receipe for falafel

Demelza

yeah I'll tell you how to make it .......

(By the way, in Arabic it's called Ta'meya !! xx)

You'll need:

2 big handfulls of skinned white beans
small handfull of fresh parsley leaves
small handfull of fresh dill leaves
small handfull of fresh corriander
2 onions
10 garlic cloves
2 pinches of baking soda
2 pinches of cumin
salt
small handfull of semami seeds
cooking oil

Soak the beans overnight. Next day drain them and smash together with the parsley, dill, corriander, onions, garlic, baking soda and cumin and salt. and leave it for 1 hour to stand. Then with wet hands, shape small amounts into small disc shapes (about 1 and a half inches wide and 2 cm thick), coat them in the sesami seeds and deep fry !! mmmmm.....

(I say mmmm....although i overdosed on them once :mad: and have never eaten them since xx)

belly taz

thanx for that D i will go shopping tomorrow to buy the ingredents....i will let you know how they turn out...:)

Mayte

I had this once at a Lebanese/Met. resturant in San diego ( Rannoosh in Hilcrest/Downtown SD), just incase anyone wants to look it up, the food is great! :D Maybe I'll try to make some! thanks for the recipe!

Demelza

U'r welcome Mayte x .....There is a Tarboush, Ranoush, Yanoush, Ayoush and a Maroush all on Edgeware Road in London....all owned by a Lebanese guy. I wonder if its the same geeza who owns the one all those thousands of miles away in San Diego. He's loaded :) ! Nice food x

IBelly Taz, am not good at alot of things...buy I have to admit that I am a wicked cook ! and I know how to make most arabic food.......I'll write you sum tomorrow x

Last edited:

Demelza

Egyptian Rice

This one took years of practice to get it just right! Forget learning from a recipe book, this method is the way the real Egyptian women do it .......

You'll need:

2 glasses of short grain rice (washed to get rid of all the starch)
2 and a half glasses of water (1 and a half cold, and 1 hot)
3 chicken stock cubes
1 good handfull of vermicelli (those tiny little pasta noodles)
about quarter of a glass of oil

(if you want to make more, do not double the quantity of water....this is the secret. If say, you have 3 glasses of rice, then use 3 and a half glasses of water, if you use 1 glasse of rice, use 1 and a half glasses of water and so on, - always just half a glass more of water than the rice !)

Fry the vermicelli in the pan with the oil, on a high heat untill they go brown. (stir them all the time because they change colour very quickly, and don't let them burn)

As soon as the vermicelli has turned brown, throw in the rice and stir well, untill each grain has a fine coating of oil, and is becoming hot...

When you feel that the pan really can't stand getting any hotter, throw in the cold water (this bit makes a wonderfull loud hissing noise)....Stir.

Disolve the chicken stock cubes in the glass of hot water and add that aswell.

Stir the rice untill the water just starts to bubble. Then immediately cover and turn the heat down to the lowest possible setting.

Now leave the rice to cook, and DO NOT open the cover for at least 40 minutes.

There will be no water to drain, and the rice will be just superb. It will be fluffy and delicious, and don't worry if some of the rice is stuck to the bottom of the pan, this is the best part, which is crisp and golden brown (a delicasy at the table!):p

Demelza

By the way, if you can get hold of a book called 'Memories of a lost Egypt' by Colette Rossant, it's really worth reading it. It's one of my favourite books and I treasure it dearly.
The author is french, and writes of the lost Egypt of her childhood when she was abandoned by her flighty, widowed mother to be raised by her Egyptian grandparents in pre-world war II. . . She has a passionate relationship with both food and Egypt, and has produced a beautiful memoir with recipes xx:)

belly taz

kool thanx for that....i will try the rice this week all the girls from class are getting together so i will make it and take it along... just one thing no salt or spices in the rice.

Demelza

good point ! forgot about the salt....salt to taste. (but no need for spices, the chicken stock should give it all the flavour it needs as it's usually eaten with flavoured meats, vegetables etc) xx let me know how it went x

Demelza

Personally i can't actually 'taste' the vermicelli but it always makes it look nice, and the egyptians always use it !! You can also make it without, by frying a handfull of the rice in the oil first instead, and then when it's all finished the rice is speckled with some brown rice (again, looks pretty).
There is another method for the rice that they cook to eat with fish. It's made with white rice but looks dark brown when it's finished and it's cooked with onions. i'll post the recipe for that if anyone's interested xx

Demelza

Ok, here goes for....

Brown Rice to be Eaten with Fish !!

You'll need:

2 glasses of short grain rice (washed to get rid of all the starch)
2 and a half glasses of water (1 and a half cold, and 1 hot)
4 chicken stock cubes
3 large onions
Half a glass of oil
Salt

(Again, if you want to make more, do not double the quantity of water....this is the secret. If say, you have 3 glasses of rice, then use 3 and a half glasses of water, if you use 1 glasse of rice, use 1 and a half glasses of water and so on, - always just half a glass more of water than the rice !)

Dice the onions and fry in the pan with the oil, on a high heat. Now you want these onions to go a deep golden brown, patience is a vurtue !!

Dissolve the chicken stock in the hot water, and add to the golden brown onions. Then add the cold water and the salt. Now simmer for at least 8 minutes. And put to one side.

Heat a little more oil in another pan, and throw in all the rice. Stiring so that all of the rice has a fine coating of oil.

When the pan with the rice has got really hot, pour in the onion 'stock', stiring for another couple of minutes. Then immediately cover and turn the heat down to the lowest possible setting.

Now leave the rice to cook, and DO NOT open the cover for at least 40 minutes.

There will be no water to drain, and the rice will be just superb. It will be fluffy and delicious,with some of the onions laying delicately on the top of the rice. The rice should be a lovely deep brown colour. If it isn't a mid to dark brown, next time cook the onions for longer in the beggining, and also leave to boil for a little longer with the water before adding it to the rice. .. and again,don't worry if some of the rice is stuck to the bottom of the pan, this is the best part, which is crisp and golden brown (a delicasy at the table!)

This rice is to be eaten with fresh whole fish (baked in the oven) - Seabass is always a good choice, and a fresh, finely chopped salsa salad with lots of corriander, and warm pitta breads!! xx enjoy :p

Last edited:

Demelza

Hello ladies and gentlemen. :) Today we are going to cook 'Mashi'. This is the best Egyptian dish ever and you will probably know it as 'stuffed vine leaves'. Well, 'Mashi' can mean stuffed vine leaves, but it can also mean stuffed peppers, stuffed aubergine, stuffed cabbage leaves and stuffed corguettes (spelling?). Today we are cooking 'Mashi' in the form of stuffed corguettes (spelling?) !!!! It is my ex sister-in-laws recipe (and she's a wicked cook!!!)

So, are you watching carefully? ......

You will need:

2 Kilos of corguettes (spelling?)
if you can find them, the best ones are the small light green ones from arab/african shops

2 glasses of short grain rice
2 big onions
8 big tomatoes
half glass of olive oil
1 bunch of fesh corriander
1 bunch of fres parsley
1 desert spoon of vegetable stock powder
salt and pepper
2 glasses of water (room temperature)

Now, to start we will dice the onions. Fry in all the olive oil untill soft but not too brown. Squash and sqeeeeeze the tomatoes with our hands (washed hands only please ;) !), and throw them in with the onions. Now we will add half of the corriander and parsley and lots of salt and pepper !! mmmm........Lets leave this to simmer and thicken for about 10 minutes (and take a fag break - that means cigarette in england, not gay). Back in the kitchen, we will throw in all the rice and take it off the heat. Now throw in the rest of the corriander and parsley and stir it well.

Ok, thats that done, now we need to 'empty' the corgeuttes (spelling?). I like to use a blunt knife to hollow them out, however that all depends on today's mood ladies ;) !!! Remember we WILL be using the flesh so keep it to one side. Soooooo lets get stuffing !! Leave at least half an inch at the entrance to give room for the rice to expand.
Now we will put the flesh from the corgeuttes (spelling?) at the bottom of a big pan and lay the stuffed ones in tightyly packed layers (the face of one to the back of another). We'll put the stock powder in 1 glass of water and mix it well and add it to the pan. and then another glass of water. We DONT want the corugettes (spelling?) to be fully submerged. Now wait till the water starts to bubble and then turn the heat RIGHT DOWN. cover and wait a while. . . . . . . . . . . . . mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I'll let you into a little secret, I know a police officer. And when he invites me to go to his house to visit his family, the 'Mashi' is the only reason I agree ;) !! xx
Demelza xx

Last edited:

Mair

Demelza, I can't wait to try that recipe (and all the others- they all sound delicious!). I appreciate your sharing them with us, thank you! :)

xoxox

Moon

Dear Cooking teacher Demelza, your recipes sound so wonderful (and there are a lot of things I don't like to eat, so it's a big compliment! ;)) I defenitely try the mashi some day :)

My request: do you know some nice desserts? (I like desserts)

Demelza said:
corgeuttes (spelling?)

Courgettes :)

Demelza

Mair - thankyou for showing me your appreciation, I appreciate that ! xx :)

Moon - thankyou for the correct spelling of corguette, no, corugette, oh dear, I can't see what you put as i'm typing this, oh well thanks for the spelling, and mmmmm, lets see, deserts..........

oh yes I don't know many but I know how to make Ruz bi leban - their rice pudding that they eat cold, and I kown how to make Sahlab (a lovely winter warming drink that can almost be eaten as a pudding !) - so not too much choice from Demelza's kitchen on the sweet front but If you like it we can cook it !! love Dxx

Moon

I don't know if I like it but I probably know after I've read the recipe (or after I've tried it out) but I'm sure even if I don't like it, others will, xx

(Demelza dear, you can see every message has these 3 "buttons" in the bottom right corner? Quote, a piece of paper with quotation marks and apiece of paper with a pen. Just click on the piece of paper with the pen, and then you can type a reply and still watch the other posts.)