Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: rate a teacher

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be too subjective to be practical. I'd rather just post to the list or PM someone who worked with that specific teacher before. I like to get the whole story. Not every teacher is a good fit or fills a specific need for a student. Also, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

It takes a good deal of experience to know why a teacher is good or not. I am sure we all realise that there are many (regular) posters here who are enthusiastic beginners. Also some people measure against YouTube as newbies. Simply leaving it to registered members to post ratings would not do. Anyone want to know about teachers near me? I'll tell you if I know. PM me

Post Thanks / Like

Most useful would be youTube links... Most of thetimes you sign up for a class without SEEING your teacher dance.... and yes I am aquainted with a 'teacher' after 3 months of beginner class...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    Most useful would be youTube links... Most of thetimes you sign up for a class without SEEING your teacher dance.... and yes I am aquainted with a 'teacher' after 3 months of beginner class...

mmmm some Youtube vids frighten me!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont see how a rating your teacher thread would work because people could go on just to be mean or they could pretend to be a pupil of someone who they had a problem with just out of spite or jealousy.
    When I wanted to start dancing I looked up bellydance in Liverpool and my teacher was suggested to me by another student who dances on the wirral and another local teacher in south liverpool suggested my teacher so I was really lucky that people in the know put me in touch with the right lady for me. It could of gone oh so wrong if I had looked on my own without researching because when you type bellydance class liverpool you get something ridiculous!! I ended up lucky!

Post Thanks / Like

It is a real shame that some people don't know enough to avoid the crazies - but I still don't think there is anything to be done - afterall the majority of dancers esp new ones don't use the internet anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom
    Dear Reen and group, you have a good point, but it often happens that somebody might be an excellent performer but not such a good teacher. The opposite is possible either ofcourse.
    If you know nothing about bellydance whatsoever before starting class you might end up with the wrong person anyway because you THINK they are good. It hit me when I recently saw a clip of a teacher I really liked when I just started out 5,5 years ago, and now thought when seeing the clip "oh my...."

Still tricky. Re the rating system, I agree, it would be like youtube comments somehow. Some teachers are right for you that might not be for others and people could only rate teachers lower out of jealousy or indeed, having had problems with them. I don't think it would be such a good idea. As somebody pointed out in the beginning of this thread, I think it was Maariku, let somebody post an inquiry here and we get to share opinions. It's the most honest way and the best way of knowing wether somebody is being genuine about their comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yshka View Post
    If you know nothing about bellydance whatsoever before starting class you might end up with the wrong person anyway because you THINK they are good. It hit me when I recently saw a clip of a teacher I really liked when I just started out 5,5 years ago, and now thought when seeing the clip "oh my...."
    Yes this is true for me too. I didn't understand that one of my first teachers really wasn't a very good teacher until I had other teachers who were better. Plus as a beginner I enjoyed my classes so much, not knowing any different, I am not sure I would have cared about a rating, figuring that the raters were just being mean for some reason.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yshka View Post
    Dear Reen and group, you have a good point, but it often happens that somebody might be an excellent performer but not such a good teacher. The opposite is possible either ofcourse.

Still tricky. Re the rating system, I agree, it would be like youtube comments somehow. Some teachers are right for you that might not be for others and people could only rate teachers lower out of jealousy or indeed, having had problems with them. I don't think it would be such a good idea. As somebody pointed out in the beginning of this thread, I think it was Maariku, let somebody post an inquiry here and we get to share opinions. It's the most honest way and the best way of knowing wether somebody is being genuine about their comments.
    Yshka, I 100% agree with you, cos I had such latin dance teacher.... still better than nothing...

Post Thanks / Like

What everyone else has said - I agree a ratings system is a total can of worms. I think it's better to concentrate energy on getting teachers to keep their details up to date and (reasonably ) accurate. And maybe point people in the direction of the forums so they can ask about local teachers and get more info, via PM if appropriate.

I do like the "pick 3 words to describe your class" idea. With a carefully chosen list of words that could be really quite revealing...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast