Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Annoying waiters: your opinion please!

Ok, have 3 hours to gage your opinions. Here's the scenario:

My friend and I share a Friday performance at a local (mediterranean/Turkish) restaurant. About 2 months ago a new waiter started. After my performance he came up and started chatting, and said that next week I should invite him to dance. Why not, thought I, it goes almost like routine usually - you invite the waiter to dance, he does a shoulder shimmy or two and then feigns embarrassment and runs off. The customers normally love it.

Except that next week, as soon as my music starts, he whips off his shirt, ties on a hipscarf and follows me around gettting in my way, doing some strange monkey dance, interspersed with crotch gyrating, but taking himself very seriously. He's continually blocking my path and for my first dance he was lucky not to have got in the way of my cane! The customers didn't know where to look or what was going on.

He now considers himself part of the act! He even dared complain about the music I was bringing in! I was so flabberghasted I didn't know what to say! he's driving my partner up the wall on her weeks too, and we want him to stop. Trouble is the waiter doesn't seem to get our subtle hints (ie, "can you please stop?") and owner of the restaurant is a sleazy jerk and I'm not inclined to ask favours of him. I show up, dance, get paid and leave.

So, war it is! the plan of attack for tonight is as follows: I am departing from the regular favourites (a lot of Egyptian pop with the occasional oriental) in favour of something he will hate, it's a full set of Natacha Atlas's darker, moodier songs ("I put a spell on you" to name one) with lots of changes that you have to know are there or you'll trip all over the song. If that's not enough, when he dances, I will stop instantly with my arms crossed and an expression of "well come on and DANCE then, I'm waiting!" and if he still continues, I'll even pull up a seat and wait for him to finish.

Other things we thought of were lots of raks asaya & sword dancing. Maybe we could accidentally skewer him

Anything else you can think of to get him to take the hint? And how do you rate my chances of success?!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that sounds like a frustrating experience. Generally I've found that people who are out of control like that and don't recognize boundaries of acceptable behavior don't respond to hints, even blatent ones. But if your plan does work tonight, what about next week?

If he didn't respect your "can you please stop" I'd get the boss involved. If the boss is sleazy and you feel he doesn't respect you enough to intercede, pitch the situation to him about how it will affect his bottom line. Like the patrons are uncomfortable with the waiter's outbursts and will stop coming here. I guarentee the boss respects money.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Salome, hadn't thought as far ahead as next week yet! Trouble is that sleazy owner is also prone to forgetting the boundaries of acceptable behaviour when it suits him... Still, am sure the terrified looks of the customers may be enough to persuade him!

And if that doesn't work, THEN can I skewer him?!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

make a joke out of him....and as you said, wait while he dances, annoy him with the music, role your eyes so the audience can see your fustration, have a quiet word with the audience who'll then complain themselves to the boss, and if any of that doesn't work, get your sword and slice him up !! xx

Post Thanks / Like

Kebab him!

Post Thanks / Like

Well if your plan "A" doesn't work perhaps you can play some dirty pool so to speak. On a night or nights you dance seed your audience with friends and family members, perferably ones he doesn't know that know you, who can go up and complain about the waiter interfereing with their enjoyment of your dancing. Salome's right in that odds are the boss will be more concerned about the bottom line if he gets the impression that he's going to loose buiness over the waiter's antics.
    Fingers crossed no matter what you end up having to do that it all works out and the waiter gives up!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies - I love the idea of "framing" him, hahahaha (evil laugh)! Actually there are some regulars I know who stop by from time to time, if I'm lucky...

Glad I have your support on the violent option too. I so do want to skewer him!

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm on my way out in a short while.

It's my poor audience I feel for. I mean the restaurant is in a very "leafy suburb" of middle-class middle England Surrey. Half of them nearly choke on their kofte when a sequin clad female enters the room, looking around the room nervously trying desperately to avoid looking at me, but when the male staff start stripping off their clothes and start humping the air, i'm worried some of them aren't going to survive the shock (the belly dancer included)...

*sigh* I feel like I'm in one of those cheap nasty holiday resorts!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Heyas,

If I were you I'd stamp on his foot repeatedly. But maybe as a last resort, cause it can hurt sometimes.

Otherwise I'd get him told off or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Fun as shish-kebab-ing him might be...you might also 'uninvite' him from the dance floor. Why be subtle? Before you night begins, tell him that his 'participation' in your show is unprofessional and is making your work to entertain the audience difficult, if not impossible and you want him to steer clear.
    If he refuses, tell your boss that this has gotten out of hand and ask him to speak to his waiter...
    Gia

Post Thanks / Like

oh....my....he took off his shirt? Isnt that a health code violation or something? Im dying to know how this story ends. Ive never had a bad waiter experience before....:eek:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast