Male costuming discussion

Demelza

Ok, I'm gonna ask a question. I haven't been reading all the posts on this thread so I'm probably far behind...but I really want to know something...this question is not set out to offend anybody, and I appologise in advance if it does, :eek: ...but please...just a question.....

Why do 'Male Belly Dancers' feel so compelled to wear such femenin costumes ? Surely this only hinders the 'average public's' acceptance of 'MALE' belly dancing as an art form ??? Can it not be done in more 'masculine' attire ? I mean why are you wearing skirts not trousers ? I know the scottish wear kilts but they keep their masculitiy about them, and the arabs wear galabayas but they do the same..... :eek:

Last edited:

Moon

Zorba, are you sure you were the one upsetting people? Or was it lady next to you? Maybe I'm not looking carefully enough, but it looks to me like her white underwear is showing above her skirt?

Sharif

Male belly dance clothing

No, Zorba is not wearing a skirt in any of these pictures, and he never does as a belly dancer (he does in Greek folkloric dance, though, as is appropriate). They are simply harem pants.

You cannot judge clothing of male belly dancers from one example. Zorba is pushing some limits in his attire, and more power to him for doing that! Other dancers choose different ways of dressing up for a performance. It also depends on the physique of the male dancer what he can get away with.

I think attire is only a small factor in the acceptance of male belly dance. The idea of simply watching a guy move as an artform is a much bigger hurdle in our macho culture. I consider myself pretty open-minded, but I had to get used to it too.

Aniseteph

See what you mean Moon! But I think it's a white hipscarf.

But I just posted on another thread about low slung belts, and with that in mind - How do you keep your hipscarves on, guys? Tied ones usually tend to slip off on me (even with safety pins), and I've got hips.

Demelza

I'm so sorry I thought it was a skirt ...... (are you suuuurrre ??!!)....ok so why the crop-top ? I think that just as much 'movment' and 'motion' can be seen wearing a 'hugging' top. Surely that would be better for a man ??? :p
again...don't mean to ruffle your feathers !! - What eva floats your boat !! just wondered xx;)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I've had this discussion many times...

To try to keep the verbage down on my part, and accelerate the understanding of *MY* *PERSONAL* philosophies on the subject, go read these two articles on my site:

http://www.doubleveil.net/feminine.htm

and

http://www.doubleveil.net/grant.htm

Then you'll understand why I say "feminine-schmeminine; masculine-smasculine!".

I wear skirts all the time, clothing has no gender UNLESS it addresses female anatomy - like a bra. I just don't wear skirts performing belly dancing as I feel it would warp the audience's minds too much. I have worn skirts in class as needed for skirtwork, which is a TON of fun. In fact, once in a Gypsy style workshop, the instructor called me to the head of the class to help her demonstrate a "two dancer skirtwork routine". As it turned out, I was the best in the class doing her kind of skirtwork!

I'm only wearing a "string skirt" in the upper picture.

The woman in the picture is my wife - and she's wearing a white hip scarf - no underwear accidents here!

As for holding stuff up, fortunately, I actually *DO* have a very slight hip flare, so I wedge things good and tight against my hip bones. Works well. Many guys aren't so lucky.

As a reference point, my every day attire shot at work:

And my wife and myself on formal nite at last year's ANAS cruise:

Shanazel

Well, I prefer skirts to trousers myself, unless the trousers in question are blue jeans, so I reckon there's no reason why you shouldn't prefer them, too, Zorba. Your evening attire is very elegant and exotic, and you carry it off well.

(I'd have used the Americanism "pants" instead of trousers, but a friend overseas informed me that the word pants refers to undergarments in some countries, and this is an international group. But I digress.)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Well, I prefer skirts to trousers myself, unless the trousers in question are blue jeans, so I reckon there's no reason why you shouldn't prefer them, too, Zorba. Your evening attire is very elegant and exotic, and you carry it off well.
Thanx for your kind words - but this begs a question. I consider blue jeans to be the most uncomfortable garment this side of a necktie! I hate wearing the darn things, although their ruggedness makes them a necessary evil at times. Why do you like them?

Dev

Thanx for your kind words - but this begs a question. I consider blue jeans to be the most uncomfortable garment this side of a necktie! I hate wearing the darn things, although their ruggedness makes them a necessary evil at times. Why do you like them?

Very true, that denim items can be very unpleasant at times, especially when you itch through that hard fabric, no effect at all,:mad:
Zobra i think a skirt looks very good on men,a lot of fashion designers are pushing hard to make more men wear skirts in everyday life, cant wait to see it happen
here is a link men in skirts.....
http://www.21stcenturykilts.com/pastpics.htm

and a pic of vin diesel in skirt,

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Zorba, do u wear make-up just when u r on stage or is that an every-day ting ?

Demelza xxx

For the most part, just for performances. I'm entirely too much a classic lazy male to do it every day! I have enough with having to spend 10-15 minutes with my hair every morning; then put on my earrings, contacts, pendant, clothes, etc., blah, blah.

I will wear light makeup if I want to dress up - like the formal nite picture or my daughter's wedding. Coverup/foundation, kohl, and light eyeshadow. I think everyone can look better with a bit of makeup.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Zobra i think a skirt looks very good on men,a lot of fashion designers are pushing hard to make more men wear skirts in everyday life, cant wait to see it happen
here is a link men in skirts.....
http://www.21stcenturykilts.com/pastpics.htm

and a pic of vin diesel in skirt,
Yea, there's a whole pile of men's skirt suppliers who have appeared in the last 5 years or so. Most of them are a repackaged Scottish kilt which you either like that look, or you don't!

There was a big show at the V&A museum in London, and again at the Met in New York on the subject, both historical and recent.

I don't know who "Vin Diesel" is, but he looks pretty good in that skirt. A bit too short for me, but still pretty good!

There's multiple message boards on the subject - I belong to a couple.

Demelza

out of those pictures the I think first one is alright because it's got the 'sporun' so it keeps the look of the kilt:cool: . All of the rest just look wrong to me. Wrong wrong wrong :mad: :mad: !! And as for that Van Deisel :rolleyes: ! well I'll never look at him in the same light again ! I didn't even like it when Beckam wore one a few years ago, and everyone else was going crazy about it !

Demelza xxx

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
If I could just find a "little black dress" and shoes to match in my size...:(
I know you posted this in jest, but a serious answer is that I've yet to see a dress that looks good on the male form. A Galabeya or similar robe-type "thing" is about it.

Jamil

i think costuming is a matter of taste and style.

personally i enjoy sticking to the traditional alladin styled costumes. not only r they fun and simple, but i know that they will be taken to well by my audiences.
You have to be careful what you wear infront of certian audiences. if i was to rock up to one of my weekly gigs or a wedding one day wearing say a long shirt or a galabieh with a hip scarf arond my waist, i assure you it would not be met with acceptance. and god forbid i wore makeup onstage? haha
that would be the end of may career!

but i dun begrudge neone that does that, i am just saying i interpret my audience well. and although some may argue 'well you shouldnt dress to impress your audience' my swift reply back to them is that they are so wrong. my audience is paying me to entertain them in what is expected of a male dancer, not a derivative of a MBD. also, i enjoy the costumes that i wear. they are not overly effeminate and are tastefully designed.
overly effemiante costumes? leave them for the females. and overly masculine costumes... leave them for the males.
not an arguement about gender, just presentation. :D