rate a teacher

Eve

We have a directory?:cool:

ratings, bad idea. Far too easy for people to get their buddies to join in and up their reputation, too easy for politics to overspill on the forum.

jenc

I was thinking more that Salome, or a moderator could email a request to update, perhaps on an annual basis

Salome

Administrator
We do ask for updates, sometimes it occurs once a year, but often it's twice. When we are doing a rebuild etc.

Salome

Administrator
Back in the day, the entire OrientalDancer.net portal was included in the forum navigation... but we changed it... Now you can find links to our other sites at the very bottom of every forum page. "Belly Dance Classes" for the directory.

Shahravar

hmm

I don't know if I consider most(not all) dance students capable of having an educated opinion on the subject. How many instructors had they taken from. How well do they(the student) know the course material or even the breakdown of muscle groups, warm ups and cool downs, how much have they researched the cultural topics relevant..Hmm?

da Sage

I don't know if I consider most(not all) dance students capable of having an educated opinion on the subject. How many instructors had they taken from. How well do they(the student) know the course material or even the breakdown of muscle groups, warm ups and cool downs, how much have they researched the cultural topics relevant..Hmm?
Yep...if I see another newbie dancer whining about terminology again, it'll be too soon...

My new teacher doesn't know the right word for this move! My old teacher didn't know the right word for this move! She must be a bad teacher!

Wah wah blame. Would they expect a ballet teacher to know so much about the history of the dance, or to translate songs in French? To get all the "proper" credentials and knowledge base a "good" teacher needs is equivalent to a bachelors and a masters in bellydance (if not a doctorate or post-doc).

I'm all for seeking out experienced teachers. But I don't think bellydance is rocket science, either - it's not like the stage will explode if a teacher's knowledge base is not all-encompassing.

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Ratings, no. I'm with deSage on pretty much everything she said.

I've been at workshops with Hadia where some people thought she was just the best teacher ever and others said she sucked.

I've been at workshops with Morocco where some people thought she was just the best teacher ever and others said she sucked.

I've been at workshops with Suhaila where some people thought she was just the best teacher ever and others said she sucked.

I've been at workshops with Shareen el Safy where some people thought she was just the best teacher ever and others said she sucked.

Sorry -- but new students don't know enough to know what they don't know. My classes are the "hard" classes in our group because I try to challenge people's abilities. Have I lost students that way? Yes. But that's who I am as a teacher. My partner does not give individual correction in her classes, and the classes go fairly slowly. Has she also lost students because of it? Yes. But you can't please everybody, and when you TRY THAT you please nobody.

For the first 6-8 months I HATED the ballet director that took over our company in 1989. HATED him!!! But two years later I grew to realize that he was the BEST teacher I probably ever had in my life.

PLUS -- too many students gripe that "teacher never told me I had to do this" when I HEARD the teacher say that, but the student was too busy talking to her friend to listen. No to ratings.

nightdancer

I wonder if there is a way to put a positive spin on the concept. I know that we have a "Great teacher" thread in here somewhere. Perhaps if the forum just lists the instructor, and feedback can be left. So for example-

Jane A Bellydancer "Insert cool name"
1890 A Ave
Baltimore, MD 23456
(800) 867-5309
Website.com

Specializes in tribal, ghwazi and soapboxing on the history of it all.

Feedback on this instructor.
"Jane is a fabulous tribal instructor. She may not be a cabaret dancer, but can still instruct in the proper use (and not use) of bindi's. Energetic warmups, and its best to have some working knowledge of ATS before going. Also, usually does not show up on time."

Whoever is modding the section is going to be bright enough to figure out if a post is made just to be hateful, or if the person has a point, negative though it might be. Also, having a registration process to post teacher feedback will drastically cut down on the people posting just to be hateful.

Robynne

da Sage

I think online directories are exceedingly valuable for helping students and teachers find each other.

But as for the rating system? Dance happens in real space...not cyberspace. There is no substitute for actually getting to know people in the community, getting to know their likes and dislikes enough to evaluate the information they give you, and trying out a few classes yourself with the local teachers.

I see so many brand-new students (and would-be) students agitated about finding the "best" teacher, when they should just jump in and see what works for them.

Jane

I think it would be too subjective to be practical. I'd rather just post to the list or PM someone who worked with that specific teacher before. I like to get the whole story. Not every teacher is a good fit or fills a specific need for a student. Also, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

jenc

It takes a good deal of experience to know why a teacher is good or not. I am sure we all realise that there are many (regular) posters here who are enthusiastic beginners. Also some people measure against YouTube as newbies. Simply leaving it to registered members to post ratings would not do. Anyone want to know about teachers near me? I'll tell you if I know. PM me

Reen.Blom

Most useful would be youTube links... Most of thetimes you sign up for a class without SEEING your teacher dance.... and yes I am aquainted with a 'teacher' after 3 months of beginner class...

lizaj

Most useful would be youTube links... Most of thetimes you sign up for a class without SEEING your teacher dance.... and yes I am aquainted with a 'teacher' after 3 months of beginner class...

mmmm some Youtube vids frighten me!:lol:

fatinah

I dont see how a rating your teacher thread would work because people could go on just to be mean or they could pretend to be a pupil of someone who they had a problem with just out of spite or jealousy.
When I wanted to start dancing I looked up bellydance in Liverpool and my teacher was suggested to me by another student who dances on the wirral and another local teacher in south liverpool suggested my teacher so I was really lucky that people in the know put me in touch with the right lady for me. It could of gone oh so wrong if I had looked on my own without researching because when you type bellydance class liverpool you get something ridiculous!! I ended up lucky!

jenc

It is a real shame that some people don't know enough to avoid the crazies - but I still don't think there is anything to be done - afterall the majority of dancers esp new ones don't use the internet anyway

Yshka

Reen.Blom said:

Dear Reen and group, you have a good point, but it often happens that somebody might be an excellent performer but not such a good teacher. The opposite is possible either ofcourse.
If you know nothing about bellydance whatsoever before starting class you might end up with the wrong person anyway because you THINK they are good. It hit me when I recently saw a clip of a teacher I really liked when I just started out 5,5 years ago, and now thought when seeing the clip "oh my....:shok:"

Still tricky. Re the rating system, I agree, it would be like youtube comments somehow. Some teachers are right for you that might not be for others and people could only rate teachers lower out of jealousy or indeed, having had problems with them. I don't think it would be such a good idea. As somebody pointed out in the beginning of this thread, I think it was Maariku, let somebody post an inquiry here and we get to share opinions. It's the most honest way and the best way of knowing wether somebody is being genuine about their comments.

Marya

If you know nothing about bellydance whatsoever before starting class you might end up with the wrong person anyway because you THINK they are good. It hit me when I recently saw a clip of a teacher I really liked when I just started out 5,5 years ago, and now thought when seeing the clip "oh my....:shok:"

Yes this is true for me too. I didn't understand that one of my first teachers really wasn't a very good teacher until I had other teachers who were better. Plus as a beginner I enjoyed my classes so much, not knowing any different, I am not sure I would have cared about a rating, figuring that the raters were just being mean for some reason.

Marya

Reen.Blom

Dear Reen and group, you have a good point, but it often happens that somebody might be an excellent performer but not such a good teacher. The opposite is possible either ofcourse.

Still tricky. Re the rating system, I agree, it would be like youtube comments somehow. Some teachers are right for you that might not be for others and people could only rate teachers lower out of jealousy or indeed, having had problems with them. I don't think it would be such a good idea. As somebody pointed out in the beginning of this thread, I think it was Maariku, let somebody post an inquiry here and we get to share opinions. It's the most honest way and the best way of knowing wether somebody is being genuine about their comments.

Yshka, I 100% agree with you, cos I had such latin dance teacher.... still better than nothing...:confused:

Aniseteph

What everyone else has said - I agree a ratings system is a total can of worms. I think it's better to concentrate energy on getting teachers to keep their details up to date and (reasonably :rolleyes:) accurate. And maybe point people in the direction of the forums so they can ask about local teachers and get more info, via PM if appropriate. ;)

I do like the "pick 3 words to describe your class" idea. With a carefully chosen list of words that could be really quite revealing... :cool: