Biz of Bellydance Cateogory?

Samira_dncr

I am on several forums and networking sites, and one of my favorite discussion topics is the business side of bellydancing. Is there any possible way a Business of Bellydance category could be created? I am sure there are a number of amazing people in this forum that would have valuable insights into being a professional dancer, vendor, or event organizer.

Pretty please???

kayshier

I agree such a section on the forum might be very insightful.
especially in terms of discussions on how to reconcile business sense without compromising the integrity of what is being marketed.

Shahravar

Group it

Good Idea!
It seems there is plenty of space in the groups:) it might be a draw away from the forums though.

Samira_dncr

Good Idea!
It seems there is plenty of space in the groups:) it might be a draw away from the forums though.

I'm not sure why you would think it would detract from the forums if it was it's own category. I'm also concerned that the groups are not active enough to warrant decent discussion there.

It just seems that there is bound to be a number of people on this list who perform professionally, are event promoters, or are vendors. It would just be nice to have a place to discuss more of the "business" aspects of dance.

Shahravar

yes

Yes I would agree with you dancers like to keep up on the biz of Belly Dance.

and side note:I had a lot of fun at the Intensive last year!

Shanazel

I tried to get a thread started on the business end of costume making a couple of years ago and ended up writing to myself. :D

I teach through the parks and recreation center where I live so I don't have to deal with a lot of things private teachers do. What do you like best about the business and what do you like least?

Samira_dncr

I tried to get a thread started on the business end of costume making a couple of years ago and ended up writing to myself. :D

I teach through the parks and recreation center where I live so I don't have to deal with a lot of things private teachers do. What do you like best about the business and what do you like least?

Well, it seems that costume making would be a much more narrow focus, although I bet you have a lot of interesting thoughts about that. Do you use ebay? I have heard a lot of complaints about the new policies.

Personally, I've been in the "business" side of bellydance as a performer and now as a organizer for nearly 15 years. But I always feel like there are so many others out there I can learn from. I enjoy bringing people together and creating space to make the "magic" happen.

I don't always like how (forgive me for this) "cheap" the bellydance world can be. I have a long history in the world of ballroom dance as well. I ran a franchised dance studio for 7+ years. And it astounds me how little bellydancers invest in their art comparatively. *please don't flame me for that*...it's just a comparison, and I'm a bellydancer too.

Shahravar

hi

You ran the Athur murray dance studio in Vegas right? I don't know why I remember that, that was years ago...

Salome

Administrator
When we think about making additions or changes around here, we usually put it out for the community to weigh in on. So, I'll put up a poll and let's see what happens :)

Last edited:

Samira_dncr

You ran the Athur murray dance studio in Vegas right? I don't know why I remember that, that was years ago...

LOL. Yup. That's me.

And Salome, thank you for the consideration. You all can kick me out if I'm stepping on toes...LOL. I just would love to meet other "business" minded folks to learn from. I'll even moderate.