Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: rate a teacher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zanbaka View Post

Instead of a rating system, I think it would be so incredibly contructive to have a 'stickied' forum topic with a compiled list from members of advice and questions for potential students to ask instructors. This would put responsibility in the student's court for doing their research as well as the instructors for providing the student with realistic information about their classes.

Best, ~Zanbaka
    I agree entirely! Rating systems are a minefield and at some point are always open to abuse and subjectivity.

On my website teachers page I have the following statement "Please note that I'm not a bellydancer, I just publish the info, it's up to YOU to decide who you want to study with. Click here for tips." with a link to an article I wrote on the subject (in need of updating) plus a link to another article on the subject by Afra Al Kahira.

Any attempt by me to institute a rating system for teachers would probably split the local belly dance community into factions... and lets face it, factions are always a fact of life when you're dealing with people. I've no intention of fanning the flames and starting a war.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.
    Rating of teachers would be used by people who want belittle a teacher for personal reasons.
    Teachers are rated ..by students..they go or they stay.
    They mix with other students at haflas and realise they are perhaps not getting the depth and width of tuition they should.
    They go to workshops and compare instruction.
    I am surprised that some people have the wool pulled over their eyes by some teachers and believe they are representing this art form but maybe they don't care that much. We're having fun aren't bopping around and showing our bums in burley-fusion or whatever. oooo I am so sexee and I'm having fun. They got the teacher they deserve!
    I think we maybe aught to stop thinking about our students as empty vessels- they are mostly quite capable of sussing out the crap themselves.
    I've had refugees from another teacher - the pennies dropped!Dogma ,evasion, unhelpfulness and general loopiness got them to look elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a couple of refugees. Bless 'em. However there are those who like the dogma and the crap because it means an easier ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rate a teacher

I think what should be done is to educate new students on a forum such as this one as to what qualities one should look for in a teacher. Then they would have a benchmark to compare any potential teacher out there that they might be considering. The guide might also apply to workshops a beginner student might want to consider. By the time you are an intermediate student, I think for the most part you have already figured most of this out. However, many serious newbies to bellydance might come to a forum like this one and check out an article or guide as to what to look for or expect from your teacher. They could print out a guide and then rate their teacher according to how a good teacher would teach. This would make it totally impersonal and people would be able to decide for themselves whether they want to deal with someone or not. Something like what dancingwithjuls wrote. Is your teacher on time? Is she clean? Does she have professional looking costumes? Does she have a good attitude? Is she supportive and helpful to students? Does she give productive feedback? Does she regularly drill the basics? Does she try to provide performance opportunities to students who want to perform? Does she start with a warmup and end with a cool down? Is she conscious of doing moves safely? Is she a stickler for posture and technique? Does she focus on improv or choreo? Does she teach props and zills? Is she knowledgeable about the history of dance, music theory as well as technique? Does she continue to take workshops herself? Does she perform? Etc.
    Something like this would be so helpful and I think it would have prompted me to have sought out another teacher much earlier in my beginning dance experience. I have seen many new dancers in the class I was in eventually lose their confidence and love of the dance due to the rudeness and ridicule of the teacher. Eventhough I loved the style of dance I was learning, after five years of rudeness and ridicule I decided to change teachers and move on. I made the right move eventhough technically the teacher I had did have had the technique and experience. However, she was ruining my self-esteem, confidence and my love of dancing. Although I miss the style I was learning (ATS), I am so much happier now. I am learning other styles of soloing and maybe some day will get back to ATS, but it just wasn't worth putting up with a nasty teacher. I have also seen other teachers, of whom it is all about them, they are the goddess, so again sometimes it comes down to attitude. I am paying hard earned dollars and spending much time practicing, I am looking for support and feedback and growth in my dancing. I no longer will put up with less than I should receive.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up rate a teacher?

Quote Originally Posted by Marya View Post
    ... a survey might work. Questions could be simple and direct... did teacher show up on time, how many other students... how long did class last, were there handouts... what kind of music was used, what style is taught. what is the studio like... this would help me select a teacher.
    Marya
    Amen.

Some rating/ranking formats could be terribly abused, as has been stated, but a basic questionnaire requiring brief answers might work. Said questionnaire might in itself teach us newbies some basic things to look for in an instructor, in a class format.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that a lot of the reasons why I would not recommend a particular teacher will never show up in a questionnaire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cajenne View Post
    Amen.

Some rating/ranking formats could be terribly abused, as has been stated, but a basic questionnaire requiring brief answers might work. Said questionnaire might in itself teach us newbies some basic things to look for in an instructor, in a class format.
    Here's the link to that article I mentioned back in early December.
    Selecting a dance teacher.

It's not very detailed because around the area it was written for (Lincolnshire, UK) the choices are somewhat limited. If you're in a major city you may be spoiled for choice.

If any of our experts here would like to write a more comprehensive article I'd be happy to publish it!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456