Who is your inspiration in belly dancing?

lizaj

Are they actually bellydancers. Anyone seen them? i always assumed they were fitness instructors!!

I had one of their DVDs. They are not bad. Nice clear instruction. I've seen better and I've seen far worse. Light and frothy and not offensive.
The worst thing about them is they are so darn smiley and pretty:rolleyes:

Caroline_afifi

Of course I love Randa and Nancy in Cairo.

From the past I like Mona Said and Fifi Abdou.

For mental stimulation.. everyone on this forum.

Personal conversation and dance Sara Farouk and also Houda Amrani for her North African and fabulous Shaabi.

Tuna, from a Shaabi Club in Cairo.. what a character.

There are of course many many more but these are the ones who stand out for me.

AngelaJP

Neena and Veena Bidasha

Oh yes, I also have 3 of their instructional videos. True, their instructions are very clearly explained and performed but I got bored with them probably because I like some choreography too. I think I have their most basic exercise videos. I think they dance very well in their intro and finales though.

I just wish there were intermediate/advanced or more interesting belly dance instructional videos in my area. The only foreign belly dance videos are the basic ones of Neena and Veena. I have heard great things about "Heartbeat of Bellydance" but it's so expensive if I have it shipped to the Philippines!

Neena and Veena must be so famous!

jenc

I have never seen anything showing them dance seriously..... there is one clip of veil work by one of them but it is very repetitive and obviously from some teaching vid....... They always seem competant but souless. And I dislike their extreme posture in the teaching vids. i tried it and fell over. They also don't make use of the fact that there are 2 of them to show different angles, slightly diff postures etc. this is a minor niggle I know, but you get a better idea from say, Jenna who dances in front of a mirror

Darbla

Ansuya for American cabaret, Sadie for drum solos, Rachel Brice for tribal. But I've only recently been introduced to bellydance so I don't really know many but the recent famous ones. I'm sure there would be some from the past I'd be just as enthusiastic about.

Wow, that clip of Sadie is increadable, there's someone who has absolute control of her body!

I always seem to be gaining new inspirations, but the people who truely motivate me...[well after seeing that clip, I think I might have another to add to the list!]

All of the Indigo girls are beautiful and inspiration in their own right.
Rachel Brice was probably my first big hit on bellydance, when one day I went searching through youtube to learn more about it, I'm still mezmerized by that Snake Charmer video...

And Zoe's power and stage presence, and the passion/depth/agression of her performances are something I connect with when I watch her.

When I took a workshop with Mardi I was blown away, I hadn't really noticed her before, but she has such grace, and coordination, not just in body but between her body and her mind, Like Sadie, you can tell she's someone who has spent hour upon hour drilling and learning that coordination, but in a much softer/more demure manner it seems [based on the one clip I've seen of Sadie of course].

Sara Beaman who inspired my first costume and song choice in my first choreography, and my initial dance style with this clip [ YouTube - Sword Dance Improv ]

Lately, I've really found myself drawn to the dancers and music of the Golden Era.

And I have to say my teacher Jane Archer, because she always displays such generosity and knowledge, and encourages us [as students and/or members of the student troupe] to take as many classes as we can, or workshops from really good dancers when they are in the area, and because she really feels the music when she dances, the way she teaches...just the person she is makes me want to be as kind and light of a person and as knowledgeable a dancer and teacher.

kayshier

Neena and Veena Bidasha

Oh yes, I also have 3 of their instructional videos. True, their instructions are very clearly explained and performed but I got bored with them probably because I like some choreography too. I think I have their most basic exercise videos. I think they dance very well in their intro and finales though.

I just wish there were intermediate/advanced or more interesting belly dance instructional videos in my area. The only foreign belly dance videos are the basic ones of Neena and Veena. I have heard great things about "Heartbeat of Bellydance" but it's so expensive if I have it shipped to the Philippines!

Neena and Veena must be so famous!

have you tried ebay to see if you can bid on the heartbeat of bellydance dvd?
i have found jenna's instructions very well explained...for her basic, and intermediate bellydance videos as well. I think they are a good starting point for any student who does not have a teacher easily available, or wishes to supplement her classes with a teacher.

AngelaJP

have you tried ebay to see if you can bid on the heartbeat of bellydance dvd?
i have found jenna's instructions very well explained...for her basic, and intermediate bellydance videos as well. I think they are a good starting point for any student who does not have a teacher easily available, or wishes to supplement her classes with a teacher.

I haven't tried bidding or buying online at all but I'll give it a try. Yes I have read nice reviews also about Jenna's instructional dvd - she's the one who instructs infront of a mirror, right? I might also ask a friend from the US who's coming to visit to check if she can get the dvd's. Thank you, Kayshier! :)

Got to agree with LizaJ and Caroline about Houda! Her joy in the dance and authentic expression have been a genuine inspiration for me and watching her helped me immeasurably with my own expression of the dance. You just can't help but want to join in when you see that smile! She is a kind and generous teacher too, I have learned a lot from her and we are lucky to have her here in Leeds.

I totally agree about Randa too, she is just so exciting to watch - and what a powerful stage presence! She has blown me away every time I have seen her.

Aida Noor - so feminine and sensual, subtle but in the music, Asmahan - her dramatic approach gave me a new perspective.

Tahia Carioca from the "Golden Age". I always prefered her to Samia, again it's that sensuality!

Got to add Khaled Mahmoud and Tito. Khaled brings the house down every time I see him perform and Tito was fabulous when I saw him at Egyptian Moonlight!

Finally, my students - their friendship, enjoyment and enthusiasm pushes me to teach better, to perform better and to constantly challenge myself as a dancer.

karena

You know call me silly but my inspirations are much closer to home. I am really lucky to have a good few great dancers where I live, and for me at the moment they are my inspiration. I have learnt from all sorts of people like Randa, and don't get me wrong, that is great too, but at the stage I am with the dance they are like celebrities to me, there is almost too much awe to convert into inspiration, if that makes sense. Whereas my teachers, and the people they dance with are my inspirations. They all have different talents and things to add and learn from, they are the most wonderful generous people and they create a great atmosphere in which to learn and be students together. I'm sure that my inspiration will change as I learn more and more, but that where I'm at at the moment.

Tracey

dont forget the music

For me looking back not only can I lay my cap squarely at the open door documentry doorstep and say Fifi who blew me away then and even more so the few times I was lucky enough to see her live in Cairo. The music the music the voices of Halim Hafez Sabah Latifa etc etc is one of my ongoing inspirations.
The list

Monique my first teacher so new so Egyptian I know now my god she trained with Ibrahim Akeif !!!!!!!!
Naima Akeif
Samia Gamal
ok that there Sara the first teacher to really correct my technique
Rhanda
Fifi
Susie White who blew me and my husband away with her beautiful sharqi at her hafla
Khaled we go back a while and I love seeing his rise to fame
my girls all of them with the agency all beautiful people
my students the most demanding audience I have ever had
Eman Zaki
Raqia for changing the role of the foreign dancer
Dandesh at the Sunset 1999 amazing made me cry
Bozenka a true lady of the stage
Aida
urmm so many and more to come and ladies dont forget the music the crooners the pop stars the diva's without them where would we be.

Jet Phoenix

There is a dancer in the Dallas/Ft Worth (Texas) area, Vashti. When I watch her dance, my heart swells, and I feel like crying. I don't know what it is about her, but she is amazing.

janet

amazing nour

i love nour,she is amazing.she always do a great job .her dance is very elegant ,emotional,so perfect.i wanna dance like she does.but know ,i just do some basic movements.:(

Pirika Repun

I love Fifi. I like Aszmara in NY area. Her performance is dynamic and powerful.

I also love and get inspiration from male dancers. Of course my teacher Tarik... he is my motivator, and mentor and no question Tito! ;)

da Sage

I haven't tried bidding or buying online at all but I'll give it a try. Yes I have read nice reviews also about Jenna's instructional dvd - she's the one who instructs infront of a mirror, right? I might also ask a friend from the US who's coming to visit to check if she can get the dvd's. Thank you, Kayshier! :)

Actually, teaching in front of a mirror is pretty common - Jillina, Rachel B., and Michelle have videos shot in front of mirrors, too. I like it, because it's more like a real class.

Amri_

Before my inspiration was my aunt. She is the one who started teaching me when I was a teenager. Now it's Didem. When I saw her in Turkey on Ibo show for the 1st time, I felt the connection & similarity of style, plus I'm also very flexible, so it's never hard for me to copy her dance when I preform. I recorded this show & shown it to my aunt, saying:" See! And U said that I am the skinniest belly dancer ever! " Hahaha.. Didem is only 1 year older than me. Before I've never paid attention to someone of my age as to an example of smth. But Didem is really worth it. Hope when I'm back to Turkey I will have a chance to meet her one day.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Karena's astute remark abut inspirations closer to home made me realize that I failed to credit two very important women in my dancing and teaching life. Anoush of Fresno, CA was the first live belly dancer I ever saw. She danced at the Fresno State University student union building in the mid-seventies and I never wanted anything more in my life than to be able to dance like she did. The other dancer who inspired me was Jacquie of Laramie, WY. If she hadn't placed her hand firmly in the middle of my back and forced me into dancing in public that first time, I never would've had all belly dance has given me through the years.

Here's to you, ladies, wherever you are now:clap:.