meaning of salamat?

masrawy

mashy ya amr

Mashy !!! they may be... but I make the BEST kosari lol

:)

I am sure you do :clap: ... for your info I did not eat regular "Cairo kosari"until I was 18 my mother is from Damita (in the Delta) but Originally Turkish with a little creek blood into the mix too. mashy ya amr~Mahmoud

maylynn

In my native language, Filipino, "salamat" means thank you. Based on what I remember, it originated from the numerous Malay people who first came to our country, then was adapted by our Muslim brothers and then became part of our national language. The Malays reportedly got it from the Arabic language. The meaning of salamat has probably evolved or got twisted in my country, the Philippines, hehe.

It must have been derived from the famous Arabic/Muslim greeting or goodbye and take care - "Salaam alai kum".

Hi Maylynn, fellow Filipina here from Cebu City! :)

Kumusta and mabuhay Angela!

Aisha Azar

Salamat

Dear Gang,
I finally remembered last night to ask my friend about Salamat. She said yes, it is traditional to say "Salamat" in Saudi Arabia when someone coughs. The non-literal meaning, the cultural meaning is "I hope you feel better soon". She said if it is the Salamat song she thinks it is, then they say that in the song because it is about going to visit a sick friend and wishing them to get better soon. ( Now we see why it is important to understand the lyrics!!)
Regards,
A'isha