buzz words and dancers

Salome

Administrator
Hey all,

I'm revamping an article and wanted to see if I could involve you all. If you could use, let's say up to 10 words, to describe the following styles what would they be? And what dancers do you think define each style?

Egyptian Oriental
Lebanese Oriental
Turkish Oriental
American Oriental
ATS
Tribal Fusion

Sita

Hey all,

I'm revamping an article and wanted to see if I could involve you all. If you could use, let's say up to 10 words, to describe the following styles what would they be? And what dancers do you think define each style?

Sounds like an interesting article. now to put my thinking cap on ... :)

Egyptian Oriental - solo, elegant, smooth, internalised movement, controled, flows, graceful, full of emotion.
Lebanese Oriental - high heels, on the beat. (my knowledge is serious lacking here ;))
Turkish Oriental - flamboyant, floorwork, romany havasi (influence), zils, pelvic movement, athletic, engergetic, Karsilama rhythm
American Oriental - props, theatrical, glitzy, veil, visual, fantasy,
ATS - communual, interactive, group performance, improvisational, zills, body art, ethnic-style, N.African/Central Asian/Romany influences.
Tribal Fusion - snake-like, world dance influences, electronic, atmospheric, dark, moody, locks & pops, paced.

Egyptian Oriental - Suheir Zaki, Fifi Abdou, Dina, Randa, Aida Nour, Raquia Hassan, Naima Akef, Mona Said etc.
Lebanese Oriental - Nadia Gamal
Turkish Oriental - Elçin, Sema Yildiz, Eva Cernik, Nesrin Tokapi, Birgül Beray,
American Oriental - Aziza, Ansuya, Suhaila Salimpour, Suzanna del vecchio
ATS - Carolena Nerricco (sp) FCBD, Gypsy Caravan, Black Sheep Bellydance, Domba
Tribal Fusion - Mardi Love, Rachel Brice, Sharon Kihara

Sita

Last edited:

Jane

Egyptian Oriental- centered, cane, bedlah, elegant, covered, tight, baladi, sequins, zeffa
Lebanese Oriental- heels, ruffles, fast, athletic, back bends
Turkish Oriental- big, zills, out there, jumpy, 9/8, skimpy costumes, Ottoman, spinning, floor work
American Oriental- props, cabaret, 7 part routine, restaurant, choreography, coins, belly rolls, tips
ATS- hippy, California, group, tatoos, India, arms lifted, in-sync, tassels
Tribal Fusion- goth, techno, mish-mash, experimental, piercings

Egyptian Oriental- Raquia Hassan, Fifi Abdo, Mona Said, Tito, Lucy, Randa, Suhair Zaki, Nagwa Fouad, Samia Gamal, Naima Akef
Lebanese Oriental- Amani (don't know much about Lebanese, sorry!)
Turkish Oriental- Reyhan, Tulay Karaca, Dandash, Princess Banu, Sema Yildiz, Nesrin Topkapi, Didem, Ozgen, Elcin, Eylul
American Oriental- Morocco, Serena W., Veda Sereem, Jamila Salampour, Dahlena, Delilah Flynn, Rhea, Amaya, Jillina, Habiba
ATS- Masha Archer, Carolena N.
Tribal Fusion- Rachel Brice, Sera

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Egyptian Oriental: Cheeky/fun, sparkly bra/belts, dresses/power net, controlled, cane, hagalla, drum-solo,

Lebanese Oriental: Big heels,veil entrances, lots of onesided hipflicks left more than right)

Turkish Oriental: fast and showy, spins, hardly there costumes, sexyish, high heels,

American Oriental: mix of styles, props, snakes, group work, stunning costumes,

ATS: Colourful, zills, tattoos, headgear, big skirts, tribal jewellery, fringing/tassels

Tribal Fusion: Slow moves, tribal jewellery, sinuous, robotic/rap-ish, dark/earthy colours

Egyptian Oriental: Dina, Raquia Hassan, Fifi Abdo, Mona Said, Nagwa Fouad, Samia Gamal,

Lebanese Oriental: Yousra Hanem, Dalal, Asmahan, Dina Jamal

Turkish Oriental: Dandash, Asena,Topkapi, Didem, Elcin,

American Oriental: Ansuya, Amar Gamal, Morocco, Jillina, Sadie

ATS: FCBD, Red Lotus troupe, Devyani, Black Swan Tribe ( WA- AU) Ghawazi Caravan (NSW -AU)

Tribal Fusion: Rachel Brice, Sharon Kihara, Kassar, East Coast Tribal
~Mosaic

Last edited:

da Sage

I'm just a beginner when it comes to this kind of stuff, so here's the ideas a nooB might have:

Egyptian Oriental: upright, deliberate, smaller movements, from the center,
Lebanese Oriental: shimmies, heels, boobcam (because most of the examples I've seen are from shows with those aggressive cameramen), flirty, contained
Turkish Oriental: fast, jumps, spins, energetic, drops, circle skirts, skimpy skirts
American Oriental: no accent, snake arms, hands above head in "temple pose"
ATS: legalistic restrictions, Carolena, strenuous, strong group energy
Tribal Fusion: experimental, "we are artists", youth-focused, modern dance influences, jazz dance influences, hip-hop dance influences, popping, hard to do well

Egyptian Oriental- orchestrated music,muscular driven movements done in a relaxed manner, layered moves within a complex phrase of music, bare feet,sweeps and glides, lifted but relaxed upper body, arms that frame. Direct influences form folkloric traditions
Samia Gamal, Lucy, FiFi, Aida, Tito

Lebanese Oriental-energetic hip and upper body moves, sweeping arms and increased use of floor space. Veil work, high heels and forward center of gravity, no tummy covers. Build up and release of tension throughout the dance.Emotional
Meissoun, Amani, Asmahan, Mark Balahadia

Turkish Oriental-Flamboyant, carefree, intricate pelvic and chest articulations, body punches and cuts, looser hip shimmes, steps and struts, hops and limps. Zills, veils and floorwork. Assertive yet feminine. Romany 9
Sema Yeldiz, Nesrin Topkapi, Princess Banu, Eva Cernik, Artemis

American Oriental- the flamboyance of Turkish, control of Egyptian and energy of Lebanese styles. Incorporation of various props and folkloric elements of many dances..easily influenced by outside dance influences Latin, Hip-hop etc
Suzanna Del Vecchio,Cassandra, Ava, Tarik, Amar Gamal, Salome

ATS- Indian, Flamenco and Egyptian influences. Intricate muscular moves that move along and beyond the natural body line..group vs solo. Incorpoation of various costuming style scene in Central and Southeast Asia. Zills, no veils,
FCBD,Bal Anat,Black Sheep Bellydance, Gypsy Caravan, John Compton

Tribal Fusion-Creepy!
Every tribal fusion dancer on BDSS!

Yasmine
P.S. I think my bias is showing!:rolleyes:

Amulya

Maybe you could add some styles to the list, because you mentioned 'American Oriental', but for European, Australian etc. readers that is often not something they know much about. You could also add in some descriptions of styles from those countries. Europe is very influenced by Egyptian style, but their dancing often still look different, however it could become very hard to describe as there are so many countries and each has their own twist to it!
Another style that is very popular now is 'tribaret' where tribal and cabaret style are combined (more info: Tribaret/Glamour Tribal Belly Dance - tribe.net). There are several different names used for this style, like gypsy glitsy, or glam tribal, but tribaret is the most popular word.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

MOROCCO is American Oriental????

I have a great difference of opinion with ya'll on that one. I would classify the glorious M as definitely Mohammed Ali Street style Egyptian. Nadia Hamdi influence to the max.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Maybe you could add some styles to the list, because you mentioned 'American Oriental', but for European, Australian etc. readers that is often not something they know much about. You could also add in some descriptions of styles from those countries. Europe is very influenced by Egyptian style, but their dancing often still look different, however it could become very hard to describe as there are so many countries and each has their own twist to it!
Another style that is very popular now is 'tribaret' where tribal and cabaret style are combined (more info: Tribaret/Glamour Tribal Belly Dance - tribe.net). There are several different names used for this style, like gypsy glitsy, or glam tribal, but tribaret is the most popular word.

I strongly agree with Amulya. Aussie style isn't the same as American cabaret. The influences appear to come from the Lebanese/Turkish population here with a strong Egyptian influence. Many Aussie dancers seek out Egyptian dancers and or travel to Egypt. I also think the tribal styles here are different, the basics are from America ( ATS/GC etc), so one could say we have "ATS" Aussie tribal Style :lol:

Tribaret is an expanding area, and appeals to the Australian dancers.
~Mosaic

Amulya

I agree with Mosaic on the Aussie Tribal style; they are very much into the ATS side of tribal, but put their own ideas in it. I haven't seen much tribal fusion, although some do Gothic Tribal in Brisbane. In Brisbane they are also a bit influenced by Greek belly dance, due to one of the dancers who is Greek.

But it will become really hard to start describing every single style in each country!

Btw, the Russian dancers have a specific style too!

Salome

Administrator
The Russians, by and large, try to emulate Egyptian style. Albeit with their own 'accent' in some cases but I don't think I would classify it as a seperate style unto itself. That's just me though.

walladah

about the oriental styles

Hello everybody, this is how I perceive the styles you mention:

Egyptian oriental: Well, I could also do the same to hypnotise a snake, but actually it is more fun, hypnotising humans!... (Do you like me? Take care, I could be poisonous, too).

Lebanese oriental: We [plural of majesty] have decided to seduce everybody here and there will be no mercy for those who dare to look at us [plural of majesty]. (We [plural of majesty] hate high heels).

Turkish oriental: I used to amuse the Sultan and his high officers, but given there is no Sultan anymore, I am going to amuse you tonight (No, being locked in a harem was never my style).

American Oriental: Hi, there are many things to discuss, you and I, tonight, there are many jokes to have fun with, you and I, tonight – who’s the handsome guy over there? (you are so, but, I ’m sorry, you can’t have me!)

American Tribal Style: We are many, we are beautiful and we are powerful (and we know that if we, instead, marched for women’s rights, our audience would be far less in numbers and applauding).

Tribal fusion: I master the earth, the wind, water and fire, thunder and lightning, the ocean’s waves and the volcanos’ lava (and you are very lucky I am in a good mood today).

As for the dancers, I would prefer not to mention any, first because I think oriental dance is integrated somehow, not in appearance, but in essence, and second, because I think that I would be mean to categorise the dancers into one style, especially if they have not done so by themselves. An example: Naima Akef is Egyptian and categorized as an Egyptian style dancer, but if she danced today, she would also be considered as a Lebanese oriental dancer, and in any case, who am I to say what is Naima Akef?

Amulya

The Russians, by and large, try to emulate Egyptian style. Albeit with their own 'accent' in some cases but I don't think I would classify it as a seperate style unto itself. That's just me though.

They do, but still their style looks different, it seems that lots of them have a background in ballet and it is very visible to me. But maybe it also depends on which dancers we have seen, I only know them from youtube.

Samira bint Aya

I also find that Russian style is very distinctive and influenced by ballet a lot. Perhaps because many of the dancers have a ballet background or maybe ballet is such a strong part of Eastern European dancing culture, that it is ingrained… Perhaps some of our Eastern European Forum members can enlighten me here…

However, the same can be said for Japanese, as well as Latin American dancers as well. We are all influenced by our local cultures and musical traditions.

When I was watching an international competition in Cairo, I could definitely observe different “dancing cultures”. Personally, I can also distinguish a Greek style also (because I am greek!:))

Also, the audience in different cultures has different notions of “beauty”, or “entertainment” and may have different expectations from performers. So the professionals in different countries have to cater to different expectations from the paying audience, and adjust their style accordingly.

Maria_Aya

Egyptian oriental: Well, I could also do the same to hypnotise a snake, but actually it is more fun, hypnotising humans!... (Do you like me? Take care, I could be poisonous, too).

Lebanese oriental: We [plural of majesty] have decided to seduce everybody here and there will be no mercy for those who dare to look at us [plural of majesty]. (We [plural of majesty] hate high heels).

Turkish oriental: I used to amuse the Sultan and his high officers, but given there is no Sultan anymore, I am going to amuse you tonight (No, being locked in a harem was never my style).

American Oriental: Hi, there are many things to discuss, you and I, tonight, there are many jokes to have fun with, you and I, tonight – who’s the handsome guy over there? (you are so, but, I ’m sorry, you can’t have me!)

American Tribal Style: We are many, we are beautiful and we are powerful (and we know that if we, instead, marched for women’s rights, our audience would be far less in numbers and applauding).

Tribal fusion: I master the earth, the wind, water and fire, thunder and lightning, the ocean’s waves and the volcanos’ lava (and you are very lucky I am in a good mood today).

As for the dancers, I would prefer not to mention any, first because I think oriental dance is integrated somehow, not in appearance, but in essence, and second, because I think that I would be mean to categorise the dancers into one style, especially if they have not done so by themselves. An example: Naima Akef is Egyptian and categorized as an Egyptian style dancer, but if she danced today, she would also be considered as a Lebanese oriental dancer, and in any case, who am I to say what is Naima Akef?

I dont know who you are, but I'm sooooooo HAPPY that you exist and you are living in Greece right? !!!! knowledge and great sense of humor !!!!
Maria Aya :)

belly_dancer

hehehe.... FABULOUS descriptions!
are you Greek??

Mark_Balahadia

Hey Salome and everyone,

I'm currently writing an article for Oriental Dance.net on Lebanese style...still on going...I'm not done yet! Sorry :rolleyes:

Sita

Hey Salome and everyone,

I'm currently writing an article for Oriental Dance.net on Lebanese style...still on going...I'm not done yet! Sorry :rolleyes:

Thank you!! I really need to read this; Lebanese style is a big gap in my overall understanding of Oriental dance (as I'm sure you could all tell :)). I'm at the moment studying clips I've found but you never know for sure if the dancers are good examples of Lebanese belly dance. I'm also really intrigued by the suggestion Naima Akef dancing today would be labeled more Lebanese could somone please elaborate on this ?
Thank you

Sita