am too old to go into Rock Concert mode at my age..even in a BOX..yes me too.
    Will the dance community be there to see our contribution, I wonder? Or has someone else bought those tickets!

  5. #5
    V.I.P. lizaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You know the man has a fabulous version of Imagine on one CD and I would have liked to have heard him sing that in Liverpool but hey, never mind he was incredible...oh and we had Tunisians in front of us who though they couldn't keep still were less manic than the Algerians.

  6. #6
    V.I.P. Caroline_afifi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    I am hoping to see the Bedouin Jerry Can band tomorrow as my mum is looking at me darkly for having missed so many of our regular Sundays and frankly after Khaled, I was bushed. I really am too old to go into Rock Concert mode at my age..even in a BOX..yes me too.
    Will the dance community be there to see our contribution, I wonder? Or has someone else bought those tickets!
    I think people from the dance community will be there because its a dance event and has a well known linep-up amongst the dance community. But i think there will be a lot of other people there too which is good. All dance events are currently sold out.

  7. #7
    V.I.P. Lydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dubai United arab emirates
    Posts
    1,748
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Jerry can band were amazing!!! I dragged my fella and my dad and his partner who all did not know what to expect but we was all dancing on the spot. A amazing and a fantastic day at the palm house!!!

  9. #9
    V.I.P. lizaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatinah View Post
    The Jerry can band were amazing!!! I dragged my fella and my dad and his partner who all did not know what to expect but we was all dancing on the spot. A amazing and a fantastic day at the palm house!!!
    saw then yesterday at the World Museum...brilliant weren't they!

  10. #10
    V.I.P. Caroline_afifi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Yemeni band were great too and Houda was her usual fabulous in the heat of the palm House. I love her!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •