A new lover of the art :)

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across belly dance by complete chance. I was visiting my sister and we wanted to work out, and she told me about a program she saw on FitTV called "Shimmy." We tried it out one night and my sister said it was pretty fun, but I was HOOKED! The movements, the costumes, the music, the beautiful dancers.

There aren't any belly dancing classes around me yet, but I've been faithfully doing Shimmy every day for about a month and a half, as well as renting books and DVDs on belly dancing from the library. I love that I am toning my muscles while I learn the dance, and my mental health has improved 100% in the past six weeks - I feel great about myself! I'm only 19, but I have never before felt myself as graceful and sensual - more like clumsy and awkward! I feel like this is the start of a huge change in my life. Some new part of me has been awakened that has been sleeping my whole life.

So sorry for the long introduction, but I just want to introduce myself and tell you all that I certainly appreciate the love of your dance. I'm hoping these forums will provide me with encouragement and help me with my new favorite hobby!

Many thanks,
Brittany

Mercedes

Explore your new interest with free subscription to Shimmy Chronicles

Hi, explore that interest, meet many others who share the same interest nationally and internationally. Join into the discussion yourself, even if new, your observations will be most welcome. Also, they tend to make the veterans pause and ask, "...why do we do that!" Shimmy Chronicles dance magazine - Subscribe now for your FREE copy!

Enjoy your dancing experience, it is the type of dance that stays with you through out your life. Mercedes

Victoria

Hello Starless and Bible Black!

I too am new to this site and belly dancing (been taking it for a little over a year now). I'm glad to see you're hooked! I'm also 19 years of age and it has honestly been something amazing in my life. You're going to love it and I can't wait until you start taking classes, you think you're hooked now? Wait until the classes! haha.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the forums (I mostly read them and haven't really posted yet since I'm not sure what to do/say in some of them haha), but have a great time! And if you need any advice from a beginner, I'm more than willing to help you out. =)

Have a great day/night!
~Victoria

Lotus Dancer

Hello and Welcome,
It certainly is great for the self esteem.
Just wait till you put on your 1st coin belt, or play with your 1st silk veil, not to mention your 1st georgeous costume.
It is definately addictive
Smiles to you from Down Under
Lotus Dancer

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Hi & Hope you can find a class soon, - your bellydance 'horizons' will certainly expand once you start taking classes.

BD becones very 'addictive' very fast, as you have found out:D
Enjoy!
~Mosaic

Thanks for kind words everyone. :) I will probably be more of a reader than a poster for now, but it is nice to feel welcome.

BD becones very 'addictive' very fast, as you have found out :D

Don't I know it...my muscles have been aching for a day off (and I need to give them one so I don't injure myself), but it's so addicting I don't want to take a day off! (can't say I've ever felt that way about anything fitness related before, heh)