Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Aw, I forget, your physiology is different from ours.

But aside from dance women with fat over muscle is it for me, the look of nature, reality.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Artemocion Malta View Post
    Amazing! It's like he's had some ribs taken out, haha!

Post Thanks / Like

its good to have toned muscles,for sure you will be able to flutter better for example and to bellyroll nicely...but i see that when dancers are to muscelair they have to work very hard to get nice shymmys done and keep them smooth for a while,because its all just to ,,tite,, and they have a problem to nicley relax the area...just try to remember when you see dancers when they are to musculair how the shymy,s look? and if its nice relaxed and how long can they stick it or after 20 seconds the party is over,...so muscles is nice but dont overdo....its nice for somethings not nice for other things....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Belly roll ...

Quote Originally Posted by belly_dancer View Post
    that's actually a yoga move....(not even "new".... & not even sideways... if you notice... his movement is coming from his rib cage slide.... not his belly) to see a belly dancer.. look up Delilah.... or better yet.... is it Fatiem (Fateim???/fatima???) in southern CA..... her belly work is PHENOMENAL ....

surely someone out there knows of whom I speak & can link us up!!...

however you are correct... it IS all muscle= memory/strength/ flexibility... and no fat will not "help".... but to a degree, it does not hurt either....(a nice "layer" on top... like icing on a cake.. if you will)
    I am not sure if u watched all the video... But at some point after the freaky thing he does that looks like he is rolling from the sides , then he does the belly roll, as in the up till down belly roll of belly dance..like the one of rachel brice .Of course his looks different , i mean not everyone 's belly is the same so usually one belly when it rolls will be different from another. I think the guy named it "new" belly roll just because it was new to him, as in "a new video" i think. Well no fat doesn't help a belly roll and doesn't hinder it either which is a plus because everyone can do it like that

whatever that guy is doing with the sides..it looks a bit freaky but soo special .

Post Thanks / Like

Perfectly put Lydia

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you BD siblings for all the info! I wish my belly movements will be more pronounced. Is daily practice necessary? Tips please?

Post Thanks / Like

Hinde Angela, I think if you have well developed abdominals the scope (certainly the strength) is there to learn to control them and do great belly work. That being said, I hardly ever do belly rolls in performance and so am not a good belly roller for lack of practice!

One thing I had to work hard at though in the abdominal area, after years of martial arts/weight training/running/etc., was to really relax during some movements, especially shimmies. At first I hardly got any movement because of muscle tension in my abdominals and obliques - but with focus and practice I managed to relax more and get bigger, more regular shimmies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maylynn View Post
    One thing I had to work hard at though in the abdominal area, after years of martial arts/weight training/running/etc., was to really relax during some movements, especially shimmies. At first I hardly got any movement because of muscle tension in my abdominals and obliques - but with focus and practice I managed to relax more and get bigger, more regular shimmies.
    Wohooow, Maylynn, you perform already. Way to go, girl!

We're the same. I've also been into competitive sports for many years, mostly outdoor and I was amazed at my stiffness when I started belly dancing, hahaha! I am doing only belly dancing now and I'm ecstatic to have seen improvement,albeit a little. So if I go back to running and weights, it won't affect the belly dancing, right? How often do you practice?

I'll take your advice - practice, practice, practice!

Salamat, Maylynn!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maylynn View Post
    Hinde Angela, I think if you have well developed abdominals the scope (certainly the strength) is there to learn to control them and do great belly work. That being said, I hardly ever do belly rolls in performance and so am not a good belly roller for lack of practice!
    I'm not sure why anyone does belly rolls in performance! Is it because they think the name is "belly dance" so that is what should move?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like them!! And I don't like belly flutters either! Has anyone see the Egyptian dancers do them, or is it more of a western influence?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast