Finding out about workshops with other teachers?

gwinity

Hi,

(It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I've still been lurking around).

I was wondering how you manage to find out about workshops and classes with teachers other than your current/main teacher?

My teacher is encouraging me to expand my horizons and take classes with others, but aside from asking her who she recommends, I have no idea how to find out about workshops etc put on by local (and not so local) dancers.

I subscribe to the one major BD magazine in Australia (that I know of), and unfortunately the focus for workshop announcements etc is primarily on the other side of the country -there's often very little information there for Melbourne classes.

Melbourne dancers: do you have any 'feelers' out there I can take advantage of? Good teachers you know of, or more local mags to subscribe to?

Many thanks in advance

da Sage

Hi,

(It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I've still been lurking around).

I was wondering how you manage to find out about workshops and classes with teachers other than your current/main teacher?

My teacher is encouraging me to expand my horizons and take classes with others, but aside from asking her who she recommends, I have no idea how to find out about workshops etc put on by local (and not so local) dancers.

I subscribe to the one major BD magazine in Australia (that I know of), and unfortunately the focus for workshop announcements etc is primarily on the other side of the country -there's often very little information there for Melbourne classes.

Melbourne dancers: do you have any 'feelers' out there I can take advantage of? Good teachers you know of, or more local mags to subscribe to?

Many thanks in advance

Why not just ask your teacher what workshops and teachers she recommends, and why?

(not to discourage you from networking, but if your teacher is encouraging you to explore, hopefully she has some ideas to get you started)

gwinity

I didn't ask her last night because it was one of the last things she said to me before getting in the car (and my mind was preoccupied with other things). I will definitely ask her next week, but in the meantime I was just wondering if there were other ways to network and find out this (or additional) information. :)

jenc

AND - some of don't have teachers OR have teachers that never tell you anything. I once had a teacher who barely mentionned an event she was holding herself!!!!!

Eve

I'll have some teachers pass info over to me and in turn I pass it over to my class.

wiggle.org used to be a great resource but seem to get updated infrequently of late. So it means trying to think of all the teachers I know and checking their websites to see if anything is coming up and again I'll pass what I find over to the class. We also have a little yahoo group to keep informed so I'll post links for them to check out.

there is also tribe.net but there seems to be more tribal w/s posted than ED, of course not everyone is on tribe.

lizaj

I'll have some teachers pass info over to me and in turn I pass it over to my class.

wiggle.org used to be a great resource but seem to get updated infrequently of late. So it means trying to think of all the teachers I know and checking their websites to see if anything is coming up and again I'll pass what I find over to the class. We also have a little yahoo group to keep informed so I'll post links for them to check out.

there is also tribe.net but there seems to be more tribal w/s posted than ED, of course not everyone is on tribe.

wiggle has just been updated.

It never ceases to amaze and anger me that when we hold a local halfa and chat to students from another class about events such as Joy and LAAF etc, they look blank..teacher hasn't told them about these events. We held local workshops and they knew nothing either. A student has to sneak info. into the changing rooms as nothing ever gets spoken about in the classroom.

da Sage

I didn't ask her last night because it was one of the last things she said to me before getting in the car (and my mind was preoccupied with other things). I will definitely ask her next week, but in the meantime I was just wondering if there were other ways to network and find out this (or additional) information. :)

Check out Meetup, tribe, and Bhuz, also.

I think you'll find that attending other classes is one of the best ways to network (and I'm fully aware of the irony in that statement;)).

gisela

Super Moderator
You could search for and collect all the local teachers web page addresses and check them once in awhile. Most teachers announce workshops on at least their own homepage if there isn't anything more central for the whole bd community.

jenc

You could search for and collect all the local teachers web page addresses and check them once in awhile. Most teachers announce workshops on at least their own homepage if there isn't anything more central for the whole bd community.

Yes but that would mean knowing who they are!!! I know who to look for in my town - but not in the radius I would be prepared to travel to for workshops

gisela

Super Moderator
I go to almost every event and performance I find out about. Start with those announced by your own teacher if it's difficult to find anything else. (at least shows should be annonced in that magazine of yours?) Both because it's fun but also to check out if I see someone interesting, either a teacher that has something special or a group of students I think are good. Based on that I search for the teacher online, find out about regular classes and try them out. I have taken half-a-year of classes with at least five different teachers to see which one is for me.

Jane

I subscribe to middleeasterndance@yahoogroups.com most are for the U.S.A., but there are a few others listed. Shira's site also lists many dance teachers around the world. Some dance magazines also list instructors and have ads for upcoming workshops. I've also gone to a few workshops and gotten put on mailing lists. Word of mouth is also good!

SidraK

Do you have a local dance association? Most local instructors here advertise workshops through the association's website and by word of mouth around town.

Last edited: