Just starting out

SelmaSteel

First of all hello my name is Selma and this is my first time posting on this site

I have always loved watching belly dancing and have decided I am going to take a class in the fall.

I am wanting to make a costume but don't know what would be best for my body shape. I have an hour glass figure with a bit of a tummy... I am starting with a hip scarf and planing on doing all my own beading so it will take a while.

Any suggestions on what style would avoid making my hips look too big would be apreciated.

Also if anyone has suggestions on good learn at home DVDs that i could start before the class begines I would love to know what ones are worth the money

I look forward to learning the beautiful form of dance and getting to know some of you along the way

Safran

Welcome on board, Selma!

I am useless when it comes to costuming advice, however I can offer different kind, namely to wait a bit with getting yourself costumes and DVDs. I understand the impatience - to me too the autumn and beginning of classes is too far away ;) But trust me, once you start the class and start figuring out a thing or two about the dance, your costume and DVD choices will be much better. But making your own hip scarf is a great idea (and a major achievement, at least from my point of view! :lol:

Anyways, welcome!

Lotus Dancer

Welcome Selma,
My advice is too 'Show them there Hips Lady!!' Don't try to hide them, use them!!
Women of all shapes and sizes bellydance and they are all beautiful.
The great thing about this dance is over time, you gradually begin to accept those areas of your body, you weren't happy with.
It's almost a self acceptance and a stage of growth.
(my area was my belly, after 11 years of dancing, now I dance without a second thought).
Some of my students are beautiful volumptuos women, and when they dance, WOW do they dance
They are Just Beautiful!!!
Smiles to you from Down Under
Lotus Dancer

Last edited:

ShiroiOji

Hey Selma, welcome to the forum! Nice to meet other newbies, since I've only been taking classes for a few weeks now, though I am having a BLAST with it! ^_^

As for costuming, I can't really help you other than to tell you to read up on the UBDC thread, since it does at least tell you what NOT to do! ^_~

jenc

When I started I bought all sorts of things. Showed up in class in something different evvery week. now I tend to go in tracks and a hip scarf without coins.

gisela

Super Moderator
Welcome Selma!
I agree with those who said take it easy and wait a while with getting costumes.
My advice is to take all opportunities to try costumes at bazaars or if someone is selling at haflas or recitals. Even if you don't want to buy you will get an idea on what style and colours suit you and you could then start to sketch on your own cossie.
gisela

Maria_Aya

Welcome in this wonderfull forum !!!
Enjoy reading, posting and having fun !!

Maria Aya, Athens, Greece :D