What style is that?

Lydia

o my....i could see only the first clip but....looks like i aminahurry,wannabesexy,hurryhurryrunrunsambasamba...style lol ops sorry...but she having a great time!!!

Aisha Azar

Style

Dear Reen,
I think, that opposed to this being a style, that the dancer is sort of untrained, and that "style" is not a word that is applicable at this point in her dance life. She seems to have some talent, but appears to be undisciplined, not a professional dancer and as yet not well versed in things like integrity and fruition in movement,understanding the music she is dancing to, etc.
Regards,
A'isha

Reactions: Mya

Reen.Blom

Gosh I thought I have discovered a new shimmy! LOL

I prefer to see more controlled and fluid movement!

Thank you Lydia and Aisha for your input!

Aisha Azar

Shimmy

Gosh I thought I have discovered a new shimmy! LOL

I prefer to see more controlled and fluid movement!

Thank you Lydia and Aisha for your input!

Dear Reen,
Its just like new stars in the galaxy. You discovered it, YOU get to name it!!!!
Regards,
A

o my....i could see only the first clip but....looks like i aminahurry,wannabesexy,hurryhurryrunrunsambasamba...style lol ops sorry...but she having a great time!!!

LOL...as Aisha points out a bit untrained...too much going on..no time to be with the music. But I give her props for the courage of doing the best she could.
Yasmine

jenc

Apparently she runs athe premier BELLYdance company in Trinidad, although her bio mentinos her training in sals, flamenco etc it doesn't mention any traiing at all in BD????

Lydia

yes i agree whit the above ...i was in a ,,jolie mood,, when i saw this clip so i started to say hurry hurry and so on...i did not mean to be nasty honestly and she is trying hard... with a good teacher and a lot of ,,relaxed,, movements put in she will be much better...i tell you a secret,when i just started to perform i was dancing realy fast i mean realy FAST( i still am faster that most dancers do)but in the beginning it was realy bad and i did not understand the music enz.somebody told me after watching the show ..you are very nice dancer but slow down you look like a airplane and helicopter mix!LOL....Have a nice day everybody...

PriscillaAdum

I agree very much with A'isha. The dancer seems to be a very enthusiastic student who still has alot to learn about rhythms, timing and fusion. She's not paying attention to the music.
That said, I DO see alot of samba steps there, and I've also seen samba dancers at carnaval do that very shimmy. She has quite a tropical feel to her dancing rather than a middle eastern one and reminds me very much of "Tongolele" and other very famous latin american rumberas.

Like these:

Regards
Priscilla

Darn. I have never ONCE been able to embed a youtube video on here no matter what I do.
So, here's the link:YouTube - las rumberas

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

Apparently she runs athe premier BELLYdance company in Trinidad, although her bio mentinos her training in sals, flamenco etc it doesn't mention any traiing at all in BD????

Gosh where did you find THAT info...lol I must have missed something....

kayshier

She does run the premier belly dancing company in trinidad and tobago.
well, I myself am not sure about her training in belly dance,
but she has been teaching it.

kayshier

yes i agree whit the above ...i was in a ,,jolie mood,, when i saw this clip so i started to say hurry hurry and so on...i did not mean to be nasty honestly and she is trying hard... with a good teacher and a lot of ,,relaxed,, movements put in she will be much better...i tell you a secret,when i just started to perform i was dancing realy fast i mean realy FAST( i still am faster that most dancers do)but in the beginning it was realy bad and i did not understand the music enz.somebody told me after watching the show ..you are very nice dancer but slow down you look like a airplane and helicopter mix!LOL....Have a nice day everybody...

would you believe that she is a teacher herself?

jenc

Hi Reen
I always google anyone I am curiou about. The clip title said it was a dance company and a YouTube comment said she ran it.

Lydia

]would you believe that she is a teacher herself?[/

sure i believe that i have seen people teaching that do not have half from what this lady has....

Pirika Repun

Here is her bio from the company page

Nalini Akal is the director of the N9 Dance Co. This school teaches Egyptian Raqs Shar qui, Salsa (various styles), merengue, cha cha cha, East indian Contemporary, Hip hop, Argentinian Tango, Brazillian Samba and Flamenco. She is a trained dancer in these styles as well as a choreographer.

Nalini started at the age of 9 years old at the Caribbean School of Dance and soon involved herself in dance and acting at school being head of the latin dance society and working with the drama club. Her professional career, started with Magdalene Seon the school's latin dance instructor of the Strictly Latin Dance Company who trained her intensely for two years in latin Dance: salsa, merengue, lambada samba and flamenco. She was then trained by karina Rebelho (advanced). nalini has recently finished training for two and a half years in intensive flamenco with Marla D'Lacoste.

Nalini Akal is a member of the Trinidad Theatre Workshop (founded by Derek Walcott Nobel prize laureate) where she received excellent training from Bernard Hazel, Suzanne Hannays Abraham & Albert La Veau.

She has taken part in numerous local plays and recently worked with Derek Walcott for a year in advanced work.

Nalini also won the role as a mean girl called Nadine on West Wood Park (a regional soap opera) she has appeared in numerous advertisements for press and television.

She is an artist having taken part in 9 (group) exhibitions as well as two solo exhibitions for art galleries.

Nalini Akal and N9 Dance Co dance perform for over a hundred shows per year - they are teh premier Belly dance company in Trinidad and Tobago. She opened the N9 dance studio in 2001 and has produced over seven major shows with her company.

The name N9 means always going toward perfection because the N represents teh nth degree and 9 is the perfect number - so we are always trying to get better. The credo of the company is: The spirit of the body is the master of the body.

Aisha Azar

Quality

But then what about the quality of what is taught and what is learnt.
*makes me feel to start a new thread on the issue*

Dear Kayshier,
Unfortunately there is a lot of poor quality dance and instruction going on out there. Too many people are busy putting their egos before anything else, to pay attention to making sure they can do a good job before they advertise themselves as "The finest", the "Premiere", etc. Very few people say, "Just average", or "Below par" in their advertising, even when it is the truth!!! These people care nothing about quality. It is really not about the dance at all, but all about them. The only thing we can do is be responsible to the dance ourselves and do our best by it. By the way is EVERYONE in Trinidad beautiful, or is it just you, Mya and Nalini????
Regards,
A'isha