Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default buzz words and dancers

Hey all,

I'm revamping an article and wanted to see if I could involve you all. If you could use, let's say up to 10 words, to describe the following styles what would they be? And what dancers do you think define each style?

Egyptian Oriental
    Lebanese Oriental
    Turkish Oriental
    American Oriental
    ATS
    Tribal Fusion

Post Thanks / Like

Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    Hey all,

I'm revamping an article and wanted to see if I could involve you all. If you could use, let's say up to 10 words, to describe the following styles what would they be? And what dancers do you think define each style?

Sounds like an interesting article. now to put my thinking cap on ...

Egyptian Oriental - solo, elegant, smooth, internalised movement, controled, flows, graceful, full of emotion.
    Lebanese Oriental - high heels, on the beat. (my knowledge is serious lacking here )
    Turkish Oriental - flamboyant, floorwork, romany havasi (influence), zils, pelvic movement, athletic, engergetic, Karsilama rhythm
    American Oriental - props, theatrical, glitzy, veil, visual, fantasy,
    ATS - communual, interactive, group performance, improvisational, zills, body art, ethnic-style, N.African/Central Asian/Romany influences.
    Tribal Fusion - snake-like, world dance influences, electronic, atmospheric, dark, moody, locks & pops, paced.

Egyptian Oriental - Suheir Zaki, Fifi Abdou, Dina, Randa, Aida Nour, Raquia Hassan, Naima Akef, Mona Said etc.
    Lebanese Oriental - Nadia Gamal
    Turkish Oriental - Elçin, Sema Yildiz, Eva Cernik, Nesrin Tokapi, Birgül Beray,
    American Oriental - Aziza, Ansuya, Suhaila Salimpour, Suzanna del vecchio
    ATS - Carolena Nerricco (sp) FCBD, Gypsy Caravan, Black Sheep Bellydance, Domba
    Tribal Fusion - Mardi Love, Rachel Brice, Sharon Kihara

Sita
    Last edited by Sita; 08-06-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: add my list

Post Thanks / Like

Egyptian Oriental- centered, cane, bedlah, elegant, covered, tight, baladi, sequins, zeffa
    Lebanese Oriental- heels, ruffles, fast, athletic, back bends
    Turkish Oriental- big, zills, out there, jumpy, 9/8, skimpy costumes, Ottoman, spinning, floor work
    American Oriental- props, cabaret, 7 part routine, restaurant, choreography, coins, belly rolls, tips
    ATS- hippy, California, group, tatoos, India, arms lifted, in-sync, tassels
    Tribal Fusion- goth, techno, mish-mash, experimental, piercings

Egyptian Oriental- Raquia Hassan, Fifi Abdo, Mona Said, Tito, Lucy, Randa, Suhair Zaki, Nagwa Fouad, Samia Gamal, Naima Akef
    Lebanese Oriental- Amani (don't know much about Lebanese, sorry!)
    Turkish Oriental- Reyhan, Tulay Karaca, Dandash, Princess Banu, Sema Yildiz, Nesrin Topkapi, Didem, Ozgen, Elcin, Eylul
    American Oriental- Morocco, Serena W., Veda Sereem, Jamila Salampour, Dahlena, Delilah Flynn, Rhea, Amaya, Jillina, Habiba
    ATS- Masha Archer, Carolena N.
    Tribal Fusion- Rachel Brice, Sera
    Last edited by Jane; 08-06-2008 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Forgot to name dancers- oops!

Post Thanks / Like

Egyptian Oriental: Cheeky/fun, sparkly bra/belts, dresses/power net, controlled, cane, hagalla, drum-solo,

Lebanese Oriental: Big heels,veil entrances, lots of onesided hipflicks left more than right)

Turkish Oriental: fast and showy, spins, hardly there costumes, sexyish, high heels,

American Oriental: mix of styles, props, snakes, group work, stunning costumes,

ATS: Colourful, zills, tattoos, headgear, big skirts, tribal jewellery, fringing/tassels

Tribal Fusion: Slow moves, tribal jewellery, sinuous, robotic/rap-ish, dark/earthy colours

Egyptian Oriental: Dina, Raquia Hassan, Fifi Abdo, Mona Said, Nagwa Fouad, Samia Gamal,

Lebanese Oriental: Yousra Hanem, Dalal, Asmahan, Dina Jamal

Turkish Oriental: Dandash, Asena,Topkapi, Didem, Elcin,

American Oriental: Ansuya, Amar Gamal, Morocco, Jillina, Sadie

ATS: FCBD, Red Lotus troupe, Devyani, Black Swan Tribe ( WA- AU) Ghawazi Caravan (NSW -AU)

Tribal Fusion: Rachel Brice, Sharon Kihara, Kassar, East Coast Tribal
    ~Mosaic
    Last edited by Mosaic; 08-06-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: bold headings

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a beginner when it comes to this kind of stuff, so here's the ideas a nooB might have:

Egyptian Oriental: upright, deliberate, smaller movements, from the center,
    Lebanese Oriental: shimmies, heels, boobcam (because most of the examples I've seen are from shows with those aggressive cameramen), flirty, contained
    Turkish Oriental: fast, jumps, spins, energetic, drops, circle skirts, skimpy skirts
    American Oriental: no accent, snake arms, hands above head in "temple pose"
    ATS: legalistic restrictions, Carolena, strenuous, strong group energy
    Tribal Fusion: experimental, "we are artists", youth-focused, modern dance influences, jazz dance influences, hip-hop dance influences, popping, hard to do well

Post Thanks / Like

Egyptian Oriental- orchestrated music,muscular driven movements done in a relaxed manner, layered moves within a complex phrase of music, bare feet,sweeps and glides, lifted but relaxed upper body, arms that frame. Direct influences form folkloric traditions
    Samia Gamal, Lucy, FiFi, Aida, Tito

Lebanese Oriental-energetic hip and upper body moves, sweeping arms and increased use of floor space. Veil work, high heels and forward center of gravity, no tummy covers. Build up and release of tension throughout the dance.Emotional
    Meissoun, Amani, Asmahan, Mark Balahadia

Turkish Oriental-Flamboyant, carefree, intricate pelvic and chest articulations, body punches and cuts, looser hip shimmes, steps and struts, hops and limps. Zills, veils and floorwork. Assertive yet feminine. Romany 9
    Sema Yeldiz, Nesrin Topkapi, Princess Banu, Eva Cernik, Artemis

American Oriental- the flamboyance of Turkish, control of Egyptian and energy of Lebanese styles. Incorporation of various props and folkloric elements of many dances..easily influenced by outside dance influences Latin, Hip-hop etc
    Suzanna Del Vecchio,Cassandra, Ava, Tarik, Amar Gamal, Salome

ATS- Indian, Flamenco and Egyptian influences. Intricate muscular moves that move along and beyond the natural body line..group vs solo. Incorpoation of various costuming style scene in Central and Southeast Asia. Zills, no veils,
    FCBD,Bal Anat,Black Sheep Bellydance, Gypsy Caravan, John Compton

Tribal Fusion-Creepy!
    Every tribal fusion dancer on BDSS!

Yasmine
    P.S. I think my bias is showing!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you could add some styles to the list, because you mentioned 'American Oriental', but for European, Australian etc. readers that is often not something they know much about. You could also add in some descriptions of styles from those countries. Europe is very influenced by Egyptian style, but their dancing often still look different, however it could become very hard to describe as there are so many countries and each has their own twist to it!
    Another style that is very popular now is 'tribaret' where tribal and cabaret style are combined (more info: Tribaret/Glamour Tribal Belly Dance - tribe.net). There are several different names used for this style, like gypsy glitsy, or glam tribal, but tribaret is the most popular word.

Post Thanks / Like

MOROCCO is American Oriental????

I have a great difference of opinion with ya'll on that one. I would classify the glorious M as definitely Mohammed Ali Street style Egyptian. Nadia Hamdi influence to the max.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    Maybe you could add some styles to the list, because you mentioned 'American Oriental', but for European, Australian etc. readers that is often not something they know much about. You could also add in some descriptions of styles from those countries. Europe is very influenced by Egyptian style, but their dancing often still look different, however it could become very hard to describe as there are so many countries and each has their own twist to it!
    Another style that is very popular now is 'tribaret' where tribal and cabaret style are combined (more info: Tribaret/Glamour Tribal Belly Dance - tribe.net). There are several different names used for this style, like gypsy glitsy, or glam tribal, but tribaret is the most popular word.
    I strongly agree with Amulya. Aussie style isn't the same as American cabaret. The influences appear to come from the Lebanese/Turkish population here with a strong Egyptian influence. Many Aussie dancers seek out Egyptian dancers and or travel to Egypt. I also think the tribal styles here are different, the basics are from America ( ATS/GC etc), so one could say we have "ATS" Aussie tribal Style

Tribaret is an expanding area, and appeals to the Australian dancers.
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mosaic on the Aussie Tribal style; they are very much into the ATS side of tribal, but put their own ideas in it. I haven't seen much tribal fusion, although some do Gothic Tribal in Brisbane. In Brisbane they are also a bit influenced by Greek belly dance, due to one of the dancers who is Greek.

But it will become really hard to start describing every single style in each country!

Btw, the Russian dancers have a specific style too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast