Post Thanks / Like

Default Turkish style DVD with Artemis

Has anyone here seen the Turkish Style Belly Dance with Artemis DVD, and is it aimed for beginners or...? Opinions?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I would like to know this too. I have been so tempted to get this DVD for the past few months but never got round to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have it and really like it. I"m going by memory because my copy is at work and i'm not there. Its sort of a beginner Turkish but she expects you to know moves. What I remember is that it is chaptered into things like rhythm, arm and hand movements, travelling steps, basic movements, combinations for slow and fast music. I know there are other chapters. You get enough material to be able to dance to Turkish music and understand how to dance to it. I think its well worth having for one's library. I won't be back to work for about 3 weeks so can't give an indepth till then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teela View Post
    I have it and really like it. I"m going by memory because my copy is at work and i'm not there. Its sort of a beginner Turkish but she expects you to know moves. What I remember is that it is chaptered into things like rhythm, arm and hand movements, travelling steps, basic movements, combinations for slow and fast music. I know there are other chapters. You get enough material to be able to dance to Turkish music and understand how to dance to it. I think its well worth having for one's library. I won't be back to work for about 3 weeks so can't give an indepth till then.
    I have a copy and Artemis did a wonderful job explaining Turkish Bellydance.
    She also explains that the body punches and cuts..have no specific names but can be seen in some Romany dances. She specifically states that she has named some of these moves...i.e. they are not authentic names. She also shows clips(within the body of the video) of other Turkish-style dancers in America..Eva Cernik, Laurel Victoria Gray, in essence sharing the credit with them. She also shows a clip of Sahra Kent to display the differences between Turkish and Egyptian styles.

I had the fortune of meeting her and even visiting her hotel room(she was in a room next to mine) last November, during a seminar. Not to be missed!!!!
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

I have it and I really like it. Not really for a beginner. She assumes you know where your parts are and doesn't break things down to extremes. I only wish she had more info on the different weight changes. They are so very different from Egyptian. I hope she makes a part two!

Post Thanks / Like

Jane
    according to her website, she is making a series called Totally Turkish which appears to be going into more detail. I'm checking the site every so often because when the series is released, I'm planning on buying it. I think the current DVD is a good introduction.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a copy on loan from another dancer...It's not for beginners, she does show some choreography and breaks down some technique, but not in-depth enough for a newcomer to the dance.
    At the same token, a proficent dancer may not find it interesting enough to view more than once.
    I found it very informative to watch, I loved the clips of other dancers and her performance section!
    Gia

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feeback everyone. I'm not an expert at Turkish style by any means but I have had enough training that I would like to be challenged a bit and was not sure what level the dvd was aimed at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teela View Post
    Jane
    according to her website, she is making a series called Totally Turkish which appears to be going into more detail. I'm checking the site every so often because when the series is released, I'm planning on buying it. I think the current DVD is a good introduction.
    When they come out- I'm buying them too! Thanks for the heads up